Time for a booster or not? Help me decide!!!

Mama Bear

My oldest ds is ff in a Britax Boulevard. His twin brothers are rf in the same seats - I have them 3 across in the 2nd row of my 2007 Honda Odyessey. The babies are latched in and my oldest is in the center with seat belt install.

Problem is that he's very tall and the Boulevard makes his head even closer to the roof b/c the base is so large. When he climbs into the seat, he bumps his head and he's not that comfortable being so high up. I bought last month a Britax Frontier and could not for the life of me get a solid install in the center seat, so I returned it. I loved that it would eventually convert to a belt booster so as to prevent me from having to buy more seats. Right now I am considering getting a Radian80 b/c its much more compact. The problem is that I would have to eventually get a booster. I am wondering if I should switch him to a booster already or wait. He's 5 years old, 43 lbs and 48 inches tall. WWYD?
Also what is the difference b/t the Radian 80 and XT?
TIA!!! :love:

Last edited:
ADS

Raegansmom4

Radian 80 does not have headwings, the XT does. You really won't get a whole lot more harnessed time in the Radian over the BLVD to make it worth the purchase, imo. Have you tried a Graco Nautilus? But, if he can sit properly in a booster 100% of the time, you could put him in a HBB. He has to be able to sit perfectly still - no leaning ahead, no leaning to the sides - or he would put the belt out of position. You could get a graco turbobooster (they fit smaller kids great - I say smaller b/c my almost 4 yo dd weighs about the same) and try him in it. A trick for booster training - activate the locking seatbelt to "lock" him in the booster once the seatbelt is positioned and tightened. good luck.

NannyMom

If he can sit properly in a booster seat, than he could be moved to one. I disagree with the PP that said you won't get much more time out of the Radian. My charges still fit in the Radian, but have long outgrow (by a couple years) the Britax convertibles. The Radian's top slots measure close to/ the same as the Boulevard, but because it's such an upright seat, they can fit longer in the Radian. But then again... it my just be my vehicle (Toyota Sienna) :shrug-shoulders:

There is no top tether anchor on the center seat in the Odyssey. It's recommended to use a tether for a forward facing carseat whenever possible. Will one of the rear facing boulevards fit in the center seat, and your oldest can use the Frontier on the side? However, if you put him in the center in a Radian, that seat performs really well even without a tether. And if you decide he is ready to use a booster, that doesn't need a tether either ;)

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
If you want to keep them 3-across, keep in mind that that booster isn't going to be easy to buckle.

Mama Bear

Aha - I hadn't thought about it being difficult to buckle him in a booster b/t the two other seats.
I do have him tethered in the center - I used the metal rod that the center seat snaps onto. I had a tether lengthener that allowed me to wrap it around the metal rod before attaching the tether to it.
I've been putting him in the middle, but hadn't thought of possibly moving one of the babies to the center and putting him on the side. I've liked having it with the LATCH install for them, assuming it was safer than seat belted install? Its also easier to buckle them in b/c he can get into the seat himself and I tighten him reaching through the center of the front seat.
Maybe the frontier would've worked that way? Too bad I already returned it :mad:
Maybe I should buy it again and try to see if I can get a more solid install that way I can keep him in a 5 pt and then make it a booster when its time without having to buy 2 more seats.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
A few things...

I do have him tethered in the center - I used the metal rod that the center seat snaps onto. I had a tether lengthener that allowed me to wrap it around the metal rod before attaching the tether to it.

What type of lengthener? Is it like the D-ring that comes with the Marathons for RF tethering? This is generally not acceptable for use on forward-facing carseats, as there is more force applied to the tether in a crash.

I've been putting him in the middle, but hadn't thought of possibly moving one of the babies to the center and putting him on the side. I've liked having it with the LATCH install for them, assuming it was safer than seat belted install?

Actually, LATCH or seat belt are equally safe methods for installation. LATCH is just supposed to be easier. It's also worth noting that in many 3-across situations, using seat belts instead will give you more room.

Normally I'd say at age 5 if you feel he's mature enough to be a booster to just go ahead, but they are really not fun to buckle when they're crammed up against a car seat. Personally, I'd prefer to keep all 3 kids harnessed as long as possible simply for convenience.

jujumum

I agree with the others that you should get a Nautilus or Radian for him and keep him harnessed.:)

3plus2isme

Go with a radian! I have to disagree with the previous poster about not getting any longer in a RN then a BLVD. DS1 outgrew his marathon a year-ish ago and still has an inch of torso growth in his XT. It's nice & low so there shouldn't be an issue with him being too high up and it'll puzzle beautifully with those RFing BLVDS :D

NannyMom

Of the seats we're recommending, does anyone know how well they install in OP's center seat (Odyssey)? Do the RF Boulevard or FF Radian install well there?

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Another one agreeing that the Radians usually give at least a year and often more over the big Britax convertibles.

lovinwaves

Your Odyssey does not have a Top Tether location for the middle second row seat, often called the "8th seat." This means you will need to remove the Top Tether you have placed on there now. That is not an acceptable location. I would highly recommend you utilize your 3rd row, and place one of the kids back there where you can use the Top Tether, which is extremely important for a child forward-facing a harnessed seat.

I'm actually quite surprised you can get 3 BV's across in the second row of the Odyssey. Are all seats tight, as in they are not able to be moved side to side more than an inch?

I think a Radian for your oldest would work great, and would also give you some more room for your 3-across if you absolutely must keep that configuration. Keep in mind though that you will need to put one of the twins BV's rear-facing in the "8th Seat" since your oldest will need a top tether seat, which is only located in one of the captain's chairs. Your BV may tend to overrecline though if installed rear-facing on that "8th seat."

Do you have any of your rear-facing BV's tethered? If not, check out the link in my signature which will show you some acceptable rear-facing tethering points.

Is there any particular reason why you are not using your 3rd row?

Mama Bear

thank you for the info and links!
As soon as I post this, I am going to the garage and switching the seats around so I can properly tether the ff seat in a captains chair.
The reason I don't use the 3rd row is:
1 - I have twins and thus have a double stroller. When I have the 3rd row folded down, I have room for the stroller and things like groceries, etc...There was a time when the babies were in bucket seats in the 2nd row and my oldest son was in the 3rd row. I had no storage in the trunk and it aggrevated me. So once the babies went into their Britax's I put them all 3 across.
2 - my husband does not feel comfortable having our son so close to the rear of the vehicle in case of a rear end collision. We are hoping to get a large SUV in the future, but until then we are not comfortable using the 3rd row for the kids.
thank you again for the great info and links everyone!!!! :love:

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
I would also recommend checking your son now to make sure he has not outgrown the BV by height. Most kids at 48 inches have long outgrown the BV by height. If his shoulders are over the top harness setting then he has outgrown the seat by height. My dd is about the same height and outgrew her MA almost a year ago. His torso height would greatly effect which seat he should move into. If he is short torso'd and still fits in the BV by height, then a Radian or Frontier or Nautilus would work. if he is way over the top harness setting then I'd sit him those seats to see how much room he has.

I know there is info somewhere here on the safety of the 3rd row. I drive an Odyssey and feel 100% comfortable with a child in the 3rd row.

jujumum

For reference, here is a BV vs. Radian:

picture.php

And, BV vs. Nautilus:

picture.php

Between the two, some posters have mentioned that their son's don't have enough room in the crotch with the GN. I'm not sure that I've heard that comment with the RN.

lovinwaves

2 - my husband does not feel comfortable having our son so close to the rear of the vehicle in case of a rear end collision. We are hoping to get a large SUV in the future, but until then we are not comfortable using the 3rd row for the kids.

Ah ok, well can I help you put your mind at ease about the safety of the 3rd row? First of all, your van is one of the safest vehicles on the road. It is equipped with 3 rows of airbags, electronic stability control, weighs over 2 tons, and has a lower center of gravity. It also has consistently gotten top safety ratings from IIHS, including "Best Pick." Don't forget it has 5 star ratings from NHTSA as well.

Another thing to consider is...are your children properly restrained? Have your car seats been checked by a Certfied Child Passenger Safety Technician CPST? We can certainly buy a $300 car seat thinking it is the "safest" but if it isn't properly installed, and your children are not correctly harnessed, all of that can be a moot point.

Bigger isn't always better. We know that a driver that isn't distracted can also drive more alert, and more defensive. So eliminating these risks while driving will also in turn make your vehicle safer for your children. While SUVs appear larger and therefore safer, they also sit up higher, and can have a 3rd row closer to the backhatch than on an SUV. Just because an SUV is larger or "bigger" as you say, doesn't mean it is safer. Not all SUVs get great crash ratings, have side curtain airbags, stability control, or good rollover crash ratings.

Here are some links I highly recommend you and your husband to look at it, so you will feel comfortable with your little boy riding in the 3rd row.

http://carseatblog.com/?p=91&cpage=1#comment-5495

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=37243

A child properly restrained in the third row is quite safe, at least as safe as in the second row overall. Choice of rear seating position can make a difference, but simply being properly restrained in any appropriate rear seating position is the the main factor in reducing fatalities.

If the cargo room is a serious issue for you, might we suggest a different stroller for you? I realize it is a great expense, so if that is not feasible I understand. The 3rd also has the split seat, so it's possible to still utilize alot of your cargo room with a child restrained in the 3rd row. However, keep in mind that in the event of an accident all of that cargo can become projectiles injuring your child.

Here is a video where you can see I have a rear-facing seat on the "40" split of my 40/60 3rd row in the Odyssey (it's kind of hard to see, since I was making the video for another purpose, but you can probably get the idea). I have room for groceries, and probably 2 strollers. I also often times put my single stroller or groceries behind the front seats, or in the front passenger foot area. The minivan does hold alot that way :)

http://s206.photobucket.com/albums/bb69/lovinwaves/strollers/?action=view&current=October2009022.flv

Kat_Momof3

this is what I'd do... because I know your car can do this... take out the center seat... push the captain's chairs in the 2nd row together so the twins are now in the center and outboard, with a nice space in front of the third row on the other outboard position for accessing the third row.

I'd then get a Britax Frontier or Graco Nautilus and put your oldest in that in the third row... it sits lower, it harnesses, but when he's older and ready (at least 6-7yrs old), it will be ready to convert to a booster.

And honestly, with as tiny as that 8th seat in the Ody is, I'd be thinking he'll have to move there anyway.

Now, once the twins ARE FF... I'd then move him to the 2nd row and put the twins in the third row... simply to give him a turn... and because I like having the older child closer so that they can (when the car is PARKED) pass things to the younger ones... but also because by then, if he isn't already, he'll buckle himself, and after you get the twins in, all you'll have to do is tighten him and/or check him to be sure he's secure, and this is easier when you can just climb in your own seat to do it by turning or using your mirror.

And about the stroller... I think the ody third row splits doesn't it?? so you can put down one part and leave the other part up??

otherwise, time to get a smaller double stroller... I love a double umbrella-style stroller like the maclaren twins.

and of course, removing the stroller for grocery shopping helps, too.

lovinwaves

And about the stroller... I think the ody third row splits doesn't it?? so you can put down one part and leave the other part up??

Yes, it does. See my post right above yours :)

I think she probably realizes she is going to have to remove that 8th seat to let her son have access to the third row. Otherwise, he could climb in from the back hatch.

mykidsmom

otherwise, time to get a smaller double stroller... I love a double umbrella-style stroller like the maclaren twins.

I love my maclaren double. It folds about the same size as my (single) chico cortina (which I also like by the way). my Mac was used from birth of my youngest when the older one was 3.5 and is still used for my now 2 and 5.5 year olds. It has a high weight limit, and taller kids can fit comfortably without legs dragging or hitting the wheels, and without the head hitting stuff above the seat.

Kat_Momof3

I couldn't agree more about the double macs... LOVE LOVE them... I had one and it was the best... heck, that goes for any mac... they just hold big kids so nicely.

Mama Bear

Ok - so last night I switched around the seat. I put the rf BV behind the passenger seat and in the 8th seat. Got a real solid install on the one in the captains chair - I tethered it using the links you all gave me as reference. I got a pretty solid install on the center/8th seat, though not as firm - but it hardly moves in the base - its the top part that moves more. Also I tethered it in the same place with a different d-ring. Is that ok? I didn't know where else to tether it. It is inclined a little more than the BV in the captains chair, but not by much. Then I put the ff bv behind the driver's seat and tethered it properly on the hook behind the seat.
I meant to measure my oldest son's height today, will do tomorrow.
Regarding cargo/strollers - I've been through 5 double strollers. A Maclaren being one of them. I liked it at first, then I got annoyed with it. I have had a double Baby Jogger City Mini and LOVE it and I also have a BOB double jogger. I think if I do use the 3rd row and put my oldest on the 40 side of the spilt bench, then I would still have plenty of room on the other side for strollers and stuff.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC