Question Picking out a convertible seat

U

Unregistered

Hi everyone. I am trying to figure out which convertible seat to buy my Ds. He is almost 6 months old and is about to outgrow his infant carseat. He's between 17-19 pounds and roughly 27 inches long. He's been around the 75th % for height in the past.

What I am looking for:

-Great safety rating
-Fits in my 2008 Honda Civic (I may get a minivan of some sort when we have baby #2 in a couple years but it's the civic for now). Not sure if I could put the seat in the middle? If not, then I need the seat to fit okay while still not having to move the passenger or driver seat all the way up.
-Comfortable for baby
-(if possible) something that doesn't get blazing hot in the summer b/c I live in TX and it gets HOT
-Installation not a huge pain since we might need to move it to another car from time to time
-Fits him up to a good size weight limit, I'd rather spend a little more and have it last him awhile

Any suggestions? As far as price range, I'm not sure as I'll have to talk to Dh. I'd guess around $250. But if something was a little more, we might spend more if it meant a huge difference in safety/comfort/better fit for our car.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Welcome!

Safety ratings aren't published, so let's cross that off your list.

If you can fit an infant seat in the middle you can fit most convertibles since a convertible takes up less space front to back because it can be more upright. Counterintuitive, but true.

So, less than $250 and easy installation....

1. Graco My Ride, 40 pounds rear facing, 65 pounds forward, 16" top slots, $160.

2. Safety 1st Complete Air, 40 pounds rear facing, 50 pounds forward, 17.5" top slots, $250.

3. Learning Curve True Fit, 35 pounds rear facing, 65 pounds forward, 17.5" top slots, $150 (regular), $250 (Premier).

4. Evenflo Triumph Advance, 35 pounds rear facing, 50 pounds forward, 17.5" top slots, $140-$180.

5. Britax Roundabout 50, 35 pounds rear facing, 50 pounds forward, 16.5" top slots, $199.

Those are probably my top five for easy installation, fit to your car, fit and longevity to your baby. I don't know about the heat, though. We lived in NC for 10 years, but Piper didn't, and still doesn't, sweat, so heat in the car wasn't a concern for us. You can keep an ice pack that you pop in the car to cool the buckles, or toss a towel over the seat in the summertime to prevent the seat itself from heating up, but someone else will likely know which patterns and covers work better to repel the heat and sweat.

Wendy

U

Unregistered

Thanks so much for the stats! Since Ds seems to be growing tall pretty fast I may go for something that has the higher top slots. Hmm.

What if we spent $300? Any more options then?

What age will 35 lb RFing get us? I know that varies SO much. Ballpark though? If I RFed till age 2 or 3, would a 35 lb weight limit be enough?

Also the FF weight limit, do they typically outgrow it in weight (the 50 or 65 lb weight limit) or in height? At what point are they ready for a booster?

Kaede's_Mom

I like in Oklahoma so I know about the heat problem.

Steer away from the darker colored covers if possible. We have plush material on most of our covers and it stays prettty cool. We do keep an old beach towle in the car in the summer time. We drape it over the seat and it keeps the sun off the buckles and keeps them much cooler.

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
Thanks so much for the stats! Since Ds seems to be growing tall pretty fast I may go for something that has the higher top slots. Hmm.

What if we spent $300? Any more options then?

What age will 35 lb RFing get us? I know that varies SO much. Ballpark though? If I RFed till age 2 or 3, would a 35 lb weight limit be enough?

Also the FF weight limit, do they typically outgrow it in weight (the 50 or 65 lb weight limit) or in height? At what point are they ready for a booster?

The seats she suggested above should get almost any kid to 2-3y rf. Our kids are 90+% and made it to 33# and 2+y rf. We didn't have all the great options you have 2y ago.

We would have only made it rf longer with a 40# seat and a taller shell.

Most kids outgrow ff by height unless they are stocky build.

ndondo

Thank you for the great info with price and specification
:thumbsup:
oops just found out Graco My Ride isn't available in canada :(
Welcome!

Safety ratings aren't published, so let's cross that off your list.

If you can fit an infant seat in the middle you can fit most convertibles since a convertible takes up less space front to back because it can be more upright. Counterintuitive, but true.

So, less than $250 and easy installation....

1. Graco My Ride, 40 pounds rear facing, 65 pounds forward, 16" top slots, $160.

2. Safety 1st Complete Air, 40 pounds rear facing, 50 pounds forward, 17.5" top slots, $250.

3. Learning Curve True Fit, 35 pounds rear facing, 65 pounds forward, 17.5" top slots, $150 (regular), $250 (Premier).

4. Evenflo Triumph Advance, 35 pounds rear facing, 50 pounds forward, 17.5" top slots, $140-$180.

5. Britax Roundabout 50, 35 pounds rear facing, 50 pounds forward, 16.5" top slots, $199.

Those are probably my top five for easy installation, fit to your car, fit and longevity to your baby. I don't know about the heat, though. We lived in NC for 10 years, but Piper didn't, and still doesn't, sweat, so heat in the car wasn't a concern for us. You can keep an ice pack that you pop in the car to cool the buckles, or toss a towel over the seat in the summertime to prevent the seat itself from heating up, but someone else will likely know which patterns and covers work better to repel the heat and sweat.

Wendy

ontariomama

Those prices won't be the same in Canada either :eek:. We have different seats available, some with different limits too. Check out this link about what high weight seats are available in Canada.

You can also add to that list in late November/December (they are on pre-order now at some retailers):
Radian 65 and Premier rf to 40 lbs, ff to 65 lbs
Radian XT rf to 45 lbs, ff to 65 lbs

HTH :)

ShannonMVT

Okay, I am registered now. :)

What about a Radian?

Does anyone have firsthand experience with the Safety 1st complete air? It looks neat, but some reviews said they had trouble with it while RFing.

romanoma

Radian is a great seat, high top slots, great weight limit for FF 65-80lbs and RF 40-45lbs depending on the model. It also has an 8 yr lifespan. The problem is, it can be very difficult to install. It depends on the vehicle. Actually, in some cars, in some positions, it is impossible to install. So it really is a try before you buy kind of seat. And as you said, you wanted easy to install. This seat may be easy in your car, but what if you get a rental car? Or a friends car? It cannot be assured to be an easy install.

Generally it is easier with latch, harder with seatbelt. So if you have a newer car (made after 2005) and spend the money on the new SuperLatch version, you may have an easier time b/c you can install it up to the full weight limit with latch.

Pretty confusing, huh? That's why it was left off of the original list :)

But even with all those quirks, I really love my radian.

DahliaRW

I have a complete air and really like it. It took a bit of learning to install (I had some experience installing a similar seat which helped), but once I figured it out it's easy (at least for me). But, I do think you'll need a pool noodle to get it reclined enough in most vehicles.

I also have a radian I like. If it fits rfing between your front seats it might work for you. But it takes up the most room front to back since it tends to be forced to recline more.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC