Help... What seat does she have?

aaminnky

Senior Community Member
We were on vacation this weekend and stopped to visit my SIL. She asked me to look at her girls' car seats. Of course I didn't have my tech stuff with me, so I just peeked in the car and told her I would try to find a local tech for her. The baby, 11 months, RF is using a handed down Roundabout that the 3 year old out grew. The seat she has for the 3 year old FF is the one I am unsure of. It's a Britax convertible with red lockoffs, the old style chest clip and small wings that seem smaller than a BLVD. SIL bought the seat used with a non-britax cover (that's a whole other issue), I think from e-bay and swears its not expired. (I've tried to talk to her about used and expired seats before but she thinks a used/expired Britax is better than any other seat:rolleyes:.)

I've only been obsessed with car seats for a little over a year, so I am not too familiar with older models. Can anyone tell me what it is and give me an idea if its expired or not? I wish I had thought to take a picture.

THANKS!!!

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Sounds like a Wizard :) (might be expired, might have about a year left on it, I don't think they've been made since 05, the www.carseat.org pictorial would probably say, though)

:)

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
It's an Advantage.

Like so?

2350091143_e0d99cd084.jpg

They are expired. Well, some may have a few weeks left on them. But mine made January 22, 2002 already had black lockoffs. So hers is before that. Possibly as early as 1997.

Here's a ten year old Britax.

http://home.comcast.net/~dcbsr/test...Child_Facing_Forwards_ten_years_old_seat.mpeg

NOT safer, just because it's a Britax. Recommend she call them and ask herself. They'll tell her six years. If they don't think it's safe after that she sure shouldn't. 888-427-4829

Wendy

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
If it's a Wizard and not an Advantage by any chance, another concern related to the date of manufacture, in addition to possibly being expired, is that Wizards made before approx. late July 2004 were part of a sizable Britax recall due to slipping harness adjusters. I'd urge checking into the DOM and model number to help verify if it's a Wizard affected by the recall, and to obtain the recall fix ASAP if the seat hasn't expired and will continue to be used. Details of the adjuster recall and recall fix are on Britax's site at http://www.britaxusa.com/uploads/advisory/notice/10qjwio.pdf and http://www.britaxusa.com/uploads/advisory/instruction/10lcleg.pdf

aaminnky

Senior Community Member
Thanks, I knew you guys would know!!! It was bigger than the Roundabout the baby was in so I'm guessing its a Wizard. Now I need to put together an email to her on all the issues with this seat including the recall, expiration/upcoming expiration and custom cover. This is DH's sister and we don't really get along or agree on much... This might get ugly... Wish me luck.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Ooh, I had one of those, too!

2089253979_200c881c8c.jpg

Is that it? That was our late 2004 Wizard. New style chest clip, black lockoffs. Red lockoffs are all expired, on whatever seat they're on.

The Wizard was first made in 2003, so at the worst it's been expired a few months. Not great, I would never recommend she use it, Britax would tell her not to use it, but hopefully it would hold in a crash. Not like a 1997 Advantage which would probably crumble to bits.

Wendy

aaminnky

Senior Community Member
Ooh, I had one of those, too!

2089253979_200c881c8c.jpg

Is that it? That was our late 2004 Wizard. New style chest clip, black lockoffs. Red lockoffs are all expired, on whatever seat they're on.

The Wizard was first made in 2003, so at the worst it's been expired a few months. Not great, I would never recommend she use it, Britax would tell her not to use it, but hopefully it would hold in a crash. Not like a 1997 Advantage which would probably crumble to bits.

Wendy

Yup, that looks like it, but with red lock offs and old style chest clip. Oh and the awful custom cover that doesn't come close to fitting. Sounds like it IS expired.

Thanks again.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC