Backless booster

knkdt

My mom just bought our family a new car, she thought the screaming baby was making me nuts (she was right ;)). So now everyone fits comfortably (no one is crowding Miss Ellie), but I have a new problem. DD1's hbb is making it very difficult for me to see out the back window (she is in the third row driver's side seat). She will be 6 next month and is 65ish lbs and 49" tall. Would you feel comfortable with her in a nbb? She does still sleep in the car regularly, but sits very well in her seat otherwise. Any other options??? The car in an '06 trailblazer.

ADS

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Can you rearrange so that she's in a seat which doesn't impact your view?

this is obviously easiest.

That size child does not scream backless booster to me, but as long as the vehicle seat provides support behind her head and the belt fit is good, it's not completely inappropriate.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
No, I would not be comfortable with a 5yo or even a 6yo in a backless booster as a primary seat. I would do my best to rearrange seats.

knkdt

Thanks everyone, that is what I was expecting :). I will try to switch her and ds sides, then if that doesn't help I will try her in the middle.

skaterbabs

For now you can move her, but you'll need to be aware that your vision will be obscured even more as the kids get older. Teens aren't exactly known for having translucent skulls. ;) BTDT lol so you'll want to start getting accustomed to using your side mirrors rather than the windows. A downer I know, but on the bright side, by the time they get that big you can usually leave them home occasionally. :whistle:

knkdt

That's a good point, I think I started using my mirrors more already. I guess I am just not used to driving something so large, I am really paranoid backing up. But I guess I should tell you that my kids are never going to be teenagers, they are going to stay these ages forever and ever ;).

NannyMom

Between A's Vivo and J's GN in my 3rd row, I have a hard time seeing out too. And I've been driving big vehicles for years, and I'm still paranoid backing up :p

Congrats on the new vehicle :)

skaterbabs

That's a good point, I think I started using my mirrors more already. I guess I am just not used to driving something so large, I am really paranoid backing up. But I guess I should tell you that my kids are never going to be teenagers, they are going to stay these ages forever and ever ;).

Believe me - I hear you! I drive a Suburban, and seeing out the back even when my teens AREN'T in the car is a challenge. LOL

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
What is this 'back window' of which you speak? :eek:
:D

LOL, seriously, I haven't been able to see much out my back window for quite a few years now, you do get very skilled at using side mirrors. The only seat that really dangerously obscured my view was the Recaro Start (VERY tall and square) in the middle back of my van. But if seats are on the side and you have a decent 'hole' in the middle, you can do pretty well with a little side mirror practice. Congrats on the new ride, too!!!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC