Where to get free seats?

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
I am trying to find seats for my foster babies for their mom. In the past, EMSA, had a program doing checks and giving away free seats (no qualifying needed). However, they recently ended their program. She is using expired seats, despite being informed of this AND given the info to get new seats (from EMSA). She's getting ready to keep the boys overnight and I KNOW she's going to transport them. I can't really afford to buy new seats right now, and I do not want to let her use mine (lots of reasons)...but at the same time, do not want the boys to be put in danger. IMO, this is HER job as their mother, but she is obviously not doing her job, or I wouldn't be raising her children....

I could buy me new seats and give her my spares, but again, not something I can really afford to do ATM. If I could find a place for her or even myself (even though I think she needs to be the one doing this) to get them through an event, that would be great. Got any links? This would be in OK. Either OKC or Tulsa area is fine.

And yes, the worker knows she has expired seats. I'm about to go over her head on this one.

ADS

Blondie87

Good question. If I needed to, I could get Sceneras from Judi for $30 through the Safe Kids program. But all of my parents/grandmas/aunts have taken my recommendations and bought new seats, and have even RFed past the limit. A's mom and dad are just about to start transitioning home with her, and I told the caseworker about the check events, or scheduling a time with Judi to get a cheaper seat and learn how to install it and buckle her, she agreed and is making that a requirement before they transport.

Do you have somewhere where you can at least get discounted seats? Buying 2 $30 seats wouldn't be so bad if she absolutely refused. But would she even install them correctly?

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
Probably not, since they only put them in for the visits, so we have in/out issues. But, I'd rather have improperly installed unexpired seats then improperly installed expired OHS. KWIM? Right now my goal is to get them in unexpired seats. At least that's something I can make a fuss about with DHS. One battle at a time!

Kaede's_Mom

I'm sure you have tried safe kids in Tulsa. IKWYM on DHS here, my step sis in-law has expired seats for her foster kids and refuses to get new ones since her case worker said the seats were "ok to use".

OU med would be a possibility too, also maybe st Francis childrens hospital (they had a program a couple years ago, don't know if they are still doing it). If it was just to borrow I could lend you my spare, but then it would leave you still one seat to figure out.

steph_s

Will the agency help bio with seats? I know my agency will! Bio's must come up with half the price of the seat and the agency will fit the bill for the rest of it as long as they agree that the seats belong to the children not the parents and agree to go to safe kids to get their seats installed. This way if the child comes into care again they can bring the seats back.

If the case workers don't budge then point out that they are failing to protect! This is what got my workers moving.

myliljunebugs

What about WIC? Are you or she on it? If so I think they give away free seats. Maybe the health dpt? Might look at St. Francis in Tulsa (just saw Kelsey already said that....LOL). I wish I had something :(

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
I've got a couple of leads for her...at most $10 each, but she'll have to actually GO and do it. Some require a class, some don't. I'm going to put together all the info, and send it to the worker. If she doesn't require anything by the overnight visit, I will go over her head...no matter how much I love her. I will not let this continue. It's child endagerment IMO.

Kaede's_Mom

I totaly agree with you. Something needs to happen, even i'd it means going over her head. Our DHS system seems to be really flawed compared to other states which is sad. It is thier job to make sure these kiddos are safe, and that should mean in the car too!

mish

I didn't know how many people from Oklahoma were on this board! I live in SE Kansas but am in Oklahoma all the time. We really need to have a meet-up sometime.

Kaede's_Mom

Definatly!
Kay and I are in the same town even :) but have yet to meet lol. We live in north east Oklahoma. I know Jessica, she is who got me "involved", as DH puts it, in car seat crazyness.

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
I wish you were in Arkansas... AR Children's Hospital here in Little Rock has a program that gives free seats, of course they can make you wait a couple of weeks for an appointment. When we needed to get one in a hurry after our wreck and couldn't do the OOP expense right away, the LRPD gave us one. I've also heard of programs through pediatrician's offices.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC