Nauti vs Frontier vs Blvd then 86Y and booster

mama a llama

My special needs ds is currently in an Evenflo Triumph with about 1/2 growing room. When he outgrows that, I wish I could get a Regent, but not sure that I can fit that next to the Nauti in the only other space with tether anchor. So I'm looking at moving him to the Blvd (exp 5/2012) and when he outgrows it getting a reasonable HBB and 86Y harness.

OR I could get another Nauti for him and then the 86Y with that. Or a Frontier. Is there really much about the Frontier that would justify spending $100+ more?

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I would get a nauti. Also, you never know what will be out in the future. There is the parkway with the anit-sub clip now, which is awesome!

mama a llama

Oops, forgot stats. He's ff in the Triumph, nearly 4, 36 lbs, 38 in (mostly torso--I figure butt to shoulders is about 15 in). His special needs are a genetic syndrome with developmental delay, mild low tone, and a secondary diagnosis of autism.

Maedze

If you intend to keep him harnessed as long as possible, I would petition your doctor/insurance for a Merritt Roosevelt.

Maedze

Justout of curiosity, what makes the Roosevelt a better choice? Ease of use? No need for special tether install?

No, because it's bigger. It will last years and years longer than any consumer product on the market. I think it will keep average kids harnessed probably 9-12 years.

It does require a special heavy duty tether after 50 pounds, which comes with the kit.

mama a llama

I read the instructions, and I'm still confused. So prior to 50 lbs, it can be tethered with the EZ tether as long as you use the long belt path installation, correct? At 50 lbs you must install the heavy duty tether? Since our current anchor is retrofitted, could we install it in that same spot?

ETA: is there anywhere to try it in the car before going through the whole insurance process? I don't know that it will fit on the rear bench where the anchor is available.

Evolily

If you contact Meritt they may be able to help you see a seat in person. What child is currently in the Nautilus? Is it possible that child will be booster ready before the other child needs a larger seat, or a narrower and more affordable seat (like, say, the Evenflo Generations 65) might be a good stop gap measure?

mama a llama

My newly 5yo dd is in the Nauti, and while I can't predict how long it will take ds to grow that half invch, I doubt she will be. Another possible stop gap would be that we have a Scenera with moldy harness that could be replaced and used by the 2yo. But I'd rather not b/c I'm just not that impressed with the Scenera. There's a Merrit dealing DME very near me--don't know if they would be able to help.

Evolily

If he's outgrowing the triumph I don't think he'd fit the scenera :( .

I do think that a half an inch can be 6 months to a year of growth for a kid that age- they seem to start sprouting legs around that time.

mama a llama

Oh I know he already outgrew the Scenera. It got stored in the basement during flooding, hence the moldy harness. I *think* his little sister could RF in it if we had to move him to the Blvd temporarily. But I'd rather not.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC