Question Would you buy a Regent and store it?

jb5416

My DS2 is 2 year, 7 mos old and is 40 inches tall. He weighs 34 lbs and is currently rf in a TF and RNXT. FF or RF he is just above the 2nd to top slots in both seats. I am hoping to keep him harnessed until he is 6. Because the Regent is being discontinued and I'm not seeing anything else out there with similar top slot height should I buy him a Regent and store it until he outgrows the RN? I wouldn't feel comfortable with him going over the top slots in the RN even if the head wings weren't there. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Jessie :D

ADS

Polola0628

Well, the seat might expire before you're done using it, and before your son would even need the extra space in it. I'm just saying.. if you get it, you might be able to use it for a few height positions, but by the time that he gets to the heighest slot, the seat will be expired.. not sure about the DOM on these though- anyone know?

Also.. what about a Radian? I've heard that their slots are pretty high.

My DD has a very tall torso height and still has three slots to go on her safety first complete air, which will last till 50lbs. I'd personally check the seat's harness height and check your sons torso height right NOW, but then again it's kinda hard to extrapolate those kinda things since kids grow in spurts... who knows, his torso may not grow for a few years more and he may just grow in his legs.

NannyMom

I probably would. I have a Parkway sitting in my close because it was discontinued and 'what if' I needed a narrow HBB.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
My DS2 is 2 year, 7 mos old and is 40 inches tall. He weighs 34 lbs and is currently rf in a TF and RNXT.

:eek: That's one big kid! He's about the size of my DD - he's about an inch taller - and she'll be 4 at the beginning of November.

If he's really that big, I'd certainly consider it. Even if you get one that's a year old, that'll still give it 5 years left - so it wouldn't expire until he's 7.5YO. And honestly, if he's that big and stays big, he's probably going to outgrow it before then anyway.

There are some really good deals on Regents right now, too.

:twocents:

Yoshi

Well, it might be a good idea IF you try it in your vehicle first and get one with the newest DOM possible. Then by the time he is FF, it would very well get you to age 6 and beyond.

BUT, I hesitate to recommend that action because he may slow down in his torso growth- the Graco Nautilus will fit most kids harnessed until 6 (mine outgrew it right around age 6 with a 16"torso) She had already outgrown the Radian and was too tall for the Frontier as well by that point.

As far as the Regent goes-you may not like the fact that it is not airline approved, nor is it readily moved from one vehicle to another. It weighs A LOT and is not always install-friendly in all vehicles. Recaro is coming out with some new HWH seat soon, and they have VERY high top slots on the Signo- so waiting may work out as well.

Bottom line, IF you REALLY, REALLY like the Regent and can manage to install it with the install method that will be required when he is going to be in it ( ie: Seatbelt install the Short belt path and recline bar- I Think!) then go for it. They are a great price right now and are certainly in no shortage yet.:twocents:

FrogJuice

I don't know if I would, my DD is 6 and has a few inches in the Radian, and even more room in her nautilus. I think there are plenty of other seats you could buy that will get him to 6 harnessed, who know's what will come out in the next few years.

jb5416

Yes, he is truly huge. Length-wise, that is. He's actually fairly skinny. He also has a long neck and a tall head (ok, I know that sounds funny). I have had a Husky before for one of my older kids, so I know well how massive they are. I drive an 05 Sienna and I do believe that the Regent installs fine in that vehicle. I just find it hard to believe that he could get more than 3 years out of the Radian when he's at the 2nd to top slots now.
Jessie

kandamom

DS1 got over two years out of his marathon after he started using the top slots, and it seems like the radian has an even larger space between slots. I bought a marathon when ds1 was 27 months, and he was just below the second from the top slots. My 27-month-old ds2 is at or above the second from the top slots of the radian, and I'm really hoping he will make it until at least five in the radian. We actually have a Regent that will expire when ds2 is 5.5. I am thinking about selling it to help fund a Frontier. I cannot tell you how your kid will grow, but I can share my experience. DS1 was 40" at his three-year check-up, so not quite as tall as your child. For us, the Regent was overkill. I let him switch to a booster full time at 6.5. He still has tons of room in the Regent at 7.5. Heck, he is just a little bit above the top slots of the Radian. DS2 isn't THAT much longer in the torso than ds1 was at 27 months, so I'm hoping that his torso growth will slow down as well. I figure if ds2 is too large for the Frontier harness and at least 5-6, I will be okay with him in a booster.

Just my :twocents:

Yoshi

Yes, he is truly huge. Length-wise, that is. He's actually fairly skinny. He also has a long neck and a tall head (ok, I know that sounds funny). I have had a Husky before for one of my older kids, so I know well how massive they are. I drive an 05 Sienna and I do believe that the Regent installs fine in that vehicle. I just find it hard to believe that he could get more than 3 years out of the Radian when he's at the 2nd to top slots now.
Jessie

The installation "rules" for the newer Regents are stricter re: mandatory use of Recline bar and the belt path option than the Husky.:twocents: That boils down to some "issues" that didn't exist when the older Regents and Huskies allowed a less stringent install.

DahliaRW

I really think he'll make it to 5-6 in the radian. And if he doesn't, most likely for sure in the nautilus. I wouldn't, personally. And you never know what other HWH seats might come out in the meantime.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Probably not, unless you just WANT it for a spare/secondary seat/etc.

I'd save my money for an XTSL instead to RF him to 45 lbs. but that's me. ;)

Also, you never know what will be on the market when he outgrows the Radian and True Fit... :whistle:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC