so what do you do in CPST classes?

becca011906

Senior Community Member
I'm wondering if i'm really going to sit in a chair for 9 hours reading or listen to leactures... ??? What do you do in class? is most of it hands on, or does it varry instructor to instructor? or what? i got an email yesterday that's my confermation and told us too read up on terms on NHTSA site to read threw... and to check out the info on preventinjury.org... there wre a few things on there that was great new info to me, but most i've learned here...

Also it asks that if we are willing to let our cars be used for hands on then be willing to let people in and out and crawling around in your car... ok fine with me, i emailed the instructor to find out if she had a preferance of which car i bring my discovery or the intrepid also if she was intrested in me bringing any of my car seats of my kids... they have spares at grandmas they could use 1 day a week for the day, ect. haven't heard back yet from her...

just wanted some info on thoes that have taken them! Thanks!

ADS

skaterbabs

about half of it is classroom instruction, some of which is listening to the instructors and some is playing with the different seats.

a few tips:

• leave your ings and home a cut your nails
  • where shirts that cover your rear, and are not low cut
  • stay quiet until you can guage the atmosphere and what kind of instructors you have
  • thouroughly clean out your car
  • wear comfortable shoes
  • take notes in yur manual - that way they're convient when you want to look for them later
  • memorize the NHTSA codes, they're a pain, but they're on the test
  • get plenty of rest
  • have a good breakfast so you can concentrate
  • you may want to not wear jeans, some places don't allow them anyway (My clas was at the police department training center and they have a "no jeans" rule)
  • keep a bottle of water with you so you don't have to leave the class if you get thirsty
  • dress in layers so that you don't get too hot or cold

becca011906

Senior Community Member
thanks, the classes are only 1 day a week for 4 weeks so hopefully it will be ok, hummm all the jean i own are low rise... hummm they do stay on my bum with a belt though that i always wear! LOL
nails OH NO! LOL i love my nails, :( but i guess if i trim them now maybe by the end of class 2/8 i can get them to grow back out by my vacation :)
Breakfast will be eaten in the car... b/c it's an hour and 10 min drive... i have to leave my house by 6:30 AM to take the kids to grandmas and drive up there, that leaves me about 20 min of ER time, just incase!
I think there are only about 6 of us taking the class or that's how many people the intructor sent the email too, the calss is at an state farm insurance office.
Just hope it fun! LOL

TXDani

Senior Community Member
I would suggest wearing something like a workout suit. You know like the Nike ones the have cute pants and a matching zip-up jacket and then wear a short sleeved t-shirt underneath. This way you can move around and contort yourself as you need and you are in layers...oh and your tush and upper back are covered!
I didn't do any studying before hand and had no problems learning the stuff we needed. If you frequent here then you probably will have no problems with the test...to *us* it is like common sense.:p

becca011906

Senior Community Member
LOL thanks for the advice danielle, that's kinda how i feel when i talk to our local cpstechs only they seem even a little out dated with some info...

becca011906

Senior Community Member
ok i've tried to search on the NHTSA site but can't figure it out what are the codes that you are talking about that need to be memorized for the test???

skaterbabs

Those are the motor vehicle codes that explain what NHTSA does, and how car seats and seatbelts, ect should perform

flipper68

Senior Community Member
Most everything else has been covered (Hee-hee).

My class was about 40/60 lecture and hands on.

Since your class is spread out over several weeks, I wouldn't worry too much about reviewing the material ahead of time. The test is at the end, not the beginning.

My favorite part of the class was the airbag demonstration. They took an airbag from a wreck and activiated it. It shot up in the air about 10 feet. Just like the 4th of July! Very cool! [And it gave me a much healthier respect for the thing.]

About "which car:" You want a variety of seatbelt systems (switchable, locking, lap only, etc) and vehicles w/LATCH, Tether, bench seats, captain's chairs, sedans, so you can practice recognizing different systmes and installing CRs in different situations. After the first class, you should have a better idea of what other people drive and might be able to fill in a gap with one of your cars.

HOH.

becca011906

Senior Community Member
thanks again, i guess i'll drive the land rover to the first class b/c the intrepid really needs two new tires before it's driven enywhere out side of town (and can't do that till dh's pay day friday) so i'll see what kinda cars we have then and see what i need to drive the next time.
Both of my carse are newer so they have LATCH, and all the seats have lap/sholder belts but one is retracting locking and the other is locking lap belt where it locks at the latch plate. So we'll see how it goes!!

becca011906

Senior Community Member
oh no we don't have 'have' to, but i don't mind so much at all... and i'd like to add my land rover with some more seats to the data base since there aren't many at all for land rovers... :)

Tracy

CPST Instructor
NHTSA 'codes'

The codes I think you are referring to are the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. They are 208, 213 and 225. They cover safety belts, air bags, car seats and LATCh.

Tracy
CPST/I
Amarillo, Tx

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC