So I keep coming back to the MR - need opinions

TheNimpsGirl

Even though I know DS would probably fit longer in the TFP or RN or even the CA because of shell height and I keep conviencing myself to buy one of those first two because it's a better use of money, I keep thinking back to when I've put him in the MR. The seat seemed to be made just for him and he looked so comfortable in it. Even DH who doesn't ever have an opinion on car seats (besides that I obsess too much about them) said he thought it looked like a giant lazy boy chair and that DS looked comfortable in it.

DS who is 9 1/2 months is at this moment, after a massive weight gain, equal in weight and height perecentiles (25%) at 20.1lbs, 27.75", 11.5" torso and a 18" seated height. He still falls asleep in the car if the car ride is long enough and I want him to be comfortable (as I'm sure all parents/caregivers do).

Right now I don't need to worry about a three across in my impala but next summer time I plan on watching two children so it will be something to keep in mind. Does the MR puzzle well with other seats? What about the RN cause of it's low profile? That way I could move DS into a RN if needed and possibly one of the child care kids into the MR if it worked better that way? If not I can always move the MR over to my mom's car or to DH's car if he hasn't already outgrown the SS1 by that point and get a seat that will work three across.

So would you still buy a convertible that doesn't have a RFing tether or ARB (something I always thought I wanted), no lock-offs, might not work in a three across and knew would be out grown before others on the market, just because you thought it seemed like the most comfortable convertible for your LO? Or would you go with the TFP or RN because it's a better value, money wise?

Thanks for the opinions cause I'm driving myself nuts about what convertible to get and DH says to just make up my mind already.

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The MR might puzzle well with a RN in some cars, it won't in other cars-- it will be dependent on the shape of the vehicle seat from what I've seen trying it in different cars. That said, I'm under the impression that you rarely need to puzzle anything in an Impala, you can fit most anything you want in there. ;)

I'd get the one I wanted, with the intention that I could replace it later. However, not everyone has a household budget that includes buying at least 6 car seats a year... ;)

I am very big on rebound control, but if the seats that have them don't work it's not a deal-breaker for me (hence my CA. ;) )

InternationalMama

I would get the MR if that's the seat you like best. You're going to have to use it everyday. No point buying the one you don't like best because you might like it best three years from now. And as a bonus it's the least expensive option! If he's in the 25% he won't necessarily need the extra height of the TFP and RN to get good use out of the seat for a long time.

And I'm with Ketchupqueen, the Impala backseat is huge, I have trouble imagining you won't be able to fit 3 seats across somehow even with an MR.

Raegansmom4

My 19 mo dd is in the 25% for height, and she fits the MR like a dream (95% for weight). She really seems comfortable in the MR, and I'm really liking the seat (a period of uncertainty at first). I'd go for it. But of course, I also go through several carseats. In fact, I don't plan to use the MR for ffing at all. When dd is ready for ffing, she will move into big sis's Nautilus (big sis is getting a Regent). But then again, in a year and a half or so, I may find something I want more than the Nautilus, lol.

NannyMom

Like you, I love how my DD looks in the MR, like it was made for her. Right now she's in a Radian because I had one sitting in the closet. But I ordered a MR for a back up seat (no way I want to be taking the Radian in and out, it was a difficult install). I love how she looks in the MR so much I just had to have one.

I've done 3 across in Impalas before. I don't think the MR will give you trouble. And I do think it would puzzle well with the Radian.

TheNimpsGirl

Thanks everyone! I think that I will probably go ahead and get a MR for DS. I really like the seat for him right now and I'll worry about if in the future he needs a new one to continue to RF. I can always move it to another car or use it for a child care kid if need be.

I'll probably wait a bit to get it because DS still has three inches above his head in the SS1 and wait until I can find a great deal (I can get it for $130.50 with free shipping from baby-catalog with a free baby club membership right now but I can't find any other codes right now to stack with it that work).

Does anyone know though, if the Chandler cover is actually light blue or grey? It looks grey in the stock photos but I'm pretty sure I've seen pictures on here where it looked light blue. If it is, it's definitly the cover I want but would settle for Edgemont Dots too.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC