Booster for birthday? Tacky?

sunnyflower417

Booster for birthday? Tacky? ??s added!

My son is going to be 8 in a week. Right now he is harnessed in a GN and a RN. He has told me he is ready to be boostered and doesn't want to be harnessed anymore. I found a vivo at Big Lots for 65, but I can get TB for 15 through a county program. My husband doesn't want to buy another seat because we bought the GN so it could be switched to a booster, but the fit is horrible! WWYD? I don't want to go against my DH but if I don't buy one soon they're going to be out! Are the turbo boosters ok? I can buy 4 of those for the price of one Vivo. I want to give it to him for his birthday but my family members think it's ridiculous!

Last edited:
ADS

ginny4

Re: Booster for birthday? Tacky? ??s added!

we have a turbo but the cover is BOYISH to me so i'm considering either a vivo (not sure i will like) or a girly cover turbo perhaps for her birthday as well. so yes i may be tacky too. i actually gave for christmas last year new fun covers for the current seats for my 2 younger kids. they loved them but heck they were 4.5 & 2.5yo. i'm not sure how my older ones would react to a carseat as a gift unless they were asking for a new one. i'd definitly get some feedback of what they really want for a seat/cover & choose from there.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
If he really wants a booster, I don't think it's tacky, as long as you get him something he will like. If he doesn't care and it's just a household purchase that needs to be made, I don't think it "counts" as a gift.

ceruti82

I would do it, expecially if he wants it~ it's a gift you know he'd like!
Im kind of in the same boat~
I am hoping that my RN XTSL comes in this week so i can give it as a gift to DD turning 2 this weekend. (But I think it's wishful thinking~ with a "mid-late october" ETA date stated on babycatalog.com) She LOVES carseats, and she'd be extatic! maybe when it comes, i'll wrap it up anyway, even if its after her bday:love:

natysr

I wouldn't "count" it as a gift in my birthday budget, but I would still wrap it up for him to open on his birthday.

Jordan will be getting gum for his 7th birthday. When he was 2 he asked for gum in the checkout line. I told him NO, and said he could have gum when it was 7. (It was an arbitrary number). But it stuck. (no pun intendeed). He always talks about how he can have gum when he is 7. So, he will get gum for his 7th birthday.

Andie

I sold my GN to fund a Vivo to give Al on his 7th birthday. I let him pick the color. He was very happy about it. So no, I don't think it's tacky.

sunnyflower417

:thanx!:My DH is adamant about buying another seat. I really want it! So does Bradly. I took him to the store yesterday and he saw it and said he liked it. Why do I have to fight my DH when it comes to important things like this? In the grand scheme of life $65 isn't that much! But I will buy a TB if he'll allow that. What do you guys think of the TB?

:thanx!:My DH is adamant about buying another seat. I really want it! So does Bradly. I took him to the store yesterday and he saw it and said he liked it. Why do I have to fight my DH when it comes to important things like this? In the grand scheme of life $65 isn't that much! But I will buy a TB if he'll allow that. What do you guys think of the TB?

The Turbo is a pretty well regarded booster for being able to fit many kids well, but at 8YO I'd have your son test it out first b/c it's possible that it might not be 'deep' enough to provide good leg support -scroll down to the second set of pics on this link for an example. IIRC the Vivo isn't deeper than the Turbo but the angle of the seat base provides better leg support for older kids than the Turbo, but don't quote me on that:)

PS and add me to the list of folks who don't think it's a tacky b-day present - DD2 totally fell in love with the Sapphire Blue parkway a few years back and *asked* if she could get it for her birthday!

I will most likely be getting Logan a booster for his birthday. He has begged for one every day since he was 2! LOL! He is persistant that is all he wants and superheroes.

I will let him pick out the booster(it will be more for training than regular use).

I though will also be getting him something else. I just consider a booster as part of household budget.

ginny4

i really like the turbo. it is easy to transport & easy to use, fits many size kids well. it also has lots of cute covers. :p

Kat_Momof3

Re: Booster for birthday? Tacky? ??s added!

I'd splurge for the vivo because it's a bit narrower, it's WAY softer, and it is less tippy in my third row... BUT... make sure you check the sticker, where they say what the color is... my big lots only has BLUSH... which is pink.

But as for your hubby, tell him the reason is you are saving it for when your next child goes ff!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC