Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Canadian regulations for car seat replacement post accident

We were rear-ended today. Our car is drivable, the damage is only to the back bumper. No apparent injuries, but I know the whiplash may still appear. However, the other car was not drivable (smashed the radiator), so is that an indication of "severity"? We were stopped when they hit us (they were braking, so I'm not sure how fast they were going).

Is there a regulation in Canada that the car seats need to be replaced, regardless of the severity of the accident? Since today is a holiday, we only got the call centre at our insurance company, so I'm not sure how that is all going to go.

It seems a shame to toss the seats after a minor accident, but at the same time, I don't want to compromise the safety of my children.

The car seats in question are a Graco SafeSeat (spring of 2006) and a Britax Marathon (fall of 2007). The ironic thing is that we were on our way to the mall to look at getting my DD a new carseat b/c my DS is almost out of his SafeSeat!!

Thanks!!

Lisa =)

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Moderator - CPST Instructor

Re: Canadian regulations for car seat replacement post accident

There isn't a law to stipulate a carseat in a collision must be replaced. However, to err on the cautious side because damages are not always detectable by the 'naked' eye, we say to replace carseats post collision.

In addition, I often tell parents to double check by contacting the manufacturers themselves for recommendations/policies in writing if possible, just in case the insurance companies might give them some hassle about to replace/reimburse or not.

Btw, glad nobydy got hurt.
    Tam
    Certified Canadian CRS Technician-Instructor

DD#1, Aug 1999
    DS, May 2001
    DD#2, Aug 2007

Moderator - CPST Instructor QuassEE's Avatar

If you can, save the cover from your Marathon as a spare

-Nicole.

Abbi (9, Ozzi/Olli), Aiden (11, Affix), Mason (16), & Kyle (18) in '02 Protege5 & '11 Ody TE.
    It's like free money...Couponsurfers.com

Are you in BC? Because I'm dealing with ICBC on a similar issue. If there is no structural damage to the vehicle and it is considered "cosmetic", then they won't replace the seats. I showed them the Britax criteria (b/c I'm injured and no injuries is one of their criteria) and they didn't care.
    Melissa

DD#1, April 2004, FFg in a Pink Harmony Literider & Onyx Parkway SG
    DD#2, January 2007, FFg in a Pink Monterey & Purple with Pink Hearts HBTB

Riding in my 2010 Toyota RAV4 and DH's 2011 Ford 150 Crew Cab

Moderator - CPST Instructor QuassEE's Avatar

I've heard some ICBC horror stories this past few weeks, with regards to carseat replacement. Did you try asking them for a letter accepting full responsibility for any future failure of the seats?

-Nicole.

Abbi (9, Ozzi/Olli), Aiden (11, Affix), Mason (16), & Kyle (18) in '02 Protege5 & '11 Ody TE.
    It's like free money...Couponsurfers.com

On my to do list. Which in regards to my claim is growing longer by the minute.
    Melissa

DD#1, April 2004, FFg in a Pink Harmony Literider & Onyx Parkway SG
    DD#2, January 2007, FFg in a Pink Monterey & Purple with Pink Hearts HBTB

Riding in my 2010 Toyota RAV4 and DH's 2011 Ford 150 Crew Cab

My FIL had no problems with MPI. Someone backed into his truck in a parking lot. He had a Clek Olli sitting on the passenger seat (not LATCHed and not occupied). He didn't say anything about the booster, but MPI asked him if he was going to replace it. He wasn't going to, but I convinced him to.

Heather ~ CRST ~ mom to...
    S ~ Harmony nbb, K ~ Parkway SG
    M ~ Radian XTSL, S ~ Fllo
    T ~ June 4, 2016 ~ Boulevard G4.1

No, I'm not in BC. I'm in Calgary. There is plenty of damage to our car, so hopefully it won't be an issue. The other car was undrivable (radiator spewed it's contents immediately).

I'll definitely be keeping the Marathon cover!!

Lisa =)

You shouldn't have a problem at all.

I'm in Edmonton and had no problems at all replacing our britax's last month. We were in a relatively minor accident - both vehicles were driveable (we actually had to drive home from Calgary with only have our bumper skin on) - and when I said to the insurance guy that my seats needed to be replaced he didn't hesitate at.all. Told me to go buy them, submit the reciept and he'd cut me a cheque.
    DS(7) 54lbs, 50" in a Parkway SG & Monterey
    DS(5.5) 50lbs, 45" mainly harnessed in a Nautilus & sometimes cruising in a Parkway SG

DD (17m) in a RF'ing Paisley BLVD & occasionally a MyRide65

We had a minor accident in Calgary ad had no problem what so ever replacing our 3 seats. Just told the guy that Transport Canada recommends replacing all seats no matter how minor the accident. He was great. Replaced a Frontier and 2 Eddie Baurer booster/carseats with 3 Graco Nautilus. Got just enough to cover the 3 new seats so it was perfect. I didn't have any of the receipts from the old seats so the guy told me to print out 3 to 5 online Canadian ads for the same or similar seats and bring them in with the seats. That was a bit irritating when I started looking as I know we paid $200 for the Eddie Baurer seats 3 years ago and they are so much cheaper now, but it was easy with the Britax. He also said he could do the research for me, but I knew what I was looking for and where to look so I was fine with it.
    Marcie, mommy to:
    Michaelyn Sept 2003, Avery Sept 17 2005,
    Noah Sept 2005, Eden Dec 4th 2009, and Emme Dec 9th 2011

Rhenderson

FYI for those still wondering this is a letter I received from Transport Canada

The Canadian Motor Vehicle Safety Act prescribes the requirements for new restraint systems and not the restraining devices used in a car after a collision.

Not all crashes lead to the deterioration of a child restraint system. However, no one wants to be responsible for assessing the severity of a collision and examining the child restraint system to determine if it is safe enough to continue to be used (largely for reasons of liability).  An expert in the field would have to examine the vehicle and the child restraint system, make a decision and be prepared to document it, especially in cases where there was another collision.

A child restraint system in a car during a minor collision may not need to be replaced.  However, replacing a child restraint system with a new device eliminates the possibility of a damaged seat that does not work well in the event of another collision.

Transport Canada is aware that the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has a position regarding the re-use of child restraint systems and booster seats following a minor collision.

It should be noted, however, that Transport Canada still recommends replacing a child restraint system or booster seat, whether occupied or not, if installed in a car that was involved in a collision.

Transport Canada continues to recommend the replacement of child restraint systems and booster seats, even after a minor collision, for two main reasons.  First, we believe that our recommendation leaves less room for subjectivity.  Secondly, we also feel it is important that our recommendation corresponds to that of the manufacturers.  Please note that the vast majority of manufacturers indicate in the instruction manuals of their products that child restraint systems and booster seats must be replaced after any collision.  In doing so, these manufacturers will not be liable for any future defects.

Thank you,

Information Centre/Centre d'information
    Transport(s) Canada
    Motor Vehicle Safety/Sécurité des véhicules automobiles
    1-800-333-0371 or (613) 998-8616
    MVS-SA@tc.gc.ca