Do you think...

this is possible?

An 18m FTT child being capable of escaping their car seat by undoing both the chest clip & buckle?

I was out w/ my BFF the other night & he proceeded to tell me that his friend's DD undoes her seat all the time. It doesn't make sense. My girls are a week younger than hers & are just figuring out how to help buckle the chest clip not unbuckle. He claims she's been doing this for months & also claims to have witnessed it.

I have no idea what seat she's in as he's not smart enough to ask or pay attention even though I've asked him several times. I told him that she's either not being properly tightened in her harness, the clips/buckles aren't being properly done or the clips/buckles are faulty.

I think this mom needs a visit from a CPST to help w/ her problem.

ADS

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Absolutely. Although I do agree that in the situation you described, misuse is probably also a factor. But yes, I've seen babies that age capable of doing it. I even watched my friend's son (who was barely 2) snake his arm around through the booster-use belt path of his combo seat and unbuckle the entire car seat (he was using it in harness mode.)

Some kids just develop such motor skills at an early age, just like some walk insanely early, yk?

TiaxMarie

When my dd was 16-17 months, Dh had a problem with her undoing her chest clip, but never the crotch buckle. I can barely shove my thumbs down to un click those things, no way an 18 month old would be doing that.

I checked my dd in DH's seat, and he just didn't have the harness quite tight enough, allowing her to unclip it. We fixed the problem and it hasn't happened again.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
When my dd was 16-17 months, Dh had a problem with her undoing her chest clip, but never the crotch buckle. I can barely shove my thumbs down to un click those things, no way an 18 month old would be doing that.

I've met some VERY strong 18-month-olds. It varies.

MANDY1234

I believe it...I watched my 10 months old try to do it. If she was stronger she could do it. It's scares me...

all together ooky

I believe it. I think my 18-month old could undo the buckle of the Nautilus (no, it's not her seat-she's still rear-facing) since it's pretty easy. She can't do her True Fit, but hasn't really tried either.

I'm going to tell my BFF that his friend should visit w/ a CPST to see if they can figure out how she's doing it & how to stop it. I really want to know what seat she's in. A scenera I just can't see it happening, that buckle button is a few choice words. A GN I could see but I hope to goodness that her tiny 18mo is not in a GN (I doubt she is).

Mommy2Marcus

I'm going to tell my BFF that his friend should visit w/ a CPST to see if they can figure out how she's doing it & how to stop it. I really want to know what seat she's in. A scenera I just can't see it happening, that buckle button is a few choice words. A GN I could see but I hope to goodness that her tiny 18mo is not in a GN (I doubt she is).

My son undid the chest clip of his Scenera when he was about 20 months old. He was RF & I didn't know he did it untill we arrived. I made a HUGE deal about it & he never did it again. I am still not sure how he did it, but he did.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC