my DD better grow some shoulders! monterey pic

ginny4

my DD better grow some shoulders! monterey pic UPDATE post #13

why on earth would i say such a thing like that? cause she NEEDS to fit the monterey by 6yo! i swear i thought she had broad shoulders about 2 years ago but now they are so skinny looking.
she is 5y 5m & the shoulder belt looks like its gonna slide right off her shoulder (especially in an impact). WDYT?
oh yes the wings are at their smallest setting
2009-10047.jpg

i do have a turbo for her to use now for booster training but i REALLY wanted my latched monterey for when she is full time boostered in our van.

Last edited:
ADS

menfusse

How does it look with the headrest up just one notch? This happens with my dd, and adjusting just that single notch makes all the difference. Shoulder belt makes good contact and her head is still within the wings. A notch down and it looks like what your dd does. Might be worth a try?

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
I have noticed the same problem with my 6 year old. I didn't really notice it when the Monterey was in dh's car but I've just moved it to my car and I do. I've had her move her hiney over towards the belt guide so the belt is not so close to the edge of her shoulder. Hers is not as bad as your dd but it is definitely an issue. I LOVE this seat but this issue bothers me.

Mommy2Marcus

OMG! Look at how big she has gotten! I remember when you were looking for her a new seat when she was outgrowing the FPSVD! She has grown ALOT! LOL! She looks SO much like a big girl now instead of toddler/big girl...KWIM?

I have no advice otherwise. Just wanted to mention that!

ginny4

How does it look with the headrest up just one notch? This happens with my dd, and adjusting just that single notch makes all the difference. Shoulder belt makes good contact and her head is still within the wings. A notch down and it looks like what your dd does. Might be worth a try?

wow i didn't think of that. i'll have to try clicking the headrest up a notch to see if it helps.
again not a real issue yet as its not her seat yet. just thinking ahead...

ginny4

I have noticed the same problem with my 6 year old. I didn't really notice it when the Monterey was in dh's car but I've just moved it to my car and I do. I've had her move her hiney over towards the belt guide so the belt is not so close to the edge of her shoulder. Hers is not as bad as your dd but it is definitely an issue. I LOVE this seat but this issue bothers me.

sorry i have no idea how to multi quote so forgive me.

hmmm i can scoot her over a bit too but i'm just not comfortable with that. she probably wouldn't even stay in the right spot for very long. she'd lean to the other side & be out of the belt. obviously not really ready for a booster full time then. i had let her take a ride in it once for about 10min & she was leaning to the opposite side. the shoulder belt was on her arm. YIKES. i told her that she is much too small for this seat just yet. she loves the monterey & can't wait for it to be hers. i told her she better eat all the good foods to grow bigger so she can possibly fit it better at 6yo.

kandamom

I hope that moving the headrest up one click works for you. It did for us. DS1 is 7.5 and fairly tall, but not very broad in the shoulders. The belt fit looked wide for him at first, but moving the headrest up made all the difference. It fits him perfectly now.

ginny4

OMG! Look at how big she has gotten! I remember when you were looking for her a new seat when she was outgrowing the FPSVD! She has grown ALOT! LOL! She looks SO much like a big girl now instead of toddler/big girl...KWIM?

I have no advice otherwise. Just wanted to mention that!

OMG i KNOW! i can't believe how grown up she looks. my baby girl where did the time go?
can you believe that i'm wondering when james will outgrow the FPSVD now. LOL he's creeping up but i'm pretty certain he'll make it til 4yo too.

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
My guess is that moving the belt guides up a notch will help. I need to do that with my dd now that the Monterey is in my car. My dd does fine scootching over but the shoulder belt issue is not as severe as it is for yours and she sits fine.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Multi quote is to the right of quote. When you click it, it turns red. Click all the ones you want, and then click quote on the last one, walla!

Yoshi

That is why the Monterey didn't work for my DD either- she is not skinny, but not a linebacker, either. Moving it up a notch just made it hit her neck weird, so we returned ours. Hope it works out for you.

Kat_Momof3

remember, in the manual, SK says the guide must be at least 1cm above the shoulder... it looks like the girl pictured (who is adorable, btw) is about even with the guides, so it's time to move the headrest up.

HOWEVER, I also feel this doesn't fit skinny kids well (and back when I voiced it, people disagreed with me somewhat)... and it (along with Jeffrey changing his mind and saying that as long as Ruthie doesn't have the EXACT same (red Monterey) booster as him, he wants to keep using his HBB) is why I (OOHING over the feel of the cover) bought a Recaro Vivo while they are on sale for Ruthie to move into this summer (she'll probably outgrow the Nautilus around that time and she's REALLY bugging to move to a booster, so when I saw the sale, I test fit and planned)

ginny4

i took the advice to move the headrest up. she also was sitting not quite centered in the seat so i scooted her over to be more centered & took new pic. not as much of a happy camper
2009-10050.jpg

i think it looks better right? however i was able to place my entire hand (as if i would grab her arms on both sides of her shoulders. she has way too much wiggle room. just in trying to get her to sit where i want her & the fatc that she wasn't all that interested in cooperating she would lean to one side & twist around a lil so then she would be out of the shoulder belt. so even tho it looks better its not the best fit for her. this stinks!

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
LOL - love that lip!

I'm really no help - I just wanted to say I don't like the way my dd fits in the Monterey, either, for the same reasons.

I do think the fit looks better with the headrest up a notch, but I agree she does seem to have quite a lot of "wiggle room."

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
We have this problem w/ the FPSVB, that's why I don't like using it, but it's all that fits back there right now. We need to get AJ a booster at tax time and there's no place to try boosters out here. I'm afraid I'm going to have to buy and return a few. :(

bethng

Re: my DD better grow some shoulders! monterey pic UPDATE post #13

why on earth would i say such a thing like that? cause she NEEDS to fit the monterey by 6yo! i swear i thought she had broad shoulders about 2 years ago but now they are so skinny looking.
she is 5y 5m & the shoulder belt looks like its gonna slide right off her shoulder (especially in an impact). WDYT?
oh yes the wings are at their smallest setting

I had the same problem with my monterey. No matter how I adjusted it or the seatbelt, the shoulder belt fell off her shoulder. So I had to sell it. :(

Qarin

While I'm sad your DD doesn't fit the Monterey very well, I'm glad to see this thread. I tried both my DDs in a friend's Monterey and they just totally did NOT fit, the shoulder belt really did not want to land anywhere but on the outside edge of their shoulders and they had a ton of side to side room to make it easy to lean away from the seatbelt. I was so sad to see it, because I was totally going to angle to get at least one- I love the side-impact crash test video of it so much. Anyway, everyone seemed to love it for their small kids, I thought it was just me.

jubgulia

Hmm... Weird. I sat DS1 in one at the store the other day and looked like he filled it out pretty well. Had to move the headrest up a few clicks and he didn't have much space on either side of him. Of course, I didn't try it in the car so I suppose that could change everything.

Kat_Momof3

it does look better. if she weren't one to lean to one side or the other, I'd say the fit was fine... but since she does (hey, my daughter would, too), I'd say she needs a different booster.

It's really just a matter of not every seat being right for every kid... cause my 8.5yr old, Jeffrey, has found this the perfect booster for him from the moment we got it and I've actually had to expand it almost all the way for width because of his broad shoulders.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC