in light of MA TC results...WWYD in my situation

ginny4

i'm not 100% comfortable with the current results of the MA FF in a caravan. while some are trying to combat that its perfectly fine i'm having a hard time truly seeing it. but i'm not sure if moving the kids & seat around would be any better
in our grand caravan. DS 3y 4m & 38+lbs is FF in the MA with some room to grow. i'm pretty sure that he will outgrow it sometime close to 4yo like my DD did & i doubt would be even come close to 48lbs. he then would get my DD's regent & she would move to a booster. she is currently 5y 5m & roughly 45lbs.

does it make sense to move them to the next level because of these current TC posted results or would i be putting them in greater danger? i can't figure out what makes sense here.

ADS

Pixels

How do you think your daughter would do in a booster? If she is able to sit properly 100% of the time, she would be safe in a booster. Then you can pass down her Regent to your son, and have an arrangement you can (hopefully) be more comfortable with.

If you don't think she's ready for a booster, would it be an option to buy another seat? Since you're not comfortable with the arrangement you have.

ginny4

i'm nervous for her to be in the booster full time. she has been in one occasionally & does OK. occasionally i have to remind her to sit nice. one time she fell asleep in the turbo & I was happy that she didn't fall forward. all in all i think she be fine or at least learn to be cause she is begging me to mover her to a booster. unfortuantly the booster she really wants is one she doesn't fit well in (monterey- i have a thread out there on that)

i'm not really interested in buying a new harnessed seat since it would be used only for about the next 7 months. I PROMISED her at 6yo she could have a booster. i'm much more interested in buying a booster. DH might not be too happy but eventually she'll need one right?

i think if i do the switch now DS would be less than happy i took away his cowmoo. i'd hate to break his heart too. i feel like i'm between a rock & a hard place.

oh i edited my original post to say its really a FPSVD but i thought since they are practically the same it was easier to just say MA. i don't think it would make much difference

jujumum

I am a big time Britax user and terrified of the TC videos. I re-arranged my seats so that my dd in the BV will have the seat in front flopped down most of the time so that if it did fail, there wouldn't be a seat in front of her. My dh thinks this is overkill and that we shouldn't compare a 35lb child to a 51lb one. He offered to throw 2 full gallons of milk at me to catch (totalling 16lbs) to show me how much more they weigh than empty ones (ie. the difference in 35lbs v.s. 51lbs). Neither of us are engineers or techs, so we don't know what we're talking about in terms of weight in a car seat, of course.

I think if I were you, I'd keep your son in the cowmoo until your dd turns six as was your original plan, or buy a GN for dd now and use it as a booster down the road. The pink Rachel ones can be found on clearance at Target for just over $100. Some techs have commented that they don't like the fit of the GN as a booster, but the TC videos of real crashes look better than some of the other boosters (again, I'm not a tech, so this is just my opinion).:)

Last edited:

arly1983

The two cars that the seats failed in, the installation was done using latch for a 52 lb dummy which is not following the MA or car's manual. Also since these tests were done to compare the differences in perfermance between latch and seatbelt installs and specifically says that this study should not be used to compare different brands of seats. I will continue to use my MA and BV following the seat and car's manuals.

This is after much thought and tidious reading of the TC's website.

Just FYI from the test results, the MA performed better at 35.40 mph and 52 lb dummy using the seatbelt install over the latch.

It is always most important to follow the instructions of your particular seat and car exactly. The safest carseats fits your car, your child, and can be used correctly every time.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC