OMG - I think I'm totally traumatized now !!

Lea_Ontario

I gave a friend of mine one of my "spare" seats for her daughter today, and even went and installed it for her (I know, I know - I'm not a tech)

Well - the seat that was being replaced had a manufacture date of 1994 !! It looked like an Evenflo Champion.

I gave her our Regal Ride (it expired December of this year).

Now - a WWYD

You know that the current seat (13 years old) is being used for a child who is much too big for it (about 35lbs), and is installed FF, in a vehicle with no tether anchors (older van). Top tethers are required in Canada.

Replacing the seat is a MUST.

The parents won't get a tether bolt installed (mom is working on dad to get it done, but it hasn't been yet, in over a year of nagging them ;) ).

Do you leave the replacement seat untethered ? Or do you wing it (and if so - how ?)

I'll tell you all what I did if you promise not to boot me off the board :eek:

ADS

scatterbunny

It's a van...is the carseat in the middle row? I'd put it there and tether it to a seatbelt in the third row. Perfectly acceptable, and covered in the LATCH manual. :)

Your Regal Ride is way newer and better than what they have been using, so that's good for now...but I'd tell them to get an Evenflo or Graco combo seat...whichever is cheapest if finances are tight.

mominabigtruck

Hmmm, well if you weren't in canada I would say it wasn't such a big deal because I thought you only had to use tethers above a certain weight. Could you tether it to something on the floor, like the bolts for the back seat. Yeah I know that's not what they're they for but sometimes you have to work with what you have.

Lea_Ontario

Oh no - complete refusal to buy a new seat. I've been trying for a LONG time to convince them it was 100% necessary - and I didn't know just HOW old their seat was.

scatterbunny

Ugh. :( It totally sucks dealing with people like that. I'm sure you talked their ears off about how he needs to be harnesed to a full 40 pounds, etc. etc.

I would feel that a (recently) expired Regal Ride tethered to a seatbelt is much safer than what he was in before. And sometimes that's all we can hope for--that people will make a safER choice when given the means and info.

Lea_Ontario

I took the D-ring from our Britax (since it's not in use) and basically created a tether point from the seat bolts on the floor and used that.

She'd had the tether just hooked to the bottom of the seat with the older seat.

I *know* that isn't right - but it has taken MONTHS to get her to accept the new seat from me as is, I wasn't going to get into much else or I felt I'd be risking losing a friend.

scatterbunny

I have heard that the D-ring is not strong enough to do that; it is only meant for a RF seat. :(

Can they not use a third row seatbelt? That's how my seat is tethered and it's so easy to do, and so strong. I feel it's better than even a factory-installed anchor. We know seatbelts are designed to hold back a 300+ pound person's weight in a crash.

Lea_Ontario

I don't know - I didn't think of it while I was there. I'll mention it next time I see her though I'm sure it will be a no-go as that would take out use of the third-row seat.

cantech

Kashi,

Have you played the "It's illegal card" yet? According to Ontario legislation she's required to be harnessed in a tethered seat to 40 lbs. Fine: $90 + $20 victim surcharge + 2 demerits. Sometimes you just can't talk sense :( into people but when you tell them it's illegal they just might pay attention.

And as the other posters have mentioned tethering to the seatbelt is an acceptable temporary fix.

Belinda

Wineaux

Do you have a friend in the Police Department? If so, have them stop your friends on purpose, read them the riot act, and then write them a warning telling them to replace the seat ASAP or face a fine. Sometimes fear is a great motivator. Besides, they'll never know you set them up...

Lea_Ontario

Would showing them a video of a seat failing in a crash help?

It hasn't yet. I've sent them the Kyle video, and the 10-yr old Britax seat video.

Kashi,

Have you played the "It's illegal card" yet? According to Ontario legislation she's required to be harnessed in a tethered seat to 40 lbs. Fine: $90 + $20 victim surcharge + 2 demerits. Sometimes you just can't talk sense :( into people but when you tell them it's illegal they just might pay attention.

And as the other posters have mentioned tethering to the seatbelt is an acceptable temporary fix.

Belinda

Hasn't helped yet either. I didn't know about the $20 surcharge and for some reason thought it was 3 points. It's been mentioned many times.

Do you have a friend in the Police Department? If so, have them stop your friends on purpose, read them the riot act, and then write them a warning telling them to replace the seat ASAP or face a fine. Sometimes fear is a great motivator. Besides, they'll never know you set them up...

I don't know any of the local officers, in my city or in hers.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Honestly, at this point, the next time you see them in person with the child in carseat, I would secretly/anonymously call the police.... It just seems you've done everything YOU can & their child needs SOMEONE to drill some sense into them :(

Lea_Ontario

Honestly, at this point, the next time you see them in person with the child in carseat, I would secretly/anonymously call the police.... It just seems you've done everything YOU can & their child needs SOMEONE to drill some sense into them :(

Actually, I have NEVER seen her kids in this van - not once in the 3-ish years I've known them. I know that they *do* use it on occasion, but mostly they walk or take the bus, as her hubby uses the van to go to and from work and it's their only vehicle.

cantech

Kashi,

Seems you've done all you can to help them! You've given them the info it's up to them what they choose to do with it! Now it' time to pray that they're never in a serious crash.

HTH

Belinda

Lea_Ontario

Kashi,

Seems you've done all you can to help them! You've given them the info it's up to them what they choose to do with it! Now it' time to pray that they're never in a serious crash.

HTH

Belinda

I've been doing that since I realized that her youngest child's seat HAD to be expired *sigh*

Hard to see someone you care about take such a preventable risk though.

I'm just glad that she finally took the other seat. At least it's not expired, right ?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC