Can we talk winter and car seat safety again...

K's Mama

I think the thing I hate mostabout winter is carseats. We are in Saskatchewan - it gets COLD here (like -20 to -40 some days). In the past I have always just put a thin fleece snowsuit or a fleece jacket on DD and when it is really cold I cover her with a blanket and carry her. But now I have two kids to haul around so that isn't as easy anymore. Plus DD is now in pre-K and I am already getting funny looks b/c she is wearing just a fleece jacket (and it hasn't even hit 0 yet...). Today I just put her in the seat sans jacket and put her winter coat on when we got to school - this isn't going to be an option when winter hits though. She is RF'ing in a TF (last winter she was in a MA). I tried putting her jacket on undone and then doing the straps up - NOT going to work with the TF b/c I can't easily adjust the straps and the fit is not good. So - what other quick options are there? Can I put her in her ski pants (bibbed) and then buckle her in her seat and put the jacket on at our destination? Or should I just cave and switch her FF'ing (she's 3 months shy of 4 years).

I will be SO glad when she's old enough to ride the school bus...

ADS

simplychels

Im in sask as well and dont find winter riding hard at all. granted I still have only the one DD. But DD gets into the car and automatically takes her jacket off. I warm the car up nice before we get in, and have her in her normal clothes (a tshirt and light sweater, or a long sleeved shirt and light sweater) and shes fine. I usually throw a blanket or her jacket onto of her over the harness.

For me that jacket trick is too time consuming and I feel better without having anything between her and the shell of the seat.

I've seen lots of moms on here rec a fleese jacket as they are thicker but dont compress the way regular jackets do. i'd rather not use one, but they are a great option for many! eta i just saw you already do that, sorry. what if you put a fleese sweater on and a reg jacket on as well and had kiddos take the big jacket off prior to installing them in the seats? might work better then trying to manage a blanket

canadiangie

I think the thing I hate mostabout winter is carseats. We are in Saskatchewan - it gets COLD here (like -20 to -40 some days). In the past I have always just put a thin fleece snowsuit or a fleece jacket on DD and when it is really cold I cover her with a blanket and carry her. But now I have two kids to haul around so that isn't as easy anymore. Plus DD is now in pre-K and I am already getting funny looks b/c she is wearing just a fleece jacket (and it hasn't even hit 0 yet...). Today I just put her in the seat sans jacket and put her winter coat on when we got to school - this isn't going to be an option when winter hits though. She is RF'ing in a TF (last winter she was in a MA). I tried putting her jacket on undone and then doing the straps up - NOT going to work with the TF b/c I can't easily adjust the straps and the fit is not good. So - what other quick options are there? Can I put her in her ski pants (bibbed) and then buckle her in her seat and put the jacket on at our destination? Or should I just cave and switch her FF'ing (she's 3 months shy of 4 years).

I will be SO glad when she's old enough to ride the school bus...

Does she go outside when at school?

If not, I think continuing to use a thin polar fleece jacket is fine. I personally don't fuss with removing anything when we get into the car. I dress the girls in outfits that are car seat friendly, and then layer a car seat friendly coat overtop, tighten the harness right down over them, and truly believe that it's fine. I have pics of my oldest in her fleece coat and buckled in her seat. I then have the 'after' shots of her in the harness sans coat. The harness is still well within acceptable tightness... well within. ;)

The issue is really working hard to get the harness snugged down over the coat; compressing the fabric. Making sure there are no bunches of fabric behind the child, and that the harness is laying high and flat on the child's shoulders. ETA: "high" meaning not falling off the child's shoulders.

If you have trouble adjusting the harness of the TF, make sure you're using the continuous loop setup to your advantage... pulling up on one side, slipping her arm under, then pulling up on the other side of the harness putting her other arm under. Remember that you can reach behind the seat to pull out additional slack in the harness (if you're starting out really loose).

The TF is actually a pretty winter friendly seat as it offers so much interior shoulder room and legroom.

All that to say, that at almost 4, if you want to turn her ff'ing, you shouldn't feel bad about it. You've done excellent mama. :thumbsup:

K's Mama

Does she go outside when at school?

If not, I think continuing to use a thin polar fleece jacket is fine. I personally don't fuss with removing anything when we get into the car. I dress the girls in outfits that are car seat friendly, and then layer a car seat friendly coat overtop, tighten the harness right down over them, and truly believe that it's fine. I have pics of my oldest in her fleece coat and buckled in her seat. I then have the 'after' shots of her in the harness sans coat. The harness is still well within acceptable tightness... well within. ;)

The issue is really working hard to get the harness snugged down over the coat; compressing the fabric. Making sure there are no bunches of fabric behind the child, and that the harness is laying high and flat on the child's shoulders. ETA: "high" meaning not falling off the child's shoulders.

If you have trouble adjusting the harness of the TF, make sure you're using the continuous loop setup to your advantage... pulling up on one side, slipping her arm under, then pulling up on the other side of the harness putting her other arm under. Remember that you can reach behind the seat to pull out additional slack in the harness (if you're starting out really loose).

The TF is actually a pretty winter friendly seat as it offers so much interior shoulder room and legroom.

All that to say, that at almost 4, if you want to turn her ff'ing, you shouldn't feel bad about it. You've done excellent mama. :thumbsup:

Yes - they do go outside - not every day, but I never know when they might. So warm dress is a must. Would ski pants be acceptable in a seat? Her winter jacket is way too puffy to get the harness tight enough, and the problem with leaving it unzipped is that the straps don't lay flat.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I live in the same weather and this year we're trying the snow pants alone. I bought her the Columbia Annie Angel set which has pants that have a fleece bib, so not as bulky as regular pants and the harness should sit nicely on the fleece. I haven't tried them in her seat yet (we also have a RF TF), but I will try and do so this weekend and let you know. Our garage is detached, so she needs something on her legs to walk out to the vehicle when the windchill drops, so I have my fingers crossed that they will work. And it's not easy to get her completely undressed for the 10 mins drive only to have to get her dressed again (which mostly involves an adult standing outside the vehicle freezing!!).

K's Mama

I live in the same weather and this year we're trying the snow pants alone. I bought her the Columbia Annie Angel set which has pants that have a fleece bib, so not as bulky as regular pants and the harness should sit nicely on the fleece. I haven't tried them in her seat yet (we also have a RF TF), but I will try and do so this weekend and let you know. Our garage is detached, so she needs something on her legs to walk out to the vehicle when the windchill drops, so I have my fingers crossed that they will work. And it's not easy to get her completely undressed for the 10 mins drive only to have to get her dressed again (which mostly involves an adult standing outside the vehicle freezing!!).

Yep - except that our drive is 3 minutes...

Where did you get the Columbia set?

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Yep - except that our drive is 3 minutes...

Where did you get the Columbia set?
I got a local retailer that carries adult Columbia stuff to order it in for me. But West End Kids in Ottawa carries it and they ship for free over $150, so add a toque or mittens to the order and shipping is free. Annie Angel @ West End Kids

For $10 less, Sport Mart has a similar Columbia set (the same style pants with the same fleece top half) but the jacket doesn't have adjustable cuffs or the piece overtop of the zipper. But, it's cute too. The only reason I didn't get the Sport Mart one is because DD still needed the 4T size and Sport Mart starts at 4/5, they don't carry the toddler sizes. I linked you to the bigger sizes at West End Kids since your child is closer to 4 than mine, but they also sell the toddler sizes which are $10 less.

ETA: and I have ordered from West End Kids before and they shipped quickly but they don't send out a shipping email, just an order email so you wonder what's going on until your order just shows up. :)

Last edited:

canadiangie

I got a local retailer that carries adult Columbia stuff to order it in for me. But West End Kids in Ottawa carries it and they ship for free over $150, so add a toque or mittens to the order and shipping is free. Annie Angel @ West End Kids

For $10 less, Sport Mart has a similar Columbia set (the same style pants with the same fleece top half) but the jacket doesn't have adjustable cuffs or the piece overtop of the zipper. But, it's cute too. The only reason I didn't get the Sport Mart one is because DD still needed the 4T size and Sport Mart starts at 4/5, they don't carry the toddler sizes. I linked you to the bigger sizes at West End Kids since your child is closer to 4 than mine, but they also sell the toddler sizes which are $10 less.

LOL, I was hoping you'd post! I was trying to remember the Annie suit, but couldn't think of the name. (what a weird name IMO)

OP, if she has a hook at school just bring her outside coat along and hang it there. If anyone asks why you do that, just be honest and say that her outside coat is too thick for a car seat. :twocents:

Lucy_R

I am exactly in your boat. I live in Sask as well, and have two dds, a 4 year old ff and 19 month old rf. I have been doing the winter jackets for the past week because as we know it's been snowing and cold out here, and my dd also goes to pre-k. It's been a nightmare so far. Last year I managed with a car seat poncho for my youngest, and just did the jacket on and off for my oldest. But this year, the poncho isn't really an option because she's older and she would just hate it with the arms covered. She's also wanting to walk a lot now as well, so it isn't really functional for us as much. I remember the good old days when it was just my one and she was in the middle and taking the jacket on and off was so simple because I just got in with her and closed the door. But now with one on each side, the door has to stay open and it's just not easy at all. The jacket trick doesn't work for us either, I use puffy ones so there's no way they fit. So basically for now I'm sucking it up and taking the coats on and off. It takes forever and is EXTREMELY inconvenient when you have a few stores to go to, but I can't really see an option that would work much better in -40. We are getting a new SUV in a couple of months with 2 captain's chairs in the second row, so I will be able to get in between them and close the door. Thank god, it can't come fast enough.

Where in Sask are you?

3plus2isme

Ugh, I'm dealing with the same thing. It gets cooold here (E-town, AB) and the last week with it snowing and cold temps we've been using our puffy Gap jackets but taking them off when they get into their car seats. Extrememly annoying and it'll be worse once the baby is here but what else can I do. There's no way a thin fleece is enough for them when it drops another 30 degrees (or more.) They're pretty good about taking off their jackets quickly but it's still a PITA!

featherhead

Last year with my 18 month old she mostly used a fleece jacket. On the super cold days (I'm in Manitoba, so -30 to -40) she would have a diaper shirt, a long sleeved shirt, a sweater, and her fleece. Sometimes I would bring her parka or a puffy vest along and put it on over top. I think I would be fine with her wearing bibbed ski pants in the car seat.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
To answer the snow pants question, I have had good success with getting the harness tight enough with snow pants on. I hold the buckle and pull one strap above the buckle to compress the fabric as much as possible, then do the same on the opposite side. I find the actual bib part to not interfere at all.

I can't use the winter coat trick with ds. It's aggravating and ineffective with him. With Jillian I can pull thinner coats out to the side - but these are a weight that I'd also be comfortable leaving zipped up if need be. What I do do though is fold the bottom of the jacket up so that it's not caught in the hip straps at all. If there's a hood, then I make sure it's up when I position the straps and tighten the harness to get as much material as possible out of the way.

When it's super cold they do wear a 2nd heavier coat over top of their "carseat coats" out to the car and then take it off. I purposefully buy a coat or warm sweater that is a good weight to keep them warm enough on days down to about -10 or so but still thin enough to be ok in the carseat. It means I don't have to hassle with extra layers as often... we have lots of blankets in the car that we throw over top of them once they're buckled in. :thumbsup:

Jewels

Senior Community Member

ETA: and I have ordered from West End Kids before and they shipped quickly but they don't send out a shipping email, just an order email so you wonder what's going on until your order just shows up. :)

So, when I saw this snowsuit on sale for $60-80 I should have bought it??? :(

Okay, so since this is a winter coat thread and we're all trying to figure out how to keep our kids warm I have a question. What do you guys think would be warmer:

1. A fleece coat with a cotton shell or

2. A wool coat with a satin/polyester lining

I can't decide which I think would be warmer but I got a super cute girls wool jacket at superstore for $40 and I'm thinking that with a sweater under it that it would be good for our winters and like featherhead i'm in MB so it gets COLD here.

And just incase anyone wants to see what I'm debating here is a picture of the two. Pink one is the fleece with cotton lining and the gray one is wool.

October2009193.jpg

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
So, when I saw this snowsuit on sale for $60-80 I should have bought it??? :(
Yes! Our Sport Mart had last year's model on sale for $89.99 and in DD's size too, but it was 2 shades of pink and DD was adamant that she have "BLUE WITH PINK INSIDE THE HOOD" so that's the one I got her. Glad my local store gave me a "discount" @ $120. :rolleyes:

Okay, so since this is a winter coat thread and we're all trying to figure out how to keep our kids warm I have a question. What do you guys think would be warmer:

1. A fleece coat with a cotton shell or

2. A wool coat with a satin/polyester lining
I would think the wool would be warmer. I think it's going to provide better windproofing and better breathability. The fleece/cotton one looks like it would be great for fall, but not for prairie winters (even with a sweater).

Cute coats! :)

Last edited:

Lucy_R

My dd has that Joe coat in pink. Omg, the buttons take FOREVER. They are too big for the holes. Lol. She's only worn it like twice because apparently it's "scratchy," even though I asked her if it was a bunch of times before we bought it. But no no, it was just perfect then.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
I would think the wool would be warmer. I think it's going to provide better windproofing and better breathability. The fleece/cotton one looks like it would be great for fall, but not for prairie winters (even with a sweater).

Cute coats! :)
I wondered that about the wool coat and I do think it looks more wintery. Thanks for the input.

My dd has that Joe coat in pink. Omg, the buttons take FOREVER. They are too big for the holes. Lol. She's only worn it like twice because apparently it's "scratchy," even though I asked her if it was a bunch of times before we bought it. But no no, it was just perfect then.
I could see it being scratchy! I think I will have a thin hooded sweater on her under it to help with the scratchiness. The first time I did the buttons I thought it was a pain but then I put on the pink one and it took just as long just in a different order. After doing the buttons a couple of times I found that it loosened some. I think it is super cute and had a hard time deciding on gray or pink. Glad I got gray as someone lent me the pink one in the picture.

Shanora

I hate winter I just wanted to get that out there! LOL

Liam has a warm but thin coat that he likes to take off in the van, I let him, but I make sure he is wearing a sweater under it so that he's not just in a T-shirt. Then I cover him with a blanket....or his coat and we are good to go. But he's FFing. As for baby, she has a fleece snowsuit from LLBean, but its kinda large on her, so if she wears it in her SS1 I have to really pull and tuck the fabric around to get it out of the way of the harnesses....so I usually just put her Gap Hoodie on her and tuck a wrap over her legs (I babywear her anyhow so its just a good place to keep it). But I'm thinking that it might be time to get her a new seat so that I can put her into the fleece suit and properly harnesses her....

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC