Question kinda freaking about seat for tall son.

Zabs

hi yall! I lurk lots but haven't posted in forever. I made a sad discovery in my rear view mirror the other day. My 2 year old (he turns 3 in November) is at the max height for his FPSVD. Yes, you read that right.

Stats:
weight: 38 lbs
torso height: 16"
overall height: 42"

I really truly thought I was going to get to use this seat well into age 4. I have zero budget for a new seat. Obviously, I'll make it happen, but I am not happy about this.

He has a brother who is 13 months behind him and who is on the same height growth curve (only chunkier) so I'll be doing this again next year.

What should I get? Is a Nautilus the best choice? No way I am scraping together cash for a Britax given how fast these two grow. I guess I just need to figure out what has the best torso height for a 5 pt harness that isn't a britax.

I'm in a Mazda tribute and its just the two of them, so space isn't an issue.

Thanks for any help yall can give me. I'm off to search the boards more for suggestions. I just really haven't been reading up on this since I thought I had a while before I had to worry about it.

ADS

Heather86

A Nautilus would definitely work. At that growth rate though and with a child to pass it down to have you considered a regent ? They are on sale for $169 and can be gotten cheaper with free shipping and a coupon. So you could probably get one for about the same price as a Nautilus and it would last a little longer :twocents:

I'm sure someone who knows more will chime in soon :thumbsup:

Mommy0608

Hipmonkey has Regents on sale for $164 and then there's a discount for $30... check the shopping/deals thread for the details (sorry, I don't remember the specifics).

If you don't want to go for the Regent, the Nautilus would be a good consideration.

MoreLatte

I agree, Regent or Nautilus. The Regent would probably give you the most growing room, it is a nice roomy seat. The Nauti is a little narrow in the shoulder area for some kids. My DD has no problem, but she's a peanut.

Zabs

I did not realize that regents were that cheap. I just assumed...hum...

Did I read that they are being discontinued? Are they still in stores?

Off to research.

And what kind of torso height difference is there between the Nautilus and the regent? I couldn't seem to figure out the torso height on the Nautilus... I mean since the Nautilus converts, isn't it a better choice in terms longevity?

Thanks Heather.

Zabs

ooh narrow in the shoulders is not good. That has kept us out of seats in the past.

I guess its time to look at a regent...maybe two if they are going to stop making them...

MoreLatte

I did not realize that regents were that cheap. I just assumed...hum...

Did I read that they are being discontinued? Are they still in stores?

Off to research.

And what kind of torso height difference is there between the Nautilus and the regent? I couldn't seem to figure out the torso height on the Nautilus... I mean since the Nautilus converts, isn't it a better choice in terms longevity?

Thanks Heather.

I believe the top slots on the Nauti are 18.5" and Regent is 19". And yes, the Nautilus does convert to a highback and backless booster but it isn't always a great fit according to most. I've never tried my DD in hers as a booster.

I would suggest that you try your DS in both. It may be hard to find a Regent in-store but I know Target and BRU carry the Nautilus. Some on-line stores offer return shipping insurance, so that may be an option to try out a Regent.

U

Unregistered1

If it will fit in your car, at that price, I'd go with the regent. That's a tall kid, you might need the extra height.

Mommy0608

With a kiddo that tall, your first and foremost consideration is harness longevity. I'm not saying we need to harness 10 year olds, but if he's got that long of a torso then you might want to go with the highest slots available. By the time he outgrows this and needs a booster, there may be many other great booster choices out there. You'll have a few years yet before you need to worry about a booster. ;)

Zabs

I do understand what yall are saying about a booster and I agree.

So, if Regents are on the way out, do I buy two, knowing that I am going to deal with this same thing soon enough for DS2? He's already using the top harness slot on the FPSVD now and he's not even 2 yet (turns in December).

Or do I assume that there will be a better product out next year for him???

grrrrr. I went through the same thing when they were discontinuing their FPSVD. Why does Britax always discontinue seats right before I need them?
:mad:

Thanks again for your help.

skipspin

If you get a Regent now, you could get a Nautilus when #2 outgrows his PFseat. Then you'd have the #1 in the Regent and could switch him into the Nautilus as a booster when he outgrows the Regent and give #2 the Regent. Well, unless you like matching seats.

Zabs

If you get a Regent now, you could get a Nautilus when #2 outgrows his PFseat. Then you'd have the #1 in the Regent and could switch him into the Nautilus as a booster when he outgrows the Regent and give #2 the Regent. Well, unless you like matching seats.

hehe I wish I could afford to care about matching! I just keep hoping that they will slow down! DS2 has a significantly longer torso than DS1 so I know that probably won't make it even as long as DS1 has in the FPSVD. I never thought I would be flying through car seats so quickly.

Shaunam

Normally I think the regent is overkill but I'd have to say, probably not in your case. Especially with the broad shoulders. Not to mention my kid is 2 years older than yours, average/tall for his age and the same size as yours. :eek:

If those were my kids, I'd be getting 2 regents, considering the price is so low right now. I'm sure frontiers would work fine too, but they are pricier.

Zabs

I agree about getting 2 Regents. How much does your 2y/o weight?

DS1 will turn 3 on 11/10 he weighs 38 lbs
DS2 will turn 2 on 12/7 he weighs 36 lbs

I just weighed both of them on a good scale a few times last week and I got those as the averages. I've been keeping an eye on DS1 since I know I will have to stop using latch soon. DS2 hit 35lbs at 20 months and yes, I was crushed to have to turn him. He was much happier RF, esp since he has shorter legs.

I'm going to check and see if I have a pic of them in their seats on this computer. If not I'll take one tomorrow.

Last edited:

Mommy2Marcus

I agree with the others. With not even being 3 yet & having a 16 inch torso, then I would go for the Regent. If your other son is about the same, then I would go ahead & get 2 of them. I think that that would be your best bet.

My son just turned 3 & has a barely 14 inch torso, so I can not imgine having a child with such a long torso. Good Luck! I hope you can find a good deal on two of them. I would also LOVE to see pictures of them in their seats!

myliljunebugs

I would at minimum get one Regent, possibly 2 if you can swing it. It really is the best deal for the harness length, especially for your little big guys!

disbugsmomma

This is way beside the point, but the FPSVD has a 33lb rf limit. :whistle: But yeah, I would get two Regents now, those are some big kids! I have a peanut and I would love to get one at that price, but dh said no more harnessed seats for dd. :rolleyes: :whistle:

canadiangie

DD1 will turn 3 on 11/10 he weighs 38 lbs
DD2 will turn 2 on 12/7 he weighs 36 lbs

I just weighed both of them on a good scale a few times last week and I got those as the averages. I've been keeping an eye on DD1 since I know I will have to stop using latch soon. DD2 hit 35lbs at 20 months and yes, I was crushed to have to turn him. He was much happier RF, esp since he has shorter legs.

I'm going to check and see if I have a pic of them in their seats on this computer. If not I'll take one tomorrow.

Just curious, do you have DS's or DD's (dear son or dear daughter)?? You siggie says boys, but you list them as dd's. :p

henrietta

There are Britax Regents for sale on line for around $165.

That is what I would do. Your kiddos will barely make it to age 4 in the Graco Nautilus harness if they continue to grow this way.

My nephew outgrew the FPSVD last year right at 3 yrs old and the same size. The same nephew went into a Nautilus and right now has 1/4" in the GN's harness and was complaining that the crotch strap hurt, so my sil switched it to a booster last week. He just turned 4 two weeks ago.

GL!

henrietta

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC