JaRylan. What's the temperature?

cantech

:eek: Jacqui,

The local radio station just said temps are down to -35 before windchill in Man. and Sask. Are you experiencing this too? I sure hope not! I'm in Nova Scotia and we're at +5 today.

Belinda

ADS

Jewels

Senior Community Member
In Manitoba right now it is -28'C (-18.4'F), with windchills of -38'C (-36.4) (or higher) :D We are having EXTREME windchill warnings.

Here is a conversion link!

This is why I had such questions about a winter jacket in the carseat, it's colder then freezing out there. Before lunch the windchill was -45'C. That is just crazy. We don't usually go out in this weather, but I need to get groceries!

Last edited:

JaRylan

It's freaking cold! When I checked first thing this morning it was -30.0 C (that would be -22 F) and then it warmed up...to -29.9 C. Local temp is -25 C and with windchill it is -38 C. They don't let the kids out for recess if the combined temp is -27, so this morning there was no recess even before the wind was factored in.

Thanks for thinking of me. If you don't hear from me again, it will be because I froze, lol. We've actually had a really good winter in the lower half of Saskatchewan - no snow till mid-November and mild temps. Saskatoon and the north half have had a pile of snow and they just got more a few days ago. The city was shut down (buses even quit running). I had to drive my neighbours kids to school this morning as their car wouldn't start.

Brrrr,
Jacqui

scatterbunny

Temps here last night got down to -10 Celsius (thanks for the converter, Jewels!) before windchill. I'm right on the coast so the wind is pretty strong most times.

We got a good six inches of snow night before last and it's all frozen into a solid sheet of ice. Not good for us PacNW'ers who are used to our mild temps and lots of rain. We don't know how to drive in ice, especially us coastal residents! This is the most snow the coast has seen in my whole lifetime, and probably the coldest temps, too.

We ARE supposed to get just a couple degrees above freezing today, then back down to -10 Celsius or so tonight.

Morganthe

And the weather report today from central TX IS --- wierd freaky stuff!

At 11am, it was a balmy 65 F (18.33 C),
By 1pm, it was very chilly rain and 38 F. (3.33 C)

Currently, according to the weather service, it is 35 (1.6C), but due to wind chill, 'feels like' 26 (-3.3 C). We're supposed to have ice storms tonight and the temp. will drop even further. Ahhh, life at the southern tip of the Great Plains. Never know if it will be blistering hot or freezing cold at this time of year. I was wearing short sleeves outside this morning. :rolleyes:

JaRylan

That's the nice thing about living in Saskatchewan - the weather usually is what it is supposed to be for the time of the year. Those extreme temps and weather conditions in one day are bizzare. That being said...it's still too freaking cold for me today, lol.

Jacqui

cantech

I tried posting a reply earlier but I kept getting an internet explorer error message..:mad:

So what do you do about keeping the children warm getting them into their seats at temps like these? No jacket is not an option IMO. They'll end up with frostbite or hypothermia!

Belinda

scatterbunny

Well....with the -10C temps we had last night, dd still did just fine wearing her big, puffy coat to the car, removing it to get buckled and then putting the coat on backwards over her harness. Sure, she was cold...but I highly doubt one would actually get frostbite or hypothermia simply from taking the coat off for the few seconds it takes to get buckled.

cantech

Scatterbunny,

My point is that I wouldn't want to seat a child in car seat that was at -30 C without some type of insulation between the child and the seat. The benches in the hockey rink are cold to sit on without a blanket on top of them and they're no where near as cold as a car seat would be at -30. That's going to suck alot of heat out of a child and even with a coat over top that's not going to help the heat loss into the seat.

I'm not saying go Michelin man either...

Just another one of those WWYD questions...

Belinda

Morganthe

That's a major temp change in such a short time! Wow! That never happens here!

Yep, That's why I miss home! (Sob) Either it's the same weather here forever or it rapidly changes. One extreme to another without too much warning.

home being Washington or Germany, I really don't care which these days. :(
Ok, better now, momentary pity party over :p -- once I hit one year here, I'll have adjusted-- I hope!

scatterbunny

Scatterbunny,

My point is that I wouldn't want to seat a child in car seat that was at -30 C without some type of insulation between the child and the seat. The benches in the hockey rink are cold to sit on without a blanket on top of them and they're no where near as cold as a car seat would be at -30. That's going to suck alot of heat out of a child and even with a coat over top that's not going to help the heat loss into the seat.

Belinda

I guess I'd get the warmest, thinnest coat for dd and possibly let her wear it in the car, but unzipped so the harness was in full contact of her body. There'd still be the layer under her that would compress, but at least not a layer over her. Then add blankets.

I'm so glad we only get cold spells like this once in a very great while here! I'm intolerant to both extreme cold (anything under 35'F) and extreme heat (anything over 75'F...and yes, I know to most people 75'F isn't that hot :p ).

JaRylan

Belinda

Belinda,
That's a good reference point with sitting at the rink. As for the cold transfering from the seat to his bumb, yikes, especially since the Radian has a steel frame. I feel bad now that I haven't really done anything to keep his little butt warmer. I think he would be too hot at school with long underwear underneath his pants but maybe a pair of shorts would help along with his diaper. Rylan's jacket was doing the crackle pop thing walking from the warm car to the school door before we even crossed the street. Depending on the windchill exposed skin can freeze in one minute.

What I do:

For long trips (anything out of the city limits) I layer - long underwear, sweats, long sleeve shirt and fleece bunny hug or jacket, socks and slippers/runners with a blanket over top. Rylan rides in the centre FF and I figure his feet are warmer without his winter boots on, plus he can pull his feet up. Of course the car is warmed up ahead of time.

For trips to school which is 6 blocks away I leave his jacket on, but that is my judgement call. I am going at a slow speed and he has a thick but not puffy jacket. For trips around the city I will either do the layered with a fleece jacket or just a jacket. Even with the car warmed up ahead of time it is still cold.

If my vehicle was in an attached, heated garage I would go without the coat and put it on when we arrived.

I know that there are some posters on here or another car seat board that live in Alaska and they remove the coats and restrain their children the proper way all the time. So it can be done. My sister leaves her child's coat on but zips it up over top of the harness.

Jacqui

Lea_Ontario

Just a thought - not sure if it would work.

What about cutting a layer of nice thick wool for under the child ? Make it narrow enough at the back that it won't interfere with the straps.

Not knitted wool, but like from a felted blanket like this :
norwegian-wool-blankets.gif

Felted wool is really dense, it's not going to compress much, if at all. And I'm pretty sure it's not going to fray too badly with use either.

Lara

Heh. I feel like a wimp compared to ya'll! I was FREEZING today when it was 58 F (14.4 C) . What can I say? I live in the middle of the desert!

Actually, its a big change. It was 75F (23.8 C) yesterday! 58 F was our high today.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
For trips to school which is 6 blocks away I leave his jacket on, but that is my judgement call. I am going at a slow speed and he has a thick but not puffy jacket. For trips around the city I will either do the layered with a fleece jacket or just a jacket. Even with the car warmed up ahead of time it is still cold.

Yep this is what I did tonight. It is -30 with a windchill of -42. My jacket was crunchy before walking form my door to the car; maybe 3 1/2 feet! We warmed up the car for around 10minutes and his carseat was stiff crunchy and very cold. I was going to put a lighter jacket with a poncho but decided not to because we were in and out lot. We don't live in a city, a small rural town of 6,500, so I thought this cold it would be okay, normally I wouldn't do this but at this temp I think it is necessary IMO. DS jacket if fairly thin for a winter jacket and I got the straps tight enough that I didn't even have to move the chest clip up, just a smidge looser then I would normally have them. On our way home I put DS in and then put a blanket around him and he sat there shivering!

JaRylan

Just a thought - not sure if it would work.

What about cutting a layer of nice thick wool for under the child ? Make it narrow enough at the back that it won't interfere with the straps.

Not knitted wool, but like from a felted blanket like this :
norwegian-wool-blankets.gif

Felted wool is really dense, it's not going to compress much, if at all. And I'm pretty sure it's not going to fray too badly with use either.

That might be something to consider, thanks Kashi. I think the sueded fabric of the Radian would grip it fairly well. Maybe I can find an electric blanket that plugs into the lighter to heat the seat...with my luck I would forget it and drain my battery!

Jewellee - Yup, it's cold inside and out and you do what you have to do. I don't have the option of loosening my straps (I have one of the short-strap Radians, but that is going to be fixed soon with a brand new Radian). So a few days ago the school put his ski pants on for home time. I was almost to the point where I thought I would have to take him in the school, take off the ski pants and then harness him for the 6 blocks home. I think I must have got him buckled in when he was breathing out, lol.

Jacqui

PS - It's still cold! I was fluffing my duvet tonight so Rylan could go to bed and be all nice and toasty...duvet hit the light cover on the ceiling, knocked it off and busted it all over the bed and carpet. Lifted Rylan to safety, locked him out of the room, vacuumed off the bed, he let himself in, removed him again and again (think of a 18 month old who is actually 4.5), moved the bed over the broken glass zone, will revaccum later, removed all bedding and 3 laundry baskets of clothes that I should have put away and now I will rewash in case of fragments, Rylan is almost asleep in the hallway by this time, go find replacement blankets (I did a tablecloth manouver to take the blanket from the spare bed out from under clothes destined for Sally Ann), put Rylan to bed, come down here to relax and then to tell my sad story to anyone who has made it this far! Thanks for listening.

Jacqui

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC