Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

CPS Fanatic

Touriva question

I have a Cosco Touriva that my mom had in her car for DS. The sticker says 01/14/05 but I didn't see an expiration date. When does it expire? I cannot find the manual. How much would it cost to get a new cover? I am probably better off having her buy a Scenera, right? The comfortsport she has been using is getting ready to expire and not fitting DD very well.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

Re: Touriva question

6 years from DOM. You'd have about a year plus left on it. It's probably not much cheaper to get a new cover than to get a new seat-- I believe IF they still have parts for the Touriva (they might) it would end up being around $30 shipped? I think. A Scenera can be had for $40 or a bit less, so... Yeah.

Also, did you check to see if it has the "Notches of Death"?
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

CPS Fanatic

What are the "notches of death"?

Dorel never actually admitted fault on the notches, and took a long time to stop making seats with them, but I don't know anyone here who would use a Touriva with notches in the shell, seing as children were severely injured by them in crashes... There were notches in some of the shells where if it had been an OHS model the shield would have attached. They were right at head level and when children's heads impacted the side of the notch, it caused serious injury.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

I can't do it posting from my phone, but you can search the forums for 'touriva notches' and it should bring up some threads with pics of the notches. I know my 2004 Touriva has them.

Dorel continues to say the notches are perfectly safe, despite their own engineers saying otherwise.

ETA: Here is a post with a picture of the notches. But the links to the Chicago tribune articles aren't working for me. http://www.car-seat.org/showpost.php...04&postcount=2 (article that isn't working for me: http://www.car-seat.org/showpost.php...35&postcount=6)
    Last edited by NannyMom; 10-13-2009 at 09:07 PM.
    Mama to Sofi: 7.1 yrs, 46Lbs (47"), Boostered in a Turbo, Vivo, Monterey, Cybex; harnessed in Nautilus
    Nanny to BabyD, 21 months in a RXT, Classic Marathon, Boulevard 70

CPS Fanatic

Thanks for the help ladies. I will check for the notches when I get home from work. If they are there I will get rid of the seat and get a new one.

CPS Fanatic

The seat has notches. That means I should stop using it right?

Yes. You should destroy it.

I agree with KQ. Stop using it and destroy it.
    Mama to Sofi: 7.1 yrs, 46Lbs (47"), Boostered in a Turbo, Vivo, Monterey, Cybex; harnessed in Nautilus

CPS Technician

Get rid of the notches of death seat! Remove the cover, cut up the harness and if you can, saw in half or melt into a puddle the shell of the seat.

Make sure another child never rides in that seat!

CPS Fanatic

I will definitely destroy the seat. I have about 4 or 5 seats to destroy right now. They are all about to expire and are taking up room. We will have some fun this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by flutie128 View Post
    I will definitely destroy the seat. I have about 4 or 5 seats to destroy right now. They are all about to expire and are taking up room. We will have some fun this weekend.
    How far are you from baltimore co or carroll co? (you can pm me the answer if you want). There's a carseat recycling program starting here. I have a bunch of seats on my patio waiting for the guy to come get.

14. Thank You from:

CPS Fanatic

I live in Frederick County. Where in Carroll county is the program. I would love to recycle my car seats but I didn't think there was anyway in Maryland to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by flutie128 View Post
    I live in Frederick County. Where in Carroll county is the program. I would love to recycle my car seats but I didn't think there was anyway in Maryland to do that.
    I PMed you.