Radian XTSL and seatbelt use to 45lbs. ????

mykidsmylife

So on another board mom says Russ is telling her the seat can only rear-face to 45lbs with the super latch in cars 05 and up.

She is thinking he means even with a seatbelt install.

So can the seat rear-face to 45lbs and ff to 80lbs with a seatbelt install in a 1993 vehicle???

ADS

J-max

CPST Instructor
I have to read the manual to be 100% sure, but I am pretty sure you can use the seatbelt to install and use RF until 45lbs, (as well as LATCH), you can just also use the Super LATCH to install until 80lbs (or seat belt) in vehicles made after Sept 05. Clear as mud :)

I will try to remember to come back here and update this sometime tomorrow after I get the manual all read.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Seatbelts are stronger than LATCH connectors. If the seat passed to 45, it passed to 45. I see no reason not to use to 45 with seatbelt, nor do I see anything indicating that there is a limitation on HOW you install to use the seat RF to 45 lbs. The federal standard requires that seats pass with LATCH OR lap belt. So, yeah, it should be able to be installed with seatbelt and used to 45 lbs. RF.

Russ also says that you can use the SafeStop with the lower LATCH anchors and no tether, which is not what the engineers say. :rolleyes:

I am the mom talking to Russ about it, I am waiting for an answer about the seat belt now.. he originally said that they were rear facing to 45 lbs because of super latch, and that cars made before sept 05 were going to just be regular use.. he told me that in a car made before sept 05 the rfing weight limit would be 40 lbs, I emailed him back to ask if that applied to seat belt installs too, I have not heard back yet but I will certainly update everyone when I hear back!

mykidsmylife

I am the mom talking to Russ about it, I am waiting for an answer about the seat belt now.. he originally said that they were rear facing to 45 lbs because of super latch, and that cars made before sept 05 were going to just be regular use.. he told me that in a car made before sept 05 the rfing weight limit would be 40 lbs, I emailed him back to ask if that applied to seat belt installs too, I have not heard back yet but I will certainly update everyone when I hear back!

Haha! I didn't realize it was you. Duh. I shoulda put 2 and 2 together (you kids names and your name over there)...

Hopefully he will understand and get an answer so no one is confused anymore. :rolleyes:

InternationalMama

So even if your car has a 48 lbs LATCH limit, if it's made before 09/2005 you would only be able to use this seat to 40 lbs RFing with LATCH and possibly any install?? If that's true, they should have made the clear before all the sales on the old models!

If your vehical has lower anchors that meet the requirements of FMVSS225 that had to be incorporated on all vehicles manufactured after September 1, 2005. then you can use it, you have to check with your vehical manufacturer.. that was something else he said

"It would be too confusing (and liability) to have a say 45 lbs but only with seat belt."

this was Russ's answer

OK he came back and corrected himself saying
"Wait a minute, too early on a Sunday to answering emails!!

Yes, you are correct – 45 lbs RF on SL with seatbelt."

So yes we can use them to 45 lbs with seatbelt! whew!

J-max

CPST Instructor
Yes, I read the entire manual last night, and it says 45lb rearfacing with the seatbelt or LATCH after Sept 05, other than that refer to vehicle manual for LATCH limit.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC