Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Older(7+) dress wearing, harnessed girls

Anyone have one? How do your girls feel about being harnessed? Anyone have any pictures to share? A harness means the buckles are up front. I have no issues with my dds in boosters- the problem is buckling. I'm just looking at the options right now. Would you reharness a 10 yo who has been in a booster for 5 years, just so she could buckle easier?
    Christine *mom* to

Dd1 age 17 (seatbelt), Dd2 age 15 (seatbelt), Ds1 age 14 (seatbelt), Dd4 age 12 (Seatbelt), Ds2 age 10 (Probooster), Dd4 age 7 (rstv), and dd5 age 1 (rfing Pria)

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: Older(7+) dress wearing, harnessed girls

Piper is 7 and the crotch strap doesn't bother her (except the RSTV).

If the 10 year old is ok with it, and fits, sure. My Nautilus took a trip to the airport and I wish it was here. Piper takes so much longer to buckle her Parkway.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

Carseat Crankypants carseatcoach's Avatar

Dresses are one reason my daughter wanted to be in a booster (at age 7+).

If I *had* to reharness a 10yo because there was no other way for everybody to be safe, I'd do it. But otherwise, I'd give her the choice.
    CPST and Mama to a 13yo girl, 5-stepped at age 10 and 5'

Posted from my toaster using a PopTart

Joy is only 6, but she's gotten funny about modesty issues (hilarious considering she preferred being naked for about three years! lol) She doesn't really have a preference between her booster and her harnessed seats.
    Rebekah Branch, CPST from May 2005 until June 2011
    Mom to CJ (7/96, seatbelt), Gregory (4/98, seatbelt), & Joyjoy (10/03, misc. booster seats)
    "That which you create in beauty and goodness and truth lives on."
    - Denis Waitley

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

My girls are not that old but they wear dresses in the car all the time. They wear shorts, leggings, or capris under so the buckles don't bother them as much. And my oldest gets her own straps on and assists in pulling the dress where it needs to go (she can't quite buckle herself yet.) I think it will depend on the girl.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

CPS Advocate

No, I would not reharness a 10 year old, particularly a 10 year old who all ready may have social adjusting issues.

No, I wouldn't re-harness a 10 yr old.

DD wears dresses / skirs most of the time and wears shorts/leggings/capris under them so buckling isn't an issue.
    CPST & Stay at home Cake-decorating/Scrapbooking/Photo Mom to
    Kyrie-10 in Harmony NBB & 5 stepping
    Trey-7 in Monterrey/parkway HBB
    Carter 12/2012 RF in Foonf & Rhett 10/2014 in ClickConnect 40

I think I have come up with a booster solution. My kids are already weirdos by sitting in booster seats. Their peers haven't sat in a car or booster seat for 5-6 years.

What if my almost 10 yo decides she would like to be harnessed? Back when ds1 had a radian, dd would ride in it whenever he was not around. She said she felt "secure" in the radian.
    Christine *mom* to

Dd1 age 17 (seatbelt), Dd2 age 15 (seatbelt), Ds1 age 14 (seatbelt), Dd4 age 12 (Seatbelt), Ds2 age 10 (Probooster), Dd4 age 7 (rstv), and dd5 age 1 (rfing Pria)

If she *wants* to be harnessed, truely wants it, I would, probably. I'd also evaluate how the child is socialy, and if it would make her "weird"er, etc, I'd try not to.

You can turn the belly pad around and flip it upside down to help protect modesty. I saw pics on here, somewhere, once.
    Melissa, CPST and Mom to three

Quote Originally Posted by christineka View Post
    What if my almost 10 yo decides she would like to be harnessed? Back when ds1 had a radian, dd would ride in it whenever he was not around. She said she felt "secure" in the radian.
    If she *wants* to be harnessed, then I would be ok with it as long as it was her choice.

I would be more inclined to use a booster for school activities / around town and a harnessed seat for highway driving and longer distance travel though.
    CPST & Stay at home Cake-decorating/Scrapbooking/Photo Mom to
    Kyrie-10 in Harmony NBB & 5 stepping
    Trey-7 in Monterrey/parkway HBB
    Carter 12/2012 RF in Foonf & Rhett 10/2014 in ClickConnect 40