Safety 1st Summit High Back Booster

Mommy2Marcus

So...I seen this seat at Wal-Mart today. I checked it out thinking it was one that the top slot was for booster mode only. However this was nowhere on the back of the seat that I could see. I kept looking, but I just did not see it.

So I tried Marcus out in it. It seemed to have tall top harness slots that would fit Marcus for quite awhile. The only down fall I could find was that it only harnesses to 40lbs. He would be on the 2nd to top slot with room to grow before he hit that slot & then a whole other slot to grow. I would say he had a good 4-5 inches before he would hit the top slot & go over. So he would get probably close to 2 years out of it. Here is a link to the seat I am talking about it:
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001FB5BE8/ref=asc_df_B001FB5BE8938431?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=googlecom09c9-20&linkCode=asn&creative=380341&creativeASIN=B001FB5BE8"]Amazon.com: Safety 1st Summit Deluxe High Back Booster Car Seat in Milan: Baby[/ame]

So...what is wrong with this seat? Is it horrible to install?? Tell me all about it.

ADS

Maedze

It does have the topmost head rest restriction. Unfortunately, it's only in the manual, not printed on the seat.

Heather86

We had one for a while before I was car seat savy-ish (I'm still not super car seat literate) But From what I remember install with a seat belt wasn't hard. I got it in and solid in a 2006 Sentra in less than 5 min. I never tried latch because the latch anchors were so buried I never could get to them. The top tether was easy. Honestly if the 40lbs weight limit doesn't bother you my :twocents: it really isn't a horrid seat for the money.

My then 16 month old son was on the bottom slots :duck:. I don't recall anything in the manual about the top slot either but I think it is booster only and we only used the seat for a few months before I learned about extended rear facing and turned him back around :thumbsup:

NannyMom

If it does have that restriction, sounds like it's not a goo deat for him. At least if you want it to last until booster age.

cpsaddict

It does have the headrest restriction, but it is buried in the manual and not even in the warnings section. The base is pretty wide on it and contrary to popular belief, not supposed to be removed, even though it does come off.

a_js

I don't think it makes all that great a booster, also. I found it an easy install (lap/shoulder belt) although that car was easy to install anything in.. oh how I miss it :p I like the Cargo as a harnessed seat, but not as a booster either.. but it sounds like you have a ways to go till you have to worry about that :)

mykidsmylife

We had it for Johnathon. I think I used the top slot not knowing any better. We were also in a wreck with it on the top slot. Oops.
He outgrew the top slot around 4, then I found this site. :)

I agree it isn't the best option, but not a bad one. I loved that seat.

HEVY

We had it for Johnathon. I think I used the top slot not knowing any better. He outgrew the top slot around 4, then I found this site. :)

I agree it isn't the best option, but not a bad one. I loved that seat.

Yep to all that. I wouldn't use it booster mode, too heavy.

mkmama

We had one...I liked that it was easy to install. HATED that it was SOOOOO wide -- even in my Impala (which are AWESOME for getting 3 across) I couldn't comfortably get it + an adult + another seat in the backseat.

Like PP said, you cannot use the top slot for harness...and I wasn't a fan of it in booster mode. It was OK, but the seat belt tended to kind of bunch up inside the holder on the seat, and it was also very hard to pull through the holder.

Mommy2Marcus

Alright then, that one is out then since you can not use the top slot except in booster mode. I had never planned to use it in booster mode, just wanted to use the harness mode. So that just sucks. I thought it looked like a pretty nice seat for $100. I should have known there was something wrong with it....LOL!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I think we are finally going to stop carrying it at BRU. IF they improve it so it's just like a forward-facing- Alpha Omega (which it basically is, though somehow the base is even more gigantic than the AO's and you are very lucky if you can install it in your car), then I might like it. But it's such a step down from the AOE's FF that it's ridiculous for Dorel to even make it anymore.

mykidsmylife

So what happened? I'm assuming your DS is fine, which is the most important thing, but could you share how the seat functioned?

Well we hydroplaned going 65mph and spun 5 times and slammed into a guardrail on his side of the car.

Seat did it's job as he just wondered what happened. He wanted to do it again. :rolleyes:

I am assuming the reason he was okay using those slots is because of how we hit. He was thrown to the side. Now had we hit head-on it we may not have been so lucky.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
I had one several years ago for my son who is now 13, and at the time, you could use it without the base. Again, that was several years ago. I don't remember the top slot rule, but we only used it in booster mode as he was over 40lbs when I bought it. We did actually use the harness for a little girl I babysat once in a while, but she was no where near the top slots. So, not an issue.

babyherder

Well we hydroplaned going 65mph and spun 5 times and slammed into a guardrail on his side of the car.

Seat did it's job as he just wondered what happened. He wanted to do it again. :rolleyes:

I am assuming the reason he was okay using those slots is because of how we hit. He was thrown to the side. Now had we hit head-on it we may not have been so lucky.

Thanks for sharing. Glad your DS is fine and that he wasn't upset.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC