Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Is rear-facing safer in a side impact collision?

My sister asked me this yesterday and I didn't have a good answer for her because I'm really not a whiz at physics.

My response to her was that I don't know and I'd guess that at the worst, rear-facing and forward-facing would offer the same protection in a side impact collision. But is rear-facing actually safer in this circumstance? Why?

Thanks. I figure someone on here will have a good explanation for me!
    Roxie -- CPST and mommy to:
    DD1 - 11, DD2 - 9, DS - 5

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Is rear-facing safer in a side impact collision?

This thread on the topic may interest you:

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=7924

As might this section of the technical encyclopedia:

http://www.carseat.org/Technical/tec....htm#rearfacFF

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

FOUR TIMES safer, yup .
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9916868/

The child stays neatly contained in the seat shell in a side crash, whereas in a frontal crash, their head flies forward out of the side of the seat and more likely to strike the window or B-pillar or even the oncoming car's bumper.

"870 children under age 2 who had been in either rear-facing or forward-facing car seats at the time of an automobile accident. He found that the children in forward-facing seats were more than four times as likely to be injured in side crashes as opposed to the children in rear-facing seats."
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Okay - so the safety of rear-facing in a side crash is because most of them have a frontal component? Thanks makes sense.

And don't worry - she and I are both convinced that RF is safer, we were just wondering about the physics of it.
    Roxie -- CPST and mommy to:
    DD1 - 11, DD2 - 9, DS - 5

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oxeye View Post
    Okay - so the safety of rear-facing in a side crash is because most of them have a frontal component? Thanks makes sense.

And don't worry - she and I are both convinced that RF is safer, we were just wondering about the physics of it.
    Right, mostly people are moving forward when they are T-boned...like, through a green light in an intersection when someone runs a red light...so the head will keep flying forward in the direction the car is driving, then the head will fly towards the point of impact (ouch)

Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Quote Originally Posted by joolsplus3 View Post
    Right, mostly people are moving forward when they are T-boned...like, through a green light in an intersection when someone runs a red light...so the head will keep flying forward in the direction the car is driving, then the head will fly towards the point of impact (ouch)

A body in motion stays in motion unless acted on by an outside force.
    Newton's Law of Motion
    WOW! amazing I actually remembered something from HS science class!
    Lysandra
    CPST, LLLL and SAHM
    Mia 13, Ian 10, Clek Olli x2, TB and BubbleBum