TF or EFTA

FrogJuice

I'm in need of an extra seat. I need something that will adjust easily so I can use it for a range of ages. I need it to be an easy installation.

It would be used in a 01 mpv, in a 2nd row captains chair. I would be using it for the ages of 2mo, 12mo,15mo,18mo, and possibly dd2 if she fits.

I just want something to have around so when I only have 1 daycare kid, I can install it in the spot where the turbo sits, and have easier access to the kid if I have running around to do.

Normally the daycare kids sit in the third row.

the TF and EFTA is what came to mind for the easy harness adjust, but please suggest something else if you feel it would be easier.

TIA

ADS

Pixels

Between those two I would pick the EFTA. I hate the rear facing lockoffs on the TF (fought with them for about half an hour). The EFTA installs pretty nicely, nothing tricky.

I'm not thinking of any other good options. The Boulevard has a no-rethread harness, but those knobs take forever to turn if you're making a big adjustment, and also no guarantees that it would fit the 2 month old or even the 12 month old.

FrogJuice

I was leaning more torwards the efta then tf, but have no experience with either.

I used to have a boulevard, it has actually made me anti britax, I had no love for it at all.

Pixels

If you were leaning toward the TrueFit, try it out in your car. YMMV. I would rather install a Radian over another (rear facing, haven't tried forward) TrueFit any day. Those dangum lockoffs.

solmama

I haven't had any problems installing our TF, and prefer it over the EFTA. If it weren't for the harness adjuster (hard to loosen, gets buried in the seat) and the red tabs at the top of the harness itself, the EFTA would get the nod. I actually like the lockoffs on the TF.

We returned our EFTA because the red tabs hurt my ds' neck. But, if it's for a daycare kid, s/he might not be riding in it long enough for it to hurt.

FrogJuice

I forgot about the adjuster getting buried on the TF when RF. That might make things a bit difficult. I think I Might look around and see what kind of deals I can find and price might be the deciding factor on which one I choose.

arly1983

For switching between FFing and RFing, the EFTA no question.

It it were going to be for kiddos all facing the same way, the TF.

I only like the TF better because of the lower profile and wider inside (fit better range of kids). We all love my mom's EFTA. Switchs between 4 grandkids at the moment. I also own a TF.

ETA: diaper.com has the EFTA for 124.98. [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Evenflo-Triumph-Advance-Convertible-Seat/dp/B000YZD0QM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1255451628&sr=8-1"]Amazon[/ame] has it for $119.60 so you can do a price match with diapers.com. With the code "everything10" to bring it to $107.64.

kittykate

I also prefer the TF over the EFTA. I think the TF is easier to install and since it has a taller shell and a 65lb forward facing weight limit (vs the EFTA's 50lb limit) it will fit a greater variety of children.

We honestly didn't love the EFTA in our cars. It was hard to install, impossible to adjust rear facing and the red tabs left welts/irritation on my son's neck. :twocents:

FrogJuice

know I'm back to not knowing what to do.

ok, so I guess I like the fact the TF will last longer, so fit a wider variety of kids.
I don't like how it will be difficult to adjust when installed RF.

I don't know how much of a problem I will have with the EFTA causing redness from the red tabs on a child, since it will only be an extra seat, and the way it looks I can find the EFTA cheaper then the TF.

It's really too bad the TFP isn't lower in price, I would most likely just get a TFP.

Here is a question, which one is easier to adjust the height of harness, and fits little babies the best?

Pixels

They're both SUPER easy to adjust. I guess the EFTA is easier. TF, you grab a knob on each side of the back, pull out, move up or down and then it clicks into position. Adjust how the harness comes through the cover (and insert(s) if you are using them). EFTA, just grab the harness and move it. Done.

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
If all the kids are going to be rfing then go with the tf for the shell height...

We just moved ds from an EFTA to a TFP... If it were a choice between a regular TF and and EFTA, I'd pick the EFTA hands down. The rebound bar makes the adjuster accessible in the front, without you'd be digging. We just put the TFP in last night. I haven't checked it out yet, but a CPST friend told me that you don't have to unsnap the cover to undo the lockoffs, she said there are slits there. :confused: I'll go look and update. When I went to tighten the harness on ds I just pulled the slack from the harness straps from the back and pulled the strap in the front once I'd gotten it tight enough. No big deal, but I did love my EFTA knobs. The TFP seems to have fewer choices on the harness height and you'd have to pull the handles on both sides to adjust where with the EFTA you just move them. That always worried me a little if we were in a rollover so I was just super protective of the straps being too tight for anything to give and/or happen. I noticed today that when ds was outboard in the EFTA I couldn't see him at all. If we were stopped and I was trying to hand him his cup or something all I could ever see was his hand sticking out, but with the TFP I can see more of him. It still seems to have good wings for SIP. I also love the two recline options for the rfing as well as the new latch hooks and the loop on the end of the tether makes it easy to get a good grip to pull out the slack.

FrogJuice

Sounds like the TFP is the one to go with, but the price range is just not what I'm looking to spend for an extra seat.

Does the knobs on the EFTA make loosening and tightening the harness more difficult?

That is starting to worry me a little, if I decided to go with the EFTA, but I guess it might beat the TF adjuster being hard to reach when RF.

So I'm thinking, when RF the straps have to be at or below, so if I just got a seat with slots, instead and placed the slots in best position for the smallest kid, would it be okay to use the seat for another child? If that makes sense.

I have the KF30 for the 2mo so I can just buckle that up for him if hes the only one I have, and I very rarely have the 12mo and when I do its only a few hours so I don't really go many places. But with the 15mo and the 18mo, who are very much the same size, they would be using the seat the most, and maybe only really the 15mo since I have him the most.

This seat would only be used when my own children are in school, and I only have one day care kid. I have other seats I use on a normal basis, that are set up to get everyone in. Just looking for something extra to use when DD2 goes with others, and When I have running around to do, with just one daycare kid.

So with this situation would you recommend something other then the EFTA or TF?

This seat would be used pretty much every Monday for the 15mo, and to think about it T and S's mom is going back to work next week so I will start then to have the 18mo and the 2mo at the sametime so I really wouldn't use it that often for either of them. It would then be used for DD2 as an extra til she outgrew it and I just get a booster as an extra, and on a very rare occasion possibly the 12mo.

Spam

The tf and efta were both easy to install, and I haven't had any problems with the lockoffs on either model. Depending on how your captains chairs are molded, you may not have a problem reaching or the adjuster and if possible recline the seatback a click (if that's allowed, can't remember). I have no problem reaching the adjuster on the tf in my mom's t&c because of the way the seats mold in. In my car, it was buried and we the tfp there now. The efta knobs were also so buried in my car it made it difficult to adjust. Try them both?? Can't think of anything else that is as easy to quickly change harness heights.

Mommy2Marcus

I am going to vote for the EFTA! I hated the TF for RF & I didn't like it much better for FF. Right now it is waiting for my friend to come get it for her 3 year old that is in a Scenera. Yes he still fits with room to grow, she just HATES the Scenera with a passion.

I have nothing but absolute :love: for my EFTA! It is seriously my most favorite seat, even over my MA! So I would vote for it in a heartbeat. It has been nothing but easy for me to install & use. It is also my DH's favorite of all the seats we have owned. He likes it so much better than the TF & can actually get it right.

FrogJuice

Okay I have decided to just go with the EFTA, seems to be easy to install, will be real quick to change harness height, and won't have to worry about the adjuster being to far down into the seat.

I'm not real worried about having a tall shell as I only plan to RF the daycare kids to age 2, since the parents already have them currently FF.

Plus I seem to find it cheaper then the TF.

Thank you all for you help in the decision.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I much prefer the TF over the EFTA. We don't have a problem accessing our adjuster. It's easy to switch RF to FF (if I had to switch alot I'd use LATCH RF and seatbelt FF so you don't have to switch the LATCH belt around).

The EFTA is ok, but it's massive and WAY too wide for my 3 mo, and is even to wide for my 2.5 year old.

Wineaux

What were you guys doing wrong when installing a RF TF to have issues with the lockoffs? I own one, and just reinstalled it in my DW's Jeep Grand Cherokee in less than 3 minutes. I walked back in the house after installing it and she started getting on my case to go out and install it. I told her it was already done, and she just looked shocked.

/shrug

You just thread it through, snap the seatbelt buckle in, push down on the seat, pull the seatbelt tight, lock the lockoff closest to the seatbelt buckle, and then lock the other lockoff. Rock solid on the first try. It's not rocket science...

Oh, and I'd pick a TF over an EFTA any day of the week.

Pixels

I don't know, want to come over and show me? The seatbelt was getting in the way of closing the lockoff. The part that you rotate over the top of the lockoff to hold it, it kept diving underneath the lockoff instead. It was a huge fight to get it done.

FrogJuice

You guys aren't helping me any, now I want to go with the TF.

Becky (mustangmama) how does a trip down to kids stuff superstore sound?

We can try the trufit in the van and see how it fits.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC