Best Seats for 3 kids in Odyssey

brownie2421

I posted earlier about an accident my husband was in and I will be replacing car seats for our three children for use in our Honday Odyssey.

DS1 - turns 5 on Wednesday, 40.5 lbs., 45 inches. Tall boy.

DS2 - 3.5 years, 39.5 lbs., 41 inches. Big boy.

DD - 16.5 months, appx. 20 lbs., 30 inches. Still rear facing.

Currently the boys ride in Marathons and DD rides in a Roundabout from when I had DS1. DS1 I almost too tall for a Marathon to make enough sense to spend the money on replacing his with another Marathon.

The boys ride in the third row, although I have given much though into moving one of them into the center with their sister for various reasons.

Which seats would you get if you were me? I'm not so concerned with the price as much as I am a) safety b)good install and c) comfort for the kids.

I like the idea of Frontiers for the boys given their heights but the hugeness of them in a little bit of a turnoff for me.

I was thinking about the Radians because the narrow profile is very appealing to me. But I own six Britax seats (we also have two Parkways for rare rides in my husband's car and my mom has a Roundabout for infrequent use) so switching brands would be a big change for me.

I appreciate any advice you can offer.
Ashley

ADS

Marvin711

I am with you on switching brands..... we own 7 Britax seats but I've been considering trying out the Radians... however, there is something to be said for being comfortable with the seat, how it operates, and installs from lots of years of experience!!
That said, I would choose two Frontiers for your boys and a MA for your little girl! My son is 5 and is a little larger than your oldest and fits wonderfully in the Frontier, he has a lot of his height in his legs though! He has 1 slot to go on the harness!

We've installed our Frontier on the rear of our Odyssey and it wasn't too bad room wise! Using LATCH it was a cinch (literally I guess) the seatbelt is harder but doable...or maybe it's just me who struggles! MA fits wonderfully RF without taking away leg room from passenger! The Frontier also fits very nicely in the Captains chairs in the center. If you did one of the boys in the center then the other could be in the middle back...

U

Unregistered

Can you use latch w/ children over 40 lbs. in a Honda? I thought I read that you couldn't. I will switch back if it's safe -- I struggled to get my Nautilus in w/ a locking plate and I still worry whether it's properly installed.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
You would need to use a seatbelt installation for kids 40 lbs. and up instead of using the lower LATCH anchors for installing in a Honda because Hondas do have a 40 lb. limit for installing with LATCH. It's recommended to continue using the top tether anchor with a seatbelt installation of a forward facing harnessed carseat in order to reduce head excursion in a crash.

lovinwaves

Can you use latch w/ children over 40 lbs. in a Honda? I thought I read that you couldn't. I will switch back if it's safe -- I struggled to get my Nautilus in w/ a locking plate and I still worry whether it's properly installed.

Your seatbelt probably locks on it's own, which means you would not have to use the Locking Plate. They can be difficult for the most part, which you have found out, so it might help to see if your seatbelt locks. How to determine that is to pull your seatbelt out all the way slowly. Once you can't pull anymore out slowly let the belt ratchet back (sometimes you will hear the ratcheting noise). If you can't pull the seatbelt out once you do this, then your seatbelt will lock when you install your car seat, therefore eleminating the need for a locking clip/plate.

Last edited:

MySillyKids

You're right. No latch in a honda After 40lbs. ;)

Marvin711

Right- no LATCH over 40 in Honda!! I was trying to make the point in my response while latch install is super easy I thought that the seatbelt install on the frontier was difficult in my Odyssey!

firemomof3

I would recommend the Frontier over the GN for your boys. The reason is because the Frontier offers much more shoulder room and overall growing room vs. the GN. Your sons may find their shoulders squished once they need to use the GN in booster mode.
I have found the Frontier to be a fantastic seat overall, far more superior to the GN :twocents:
In the Odyssey, the LBP install works well and there are online videos to help.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC