Replace Nautilus w/Regent? If so when?

a_js

I really, really like our Nautilus. However, it seems that we would get a bit more harness time out of the Regent. DS really does need to be harnessed as long as possible. He sits criss-cross, would not pass the 5 step test on a good day, and has mild special needs (sensory issues and low torso muscle tone). He is a really good boy and he tries, but he isn't there yet. We use a Bodyguard when we go places in my mom's car and I sit in the back with him or my 8 year old niece does--that way it's a short ride and someone has an eye on him--but that's about as much booster training as he can do.

I think he has another 6-12 months in the Nautilus. Should I replace it with a Regent? We tried a Regent out a while back and he swam in it, but I think he is big enough now that it would be OK. He is very long torsoed. Should I grab a Regent while they're on sale (is my time pretty limited?) or no? Any thoughts welcome.

ADS

April

The Regent has been discontinued and Britax expects them to be all gone by the end of the year.

a_js

Hmm.. if it's till the end of the year I guess I'd better get on it. Do you guys think my reasoning sounds valid? I know kids over 4 yrs and 40 lbs are technically safe in a booster, I just don't really feel like this particular kid is. He wants one, of course, but maybe a snappy new Regent will placate him.

sholoulou

I love our regent. I looked at the GN tonight and it looks so much more narrow and uncomfortable then the Regent but that is on looks only. I have thought about getting another Regent and storing it just incase something happens to our Regent and they would be sold out.

Splash

On paper, and probably for most kids, the regent has higher slots. But the slot height of a seat can be wildly influenced by the slope of a vehicle seat. In our case, the GN provides around the same, slightly more, than the Regent.

These pictures are about 8 months old, but here he is in the regent, uninstalled (once installed he moves up over the second slot, requiring use of the third)

Here the GN is installed

And for S&G, a Frontier, uninstalled

He loses about half an inch of harness height once installed, and the only one up there where it is installed is the GN (his parimary seat), so it's the only "true" measurement

babyherder

Hmm.. if it's till the end of the year I guess I'd better get on it. Do you guys think my reasoning sounds valid? I know kids over 4 yrs and 40 lbs are technically safe in a booster, I just don't really feel like this particular kid is. He wants one, of course, but maybe a snappy new Regent will placate him.

I thought kids were only safe in a booster after 4 and 40lb if they could use it correctly? If a kid can't use it correctly then a harness is safer. Is that right? Or did I miss something?

a_js

I thought kids were only safe in a booster after 4 and 40lb if they could use it correctly? If a kid can't use it correctly then a harness is safer. Is that right? Or did I miss something?

No, you just said what I was trying to say better than I did :) That's what I'm saying is I know he is old enough for a booster, but maturity wise not quite yet. I have the flu and my brain hurts, heh.

babyherder

No, you just said what I was trying to say better than I did :) That's what I'm saying is I know he is old enough for a booster, but maturity wise not quite yet. I have the flu and my brain hurts, heh.

Glad I'm understanding correctly. And feel better!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC