Question A Concern DH and I are battling.

We both are wanting the best safety for our DD, just as any parent would. I would like to keep DD RF for the amount of time as our Evenflo Triumph Advance allow 30??? pounds. Yes DH expresses concerns with DD legs. I have read to him my past posts and the responses along with the information about leg room.

It seems like we go through this every time weight is mentioned. LOL. I understand his concerns I believe them to be warranted, safety will always comes first and I will always take his concerns into consideration.

Now he would like to go to our local police station and see if our seat is installed properly, but I worry that they may not have an updated concept of ERF. I am afraid they will give the ok to FF DD.

I was wondering how much would a technician charge to look at our seat installation and see if DD can continue to sit RF. I think this would be the best way to ease both of our concerns.

BTW: DD is 2 (and almost a half), last weigh in she was 22 pounds 10 ounces (about approx 3 months ago). I am not sure about her height but I do know that there is more then enough room above her head to remain RF. We drive a 2006 Ford Escape. We live in Brampton, ON

TIA for any information.

ADS

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Actually, the OPP and Peel Regional officers in your area are well trained and up to date. It's probably the only place in the whole country that can be said for :) I would recommend either getting into contact with SJA Mississauga directly, or arranging something with one of the handful of techs here who are in the Toronto area. If you do want to go the police route, let me know and I'll give you some contact information.

-Nicole.

Evolily

If you go see someone at the police station (or fire station, or hospital, etc) to check your install you should make sure they are CPST's- a lot of police officers and firemen will gladly help you install the seat, but if they aren't certified technicians it's no better than asking any other person on the street to help. If they are CPST's, they should be up to date on current guidelines advocating RFing well past 1 and 20, and stating that leg room is not a safety concern.

Thanks for your posts, I am truly sorry about thinking Police station would not be the route to go. I am sry if I offended another with my ignorance.

What IYPO would be best for something we need? Police station or SJA?

We would need someone who could take time for questions and to help us better install, maybe watch us?

How much would this be roughly?

QuassEE

Usually the police station isn't the greatest place to go, but in your area that's really not the case. I'd never send anyone to the police station here in Vancouver--not that we have any techs on staff here, anyways! :) Nobody's offended.

I'd go with someone here, personally. I'm sure the Toronto-area techs will post here tomorrow. Some people charge, others don't. Regardless, I think the highest anyone charges is around $30. They'll take as long as you need to get it right, and answer all of your questions. Usually it takes about 30 minutes, but can sometimes go up to an hour if you need more assistance.

-Nicole.

That is great! I will wait for tomorrow or when a tech is online and writes back. Again thank your for all your help so late in the evening or early in the morning LOL.

hipmaman

Hi,

Just want to say that I have read this thread and plan to respond a bit later (after Thanksgiving dinner and the kids gone to bed tonight) :)

Will your dh feel alright coming to a carseat clinic with certified technicians and instructors or does it have to be a police officer with a certification in carseat safety (that we trained :) )?

In addition, are you alright coming to Mississauga or does it have to be in Brampton? I know Peel Police serves both cities, but the SJA offices are separately and I don't know the techs in Brampton these days to say for sure that they would advocate ERF while I know in Mississauga, we do.

Btw, these services (carseat clinics) are free by SJA. Police stations might not have time or want to take individual cases unless it's something they do have to step in to give us a hand. However the clinics might mean getting yourself on a waiting list. I don't personally have time to volunteer at clinics these days but in emergency cases, I do see people in my driveway. If this is the case, you just have to not sue me :)

NewfieMoma

That is great! I will wait for tomorrow or when a tech is online and writes back. Again thank your for all your help so late in the evening or early in the morning LOL.

Hello, I am a tech here in Brampton, and SJA has a clinic on Friday from 10-3. I will be theer as well as 3 Sr. Techs. If you wanted to come on Friday that would be great we don't have many appointments these days :( I am one of the few techs in BRampton to advocate RF to the full extent of the seat... a couple will advocate ERF till the following spring if the 22lb limit of an infant seat is reached in the late fall/early winter.

I do not believe that many of teh Peel police officers here in Brampton know very much about seat safety, as my FIL is a officer and he as well as many of his co workers think I am a nutter for keeping Chelsea RF AND for INSISTING on the use of a Booster when we drive DH's 6YO around, so I don't know if its just cause they were parents back in the day or what but many of them have the same attitude, IMHO

Let me know if you want to come in :)

hipmaman

If Rochelle in Brampton is more convenient, please connect with her. If you need more help or help elsewhere, let us know.

Rochelle, we in Mississauga train quite a lot of OPP and Peel Police. The one time (in Feb 2009) that Trudy, Nicole and I did our instructor certification, the class was more than half full with OPP and Peel Police. They were a nice lot and quite impressed Nicole :)

QuassEE

...the class was more than half full with OPP and Peel Police. They were a nice lot and quite impressed Nicole :)

That's her way of saying that some of them were HOT.

We had two Peel officers in there, who were WONDERFUL. One is extremely passionate about child passenger safety, above and beyond being a portion of her job responsibilities. I'd like to think she was pretty representative of her profession in that regard :)

I was actually nervous about having uniformed officers at our check, because here in Vancouver if there were uniformed officers at a check NOBODY would come in for fear of a ticket!

-Nicole.

Thank you for posting I will give information to DH about the above, I am sorry I could not make it online DD is teething... All I have to say is one eye tooth and a 2 year - Same Time!

The Friday Clinic, was that this past Friday? I would not mind being but on a waiting list, as long as DH and I are guaranteed to get the proper information about ERF along with having the time to ask questions.

DH seems the think that the reason Europe has ERF is because their cars are smaller and can't take up the force of the crash, where ours are bigger and can... I personally don't think there is a different in the size of the car, I don't want DD to be flopping around like that in a crash in any case!

Evolily

Europe has the same cars that we have (perhaps they have a tendency to buy fewer SUV's, but still), but has fewer larger vehicles on the highways. Those larger vehicles (semis, etc) pose a big risk to drivers.

NewfieMoma

Thank you for posting I will give information to DH about the above, I am sorry I could not make it online DD is teething... All I have to say is one eye tooth and a 2 year - Same Time!

The Friday Clinic, was that this past Friday? I would not mind being but on a waiting list, as long as DH and I are guaranteed to get the proper information about ERF along with having the time to ask questions.

DH seems the think that the reason Europe has ERF is because their cars are smaller and can't take up the force of the crash, where ours are bigger and can... I personally don't think there is a different in the size of the car, I don't want DD to be flopping around like that in a crash in any case!

We have one this Friday too, its from 10-3.
Give us a shout 905-459-2440, Let Nancy KNow that Rochelle sent you :):thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC