The wreck we saw... Could have been worse.

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
Dh and I were leaving from picking up our Explorer from the shop. (I am just getting it back after my wreck 3 weeks ago. I also was on my way home to open up the True Fit Premier that arrived while we were gone. :love: ) We turned off a side street onto a main road and both noticed a preschooler sized kiddo bouncing around in the back seat of an F150 with the hidden 4 doors and bench seat. I commented on how sad it was too see that. As we approached the next stop the worst thing happened, the light turned yellow, dh slowed down, it was red and we were stopped, the truck didn't. She was traveling every bit of 40mph in the rain and never hit her brakes before she plowed into a Ranger. Dh immediately put it in park, hit the flashers and ran. The woman was pushing and he pried the door open and she ran from the car with the kid. I was shocked to see that he was just really shaken up, but ok. Dh said he ended up in the floor of the front seats.

Another woman was getting into her car in the parking lot at the corner just north of the accident and saw the kid fly to the front of the cab. She and I were both wondering if there was even a booster seat in the vehicle. The child wasn't big enough to have been boostered yet, he couldn't have weighed more than 40lbs, and I'd say he was less than 35lbs. He was only 3.

The cop that worked the scene was the same LT that worked my wreck and remembered dh... and of course the pregnant woman that got rearended at 45mph and sent into labor 3 weeks before.

On a side note, the other lady that watched the wreck was talking to me about carseats and mentioned that she'd just turned her 18 month old dd around to ff in a Marathon. I told her about erfing and about how ds would have been hurt in my wreck had he not been... She agreed that she'd be turning her dd back around.

ADS

Mommy2Marcus

WOW! Scary! Glad the kid was okay. It could have been much worse & it is a miracle that it wasn't! Also glad that the other lady is turning her DD back RF.

jess71903

Ambassador
Oh, wow! I am so glad the little boy is okay! Hopefully she'll get him restrained after this!

Yay for you talking to the other by-stander! Something like a wreck happening before your face probably makes you think about it more than if some random person told you about ERF in Target or something.

twinsmom

Oh my God. That story could have had a terrible ending. I'm glad the boy was ok. Hopefully this will scare some sense into the mom. What is the penalty to the mom for having him unrestrained?

susanx4

wow they are so lucky nothing terrible happened! did she get a ticket or anything for him not being in a seat??!

btw am jealous you have your car back after only 3 weeks!!! its has been 7 weeks and 3 days and my van MIGHT be done today or tomorrow... we hit a deer at 50 mph....

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
wow they are so lucky nothing terrible happened! did she get a ticket or anything for him not being in a seat??!

btw am jealous you have your car back after only 3 weeks!!! its has been 7 weeks and 3 days and my van MIGHT be done today or tomorrow... we hit a deer at 50 mph....

She was getting a ticket for the wreck, running the redlight, too fast for conditions (it was raining) and for the lack of restraint.

If I'm not mistaken, I was told that here in Arkansas the rule is 6yrs AND 60lbs to be out of a restraint.

Jonah Baby

Scary stuff.

Glad the kid didn't hit the windshield.

I also hope the mother gets a bigger penalty than a ticket for endangering her child so. Any chance mind altering substances came in to play? Doesn't sound like she was driving that safely....

I feel very good about my parenting at the moment!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC