Car seat in a motorhome.

N

North Of 60

My daughter is 10 months old and we have a britax boulevard. We are supposed to be leaving tomorrow on a camping trip, and are having a hard time fitting the seat in the motorhome.

It can't go in the front seat due to air bags, which leaves the captains chair behind the front passenger seat. The only problem is that the seat will not fit rear facing like that. The only thing is to turn it sideways, or forward facing.

What do I do?

What are the motorhome laws in the state of Florida.

ADS

mom2pjs

Senior Community Member
Why won't it fit rearfacing? Would it fit if installed in a more upright position?Sideways and forward are not options. Can you turn the airbags off? Can you purchase a lower profile carseat that might fit Rearfacing? Can you drive behind in a separate vehicle?

scatterbunny

Motorhomes in general are not very safe for carseats. :(

Some relevant threads:
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=1748

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=3548

IF the seatbelts in the captain's chair behind the driver's seat are, indeed, mounted to the frame of the RV then I would install the Boulevard more upright. Did you know the 45 degree recline angle is only necessary for newborns? What exactly is the problem you're having with the BV rear-facing?

North_Of_60

Why won't it fit rearfacing? Would it fit if installed in a more upright position?Sideways and forward are not options. Can you turn the airbags off? Can you purchase a lower profile carseat that might fit Rearfacing? Can you drive behind in a separate vehicle?

Can't purchase another seat. Can't turn the airbags off. Can't ride in another vehical. :(

It doesn't fit rear facing because there is a partition that sepperates the cockpit from the rest of the bus, and it hits that wall and pushes it upright.

I had it installed like that, and it looked REALLY upright to me. How "upright" would be it safe to install it like that? Angle-wise.

The seat belts in this seat, are indeed anchored like the front two (which is why we got this motorhome!), and now I'm totally bummed that the seat doesn't fit.

I *does* fit rear facing, but it just looks really really upright. At maybe a 30 degree angle, or even a little steeper.

mominabigtruck

Totally off topic, but I can still remember when my sister was about 2years old my parents went out a trip in their motorhome and my dad took her highchair, one of those little tykes plastic ones, and bolted it to the floor in between the front two seats. So really you shouldn't feel bad, almost anything you do short of strapping them to the front of the motorhome is going to be safer then that.

mdsvc89

I think 30% is fine for a child this age. The issue with infants is that their heads can flop forward and close off their airways. Assuming she is typical (w/o physiological problems) I'm sure she has good head control at this time, and 30% will be fine.

-Michelle

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Only infants need the 45 degree recline (NEVER ever more than 45 degrees), older kids can be really quite upright at about 30* :)

Have you asked the motorhome manufacturer if an airbag shut off switch can be installed & have you read the vehicle manual through yet :confused:

Also, be careful about whether or not the vehicle seat is bolted into the frame: which frame (the actual strong frame or the fake wood frame?) So far as I know, only the front driver + copilot seats are actually bolted into the real frame....

Motorhomes are pretty dangrous vehicles on the whole :( I'm both furious & disappointed that my parents didn't listen to me. They have a huge 6 passenger truck that could easily attach a good sized comfortable camper on the back & this would allow everyone to ride safely when not stopped, but they got an RV *sigh* I was hoping there'd been some safety improvements since I'd last looked into RVs, but no -- the seatbelts in the back area are a joke since they are not bolted into the real frame *UGH* (Any occupant could easily be ejected from their seat in even a minor crash, impacting the interior as well as other occupants!)

mom2pjs

Senior Community Member
Can't purchase another seat. Can't turn the airbags off. Can't ride in another vehical. :(

It doesn't fit rear facing because there is a partition that sepperates the cockpit from the rest of the bus, and it hits that wall and pushes it upright.

I had it installed like that, and it looked REALLY upright to me. How "upright" would be it safe to install it like that? Angle-wise.

The seat belts in this seat, are indeed anchored like the front two (which is why we got this motorhome!), and now I'm totally bummed that the seat doesn't fit.

I *does* fit rear facing, but it just looks really really upright. At maybe a 30 degree angle, or even a little steeper.

Upright is ok at this age I think unless she literally can't keep her head up and is looking at the ground. I don't know specific angles. Maybe post some pictures. Good luck.

North_Of_60

I just wanted to thank everyone for the replies. We're back, and I'm happy to say to that we got the seat installed nicely. I just didn't have it back far enough (the vehical seat), it was adjusted all the way forward which was why it was kind of cramped. I feel like a total dork, but we were happy with the way we got it all figured out.

Thanx again!

Morganthe

I'm very glad that everything worked out for you. I was wondering :)

You can be proud of your posting though, before you did so, I hadn't even considered how dd would safely travel in an RV if we ever purchased one. I've always wanted to get a small travel trailer, but dh had wished for a small RV. This just provides more ammo in the argument IF we ever have the funds for it. :D

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC