Anybody see ER tonight?

Jewels

Senior Community Member
At the end of the show there is a scene where Abby is taking her baby out of a peg carseat and the staps were just hanging off him :eek: You could tell she had a hard time trying to carry it (two hands, one facing in the other facing out with the seat infront of her). It looked awkward to me!

I think if they can be bothered to get an expensive seat they should at least learn how to use it.

ADS

Morganthe

Yep, I just saw that too. Really loose and I don't think the chest clip was even buckled. Since she doesn't use a car, does she actually strap that into every taxi she takes? I thought she used the subway a lot too.

All I could think was --Wow -- what a big baby for a preemie only aged 6 months! :D I only started watching ER again after TNT had its last season ender last month, so I went from Abby in danger after the criminals shot up the ER to Oh, you're a mommy. :confused: ;)

JaRylan

I saw it and wondered how long it would take until a "Anybody see ER tonight?" thread would show up, lol. Does this mean that I am "one of you" now? :) Did anyone also notice the wooden accordian baby gate? It was in the background of the shot where she turned her back on the baby while she left him sitting on the table in the car seat.

Jacqui

Lilsid

I also noticed the large bulky coat the baby was wearing. And the fact that the kid was just hanging out of the car seat while she was walking in the door. Even DH noticed and he said that kid is too big for a carrier don't ya think.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Wow. This tells me how long it has been since I watched ER.... Abby has a baby?

Abby is Maura Tierney, right?

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Right, that's her. I knew someone would notice the seat/straps and comment here.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
I saw it and wondered how long it would take until a "Anybody see ER tonight?" thread would show up, lol. Does this mean that I am "one of you" now? :) Did anyone also notice the wooden accordian baby gate? It was in the background of the shot where she turned her back on the baby while she left him sitting on the table in the car seat.

Jacqui

Yep I saw the gate at the very beginning and then again at the end.

I also noticed the large bulky coat the baby was wearing.

I thought he was wearing a striped sweater? But he did look to big for the seat but maybe it was the way he was sitting?

southpawboston

c'mon folks, it's TELEVISION.

they take all sorts of shortcuts in filming all the time! (like filming people driving in cars without wearing seatbelts, or with the headrests removed so it doesn't obstruct the camera). yeah, these are little pet peeves, but c'mon, it's just television...

Jewels

Senior Community Member
c'mon folks, it's TELEVISION.

they take all sorts of shortcuts in filming all the time! (like filming people driving in cars without wearing seatbelts, or with the headrests removed so it doesn't obstruct the camera). yeah, these are little pet peeves, but c'mon, it's just television...

Just because it is done all the time doesn't make it right! Seatbelts and carseats are a safety issue and should ALWAYS be used properly.

For many people the only exposure to some products are through the TV and stores. We all no, most stores are not great at advising people how to use carseats properly. There is always the manual, but often they don't get read. A visual will likely stick and you will remember it. What's that saying? Monkey see Monkey do!

It would have taken 1/2 a second to loosen a tightened harness, or they didn't even need to show her taking the baby out. She could have come in wearing her baby for that it would have mattered.

lovinwaves

I have to agree with Jewels. I think it is very important that Television/Media step up to the plate. We already have 9 out of 10 carseats being misused. We don't need the Media also portraying it. ;)

cantech

Sorry Southpaw, I'm with Jewels and patriot on this one! The more misuse portrayed in the media the harder it is for all of us to teach proper use! One of my dream jobs is as a consultant to the media for their portrayal of child restraints both on air and in print. It really wouldn't take that long to portray the usage as proper IMO.

Belinda

JaRylan

Wouldn't it be great if car seats (being properly used) achieved the same status as other product placement in the media. You know how when the pop can is sitting on the table the name-brand logo is front and centre. Too bad car seat companies can't stipulate that the product has to be used in the correct manner. I wonder why you don't see commercials for car seats like you see for everything from baby food to cars to beer? Okay, enough thinking for today.

Jacqui

southpawboston

since i didn't watch ER, can i assume that the carseat was not shown in a car? then there really is no responsibility to keep the harness properly tightened. we used our infant seat to carry out DD around outside from time to time because that was the only place she would sleep well for a few weeks. we weren't too concerned about how tight her harness was (if harnessed at all).

i suppose that if they had shown the baby in the carseat in a car... or even being taken out of a car, then i think they should have shown a little more responsibility for portrayal of proper use.

Wineaux

My wife is a nurse and she complains all the time about all the stupid errors and such that they show on TV shows and the movies. It's not called the Idiot Box without reason.

southpawboston

My wife is a nurse and she complains all the time about all the stupid errors and such that they show on TV shows and the movies. It's not called the Idiot Box without reason.

which is why our TV is only turned on after DD1 and 2 are asleep. we may get rid of it altogether and just use my laptop for nighttime movies (which is all we watch anyway).

Wineaux

Eek! No TV till they're asleep? BBC America and I are joined at the hip. I swear our kid is going to start speaking with an English accent... :D

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I missed it, but I watched Scrubs last night and Turk an Carla have a Keyfit for their baby. I was impressed. lol

Moragnthe, my friend had a 4# 34wker. Her dd is now 6.5 mos and 19#! :) I cringe when I still see she's using her infant seat b/c it only has a 20# limit.

since i didn't watch ER, can i assume that the carseat was not shown in a car? then there really is no responsibility to keep the harness properly tightened. we used our infant seat to carry out DD around outside from time to time because that was the only place she would sleep well for a few weeks. we weren't too concerned about how tight her harness was (if harnessed at all).

I disagree, what happens when the baby startles and flops out of the seat or someone acidentally bumps you and the baby falls? Using a carseat w/out baby being in securely (even if just for napping) is actually a strangulation hazard and babies have died that way. :(

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador

i suppose that if they had shown the baby in the carseat in a car... or even being taken out of a car, then i think they should have shown a little more responsibility for portrayal of proper use.

That is actually quite dangerous. Using a carseat without the child being harnessed in properly is unsafe. It really doesn't matter if the carseat is being used in the car or not. The child should be properly harnessed.

I can see loosening the harness A TAD while using it in other places besides the car, but I do mean just a TAD.

I had to use my niece's carseat as an infant seat to feed her one time because I didn't have anywhere else to put her. I strapped her into the carseat and then placed the carseat on the floor. Her bib just went over the straps. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC