Car seat for a speacial needs child. Please help

U

Unregistered

Hello, I have a Hypotonic (Floppy infant syndrome) 6 mo old son. He has grown out of his Britax Companion. He is 26.5 inches and 15.4 Lbs. I drive a 2002 Ford Explorer.

I need something that will RECLINE enough for him. If it's not reclined enough he will slump over and suffocate (So thats REALLY important). I need it to be rear facing for a long time due to his condition. Please, Any help is REALLY appriciated!

ADS

Evolily

A rear facing convertible should be able to install at a 45 degree angle, assuming there is enough room in the back seat!

There is a member here who has a daughter with CP in a graco my ride, and it provides a lot of support and also rearfaces to 40 lbs (although the shell can be a bit short). Other seats to look at that tend to provide more support and rear face to 35 lbs include the evenflo triumph advance, first years true fit, and recaro como/signo. But any seat should be able to provide enough RFing recline, although depending on the seat you may have to use pool noodles to increase the recline. If you want an infant seat still you can look at the safeseat 1/ snugride 32/35, safety 1st onboard 35, and chicco keyfit 30.

For extended rearfacing, the two seats with the tallest shells and weight limits currently are the sunshine kids radian and safety 1st complete air. Both can be installed at a 45 degree angle, although I'm unsure if either really provides as much support as the above listed seats do- they don't seem to cradle the body quite as well, but may work well for your child :)

Good luck!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
You can use the rear-facing tether to adjust the Radian more reclined if you're not naturally getting a 45 degree angle (and if you can find a spot to attach the d-ring to RF tether), though.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC