Grrrr....So we tried her FF

menfusse

She'll be 4 next month, and we've (dh, myself and my dd) have talked about her going FF at 4 despite her size. She "really, really, really" wanted to face the front. I know, because I've heard it EVERY.SINGLE.DAY for the last two months. So, I was playing musical carseats and seating positions when we were going to have extra adult passengers. I figured, while I was at it I'd try it FF. She was so flippin' excited and we cruised around and as always without fail, she fell asleep.

This is the result.
01-10-09_1605.jpg

The RN is installed with the recline foot down, and the seat back is reclined some as well. The RN is definitely not what I would call reclined exactly, but it's also not straight up and down. She woke up so miserable and crabby. I know it doesn't bug some kids, but she HATES it. She really needs more support I guess. I thought with the wings and by looking at it slightly reclined she'd be fine.

This has pretty much cinched for me, we need a MR or a CozyCline. We are on the road for long trips way too much. She's back RF for now.

At her size, the CozyCline would be fine for a long time, BUT...I think I would like to have the option to RF so I'm leaning toward the MR. It's got a decent FF recline, right?

Ugh...I do so love the RN..really I do. I just can't see it working for us FF. The head slump is bad for us, and I've mentioned before that I'm worried that once she does hit 30lbs, that the outermost crotch buckle position will cause it to angle inward, and that's not going to work for my dd either. She needs the inner most right now, and I just can't imagine 4-5 more lbs will really make her fill out that much space. Especially considering, she's in a cloth diaper now, albeit a trim one...but if we ever manage to leave the house in undies, that's even less booty to fill it out.

But, the only way for me to get a new seat is to sell this seat, which I don't want to deal with. Nobody locally has any desire to have more than a scenera or one of those cosco harnessed to booster seats. The idea of shipping a radian nauseates me.

Sorry...I guess this was more of a rant than anything. If it needs to be moved...feel free.

ADS

arly1983

The idea of shipping a radian nauseates me.

Why? As long as you still have the box or could find a box that shape you have it made. It is the cheapest and easiest seat to ship in my very extensive experience.

Now a Signo is a different story.:whistle:

BookMama

Senior Community Member
I think I would like to have the option to RF so I'm leaning toward the MR. It's got a decent FF recline, right?

Um, yeah. :p In the picture below, I had worked hard to get the My Ride upright, and this was as upright as I could get it (even with the very compressible seats in our Focus).

MiRydeFFrcline.jpg

NannyMom

Sorry it won't work out for you FF :(

If you're getting a new seat, I'd go with the MR over the CC. It gives you the option to RF, it has cup holders, it has a higher weight limit (even though she may never need it). And yes, it does have a nice recline when FF.

menfusse

Why? As long as you still have the box or could find a box that shape you have it made. It is the cheapest and easiest seat to ship in my very extensive experience.

Now a Signo is a different story.:whistle:

Well, I guess it's the whole idea of shipping a seat in general. I don't have the box. My dh is a compulsive box throw'er away'er. I would need to find a box. Do you ship usps or UPS or what? Bah...I'm just wallowing in it tonight, lol. Maybe the idea of shipping will seem better in a few days.:whistle:

aisraeltax

that happened to my son in the BV when he hit 35 lbs. and was RF'ing for a few weeks before we got our MR. I hated looking at him more than anything in that position. :( Some kids may not be bothered by it, but i am bothered by it.

we will be using the Radian XT for at least another year though, so im hoping by that time, he wont experience what your dd is experiencing right now. please, pray we dont..i just promised no more seats lol

Calideedle

That was the same thing that happened to DD for the few days she was FF in the RN. It is very cheap to ship an RN too!

I would go for the MR (probably because I want to buy one).

arly1983

Well, I guess it's the whole idea of shipping a seat in general. I don't have the box. My dh is a compulsive box throw'er away'er. I would need to find a box. Do you ship usps or UPS or what? Bah...I'm just wallowing in it tonight, lol. Maybe the idea of shipping will seem better in a few days.:whistle:

Just go ahead and keep your eyes open for a box. Its not that big folded so you shouldnt have trouble finding one.

For the radian, I have shipped both UPS and Fedex Ground and USPS Priority. I just do shipping quotes on each website using my buyers zip and use whichever one is the cheapest.

I don't think you would have any problems finding a buyer on swap for a reasonable price and should be able to get the full price of a MyRide out of it once you get the XT shipped.

Last edited:

menfusse

Just go ahead and keep your eyes open for a box. Its not that big folded so you shouldnt have trouble finding one.

For the radian, I have shipped both UPS and Fedex Ground and USPS Priority. I just do shipping quotes on each website using my buyers zip and use whichever one is the cheapest.

I don't think you would have any problems finding a buying on swap for a reasonable price and should be able to get the full price of a MyRide out of it once you get the XT shipped.
Well, I guess this is the route I'll go. I actually did list it on swap awhile back for local delivery, but nobody took the bait and I was still sort of tentative as well. The FF slump sealed the deal though. It's a 40lbs RF, and DOM was this past April...so it's pretty new. Hopefully I'll be able to get a decent price to cover shipping and get the MR. I'm so wishy washy though, lol. I'll talk about it for weeks before I do it, lol.

Spam

Doesn't look comfy to me either. Shipping the RN shouldn't be as bad as you think. I shipped mine for under $15.

Shaunam

It's got a decent FF recline, right?

It has *excellent* ff'ing recline. DD didn't even slump and she has no head or torso control whatsoever. And when it's installed ff'ing, the ball is still in the green. Basically as much recline as when it's rf'ing, but not a full 45 degrees.

The cozy cline is great too, but if you want the option of rf'ing, definitely go with the MR.

jujumum

I vote for the MR, Flair in particular.:love:

Here is dd - she'll be 4 in December. It is her absolute favorite of all seats (possibly due to the cupholders). It is pretty reclined, but not too much.

Last edited:

Mommy2Marcus

I agree, go for the MR! It is an awsome seat for RF & FF IMHO. It is AWSOME for FF sleepers. My DS rode in it FF while we were on vacation in a friends car & he slept for 2 hours in it VERY comfortably with NO head slump what so ever. Here is a picture of it installed FF in DH's 2001 Cavalier.
008-7.jpg

010-7.jpg

I didn't think it was to terribly bad reclined.

fyrfightermomma

The Radian doesn't work for us FFing either. The Signo and My Ride was the only thing that flew with her, so I'd give the My Ride a try. Good luck!

southpawboston

well this confirms that we will NOT be getting RN XTs to replace our signos, as it seems that head slumping is a real issure with the XTs... :( we'll just have to live with two-across instead of three-across.

the MR looks like it does a great job with the SIP wings, but man oh man, the recline on the MR is worse than the signos!!!

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I find the slump varies from kid to kid. AJ does great in the RN XT ffing, no slump, but Evan always has slump. It doesn't bother them though, so I'm o.k. w/ it.

Genevieve

CPST Instructor
well this confirms that we will NOT be getting RN XTs to replace our signos, as it seems that head slumping is a real issure with the XTs... :( we'll just have to live with two-across instead of three-across.

the MR looks like it does a great job with the SIP wings, but man oh man, the recline on the MR is worse than the signos!!!

I think the head slump really varies with each kid. DS1 slumps in *every* FF seat except the XT. Although he's never sat in a my ride.

Morganthe

My dh is a compulsive box throw'er away'er.

This made me laugh. :D I'm a compulsive (original) box keeper. :thumbsup: He must be my direct opposite on the spectrum. :p

DH stopped complaining long ago because he discovered the difference in resale prices for original box vs no-box. It's a mental thing, kind of like the "1.99" vs 2.00. :shrug-shoulders:

He just happily reboxed the Tiger Rice cooker for me to sell. We'll use our Zojirushi with a transformer.

Thankfully, we've always had storage areas, like good sheds & attics. :eek:

courtfrog2

I had the nasty headslump with the Radian65 and the Nautilus. Now my 5 year old is in the Regent and has no head slump whatsoever.. :thumbsup:

Don't know why because it's not that reclined? She puts her head perfectly to the side :D

I agree with others... keep your option to FF or RF opened and get he MR. From what I've seen in the store and pictures on here... great seat. Plus really pretty pinks!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC