Need advice for a drive through Christmas light display

jrmo

DD3 is RFing Center in a Radian in our 2007 CRV. We are planning a trip to Branson for November, and plan to visit a drive through lighting display. I've been through it before, and she won't be able to enjoy it rearfacing. Since I'm NOT pulling out the Radian and reinstalling it at the entrance to the display, I thought maybe I would just pick up a cheap LBB to pack and belt her in outboard where she could see once we get in the gate. Is this totally insane, if slightly illegal? I mean, literally we will not top 10 mph, if that, and it's in an enclosed park.... I just feel weird about it.

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Does DD3 mean that she is 3yo? Depending on size, I *might* be okay with a good HBB just for the drive-through display. I don't think a backless is at all appropriate for a 3yo.

jrmo

Yes, she is 3. 35lbs and 40 inches tall. HBB is not really an option, because it's something we would like to pack, and I also don't want to invest in a HBB yet because it would probably expire before she would be done with it. I know it's not ideal, of course, but acceptable for driving through the park?

lovinwaves

Are you staying at a hotel? I would change it around before you leave the hotel and let her ride back to the hotel FF'ing. Change it back that night or in the morning.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I'd probably do it, as long as she meets the minimum requirements and sits properly ('If you lean out of your seatbelt, you'll need to get back into your regular seat, honey, it's very important that you sit still in this seat just for the Christmas lights tonight, ok?').

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
In terms of acceptable, well, it's probably legal.

I would not be comfortable switching a kid from RF harnessed to backless booster, even for a ride through the park (yes, speeds are slow, but other drivers will be watching the lights and not you). HBB to backless, probably. FF harnessed to backless, maybe. RF to backless, no, too much of a swing around the learning curve. I agree with FFing at the hotel or rest stop or someplace convenient.

lovinwaves

Ok, just thinking here....since you a safety conscious Mom are you really going to enjoy the lightshow that much if she is in a No back booster? Are you going to be constantly looking at her to make sure she is sitting down, not moving around? To me, just for the sake of enjoying the show I would want her harnessed. No reason to turn around, or keep telling her, "sit still, put the belt back, don't lean, etc..." :eek: That's really all I think is the issue here, is how well everyone is going to enjoy the show. I would imagine it's not cheap, since it's in Branson, so I think spending a few extra minutes to change her seat around is worth it. :)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I would definitely change to FF for the ride there and back. I know it's only 10 MPH but what if someone goes out of control? Damage could still be done.

what about a higher profile seat? like a scenera ffing? its cheap but higher up..I have a daughter rfing in a radian (well not today lol but a lot of the time) she can usually see out in it if she strains (she is 41 inches tall) she likes it when I put her in the marathon cause it is taller and she can see better out the side window..with out straining her neck.

what about the radian ffing on the outboard, maybe give it a try

jrmo

Alright, alright. Guilt and frugality prevail. ;) I'll just move the blasted Radian! :eek: Thanks for the opinions.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC