Will you be changing your seat usage in response to TC's videos?

Are you changing your seat usage in response to TC's crash videos?

• Yes

Votes: 27 32.9%
  • No

Votes: 17 20.7%
  • Not sure/maybe?

Votes: 38 46.3%

• Total voters

flick37

I haven't looked at the videos...am too nervous to at this point :(. But, DD is in DH's truck FF in an MA with seatbelt as there is no UAS in it...what was the issue with the FF MA?

She is FF in a TF in my car with the UAS.

New baby will be in a SS1 with the UAS.

Was there anything to worry about with any of those?

ADS

Shanora

I think the only issues with some of the MA is that with heavier kids, and seat belt install, the harnesses separated from the seat.

I do however think that I will be going out and buying DS#2 a newer seat sooner than later so that I can pass his MA to his sister, as it can be RF tethered......Although I'm pretty sure there is enough room between him and DD's seat that he wouldn't connect IF the harnesses ever detached from the seat.....I don't want to keep him in that seat anymore....I don't have any faith in the MA anymore....(And I JUST bought the Fido cover! :( )

oxeye

Absolutely yes.

DS has a good 2 inches to the top of the Keyfit but I do not feel comfortable using it anymore.

I won't use a MA FF for any of my kids (not a huge deal for us anyway since I prefer other seats for FF).

I was planning to get a rigid LATCH booster for DD1 when the time came but now I will need to do a lot more research and thinking before I decide what to do.

zactayaus

I would really love a link to all these videos everyone is talking about. I haven't been on much the last couple of days and obviously I have missed something big. I have an SS1 and an MA so please can someone give me more info.:(

APmama2MAK

I would really love a link to all these videos everyone is talking about. I haven't been on much the last couple of days and obviously I have missed something big. I have an SS1 and an MA so please can someone give me more info.:(

Here is the link
http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/roadsafety/...rograms-regulations-research-research-887.htm

Choose which seat you want to view (infant,ff or booster) then scroll down to What we measured & there is a link to the videos for that seat type.

:thumbsup:

kittykate

We won't be using any infant seats for future children so long as low weight convertibles that fit tiny newborns well actually exist. The clips just reconfirmed that one less possible point of failure is a good thing.

kittykate

It's in post #17 :)

ETA: Oops should have refreshed before I posted :)

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I won't be changing anything regarding my own use or my recommendations to others. I'll be watching for further developments, but I always do that anyway. The way I see it, TC did exactly what Consumer Reports did and ran tests at much greater speeds than the test they were designed for. We tell people to ignore CR because their test speeds are unrealistically high and represent a crash that is so severe it is usually considered unsurvivable. We also tell people that the current standard is consistent with a very severe crash, and point out the real world data that shows current seats do a phenomenal job protecting children despite a 90+% misuse rate.

Mingie

CPST Instructor
I am just not sure. We have 2 MA's and a Blvd. One of the MAs and the Blvd are rfing and dd#2 is about 24lbs. So that I am okay with. DD#1 is almost 4 and I *think* she is about 38lbs. She is eating like a horse lately and that usually indicates a growth spurt. But she will likely not last another year in the seat since she only has a little height left. So I am comfortable keeping her in that seat while I figure out what I want to move her to next. So she will never even get close to 65lbs in that seat.

I guess the thing we don't know is how a lot of other seats fare and how they do in each vehicle. I have made sure that the ffing seats have the most allowable room in front of them and I will make sure dd#1 remains rfing as long as possible. With dd#1 she was 30lbs well before 2 and that was the limit of my seats. Thankfully dd#2 is smaller and we now have more choice for rfing longer.

Last edited:

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I don't believe this footage can be compared to the Consumer Reports situation AT ALL. a) we know that these seats were properly installed, b) TC released methodology WITH the footage which CR never did, and c) we know the seats were properly utilized.

Futhermore, Newtons are Newtons! The higher speeds can be off-set by the lower weights. A few of us took some rough calculations and realized that the Marathon failures were happening at about an equal amount of Newtons as if the seats were utilized at the maximum weight and at test speeds. That's still scary, but not worthy of freaking out over either.

-Nicole.

Mama!

Yeah.

DD (6) has been FT boostered in a Graco Turbo HBB since school started b/c she couldn't get her chest clip off on her Regent fast enough for car line.

I'm going to put both kids in 3rd row , and fold the 2nd row seats. Mine lock when tumbled. He's still in a Regent and will be for a long time, and I really want her back in a Regent but it just won't work with car line.

But putting them back there with no seat up in front of them will at least buy some more head excursion room.

I kinda wish I had a 45 lb RF Radian for him though. :(

veralevitt

Would someone mind explaining what I am seeing that is bad or less good? The infant seats slamming into the sear back I get, so will definitely be forgoing the infant seat for LO3 debuting in May. But what about the MA's? I have 2 RF and was planning on a Coccoro for newbie. Should I replace the MA's with Radians? What are you all seeing in RF marathons that I am not, oh wise techs :confused:? DD1 is 3 next month, still RF and 31lbs. I need new seats anyhow, for a successful 3 across config, so happy to buy new ones.

Mods feel free to move this thread if needed. Thanks.

hipmaman

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Would someone mind explaining what I am seeing that is bad or less good? The infant seats slamming into the sear back I get, so will definitely be forgoing the infant seat for LO3 debuting in May. But what about the MA's? I have 2 RF and was planning on a Coccoro for newbie. Should I replace the MA's with Radians? What are you all seeing in RF marathons that I am not, oh wise techs :confused:? DD1 is 3 next month, still RF and 31lbs. I need new seats anyhow, for a successful 3 across config, so happy to buy new ones.

Mods feel free to move this thread if needed. Thanks.

Observations, recommendations can be found here http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=100772

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I don't believe this footage can be compared to the Consumer Reports situation AT ALL. a) we know that these seats were properly installed, b) TC released methodology WITH the footage which CR never did, and c) we know the seats were properly utilized.

Futhermore, Newtons are Newtons! The higher speeds can be off-set by the lower weights. A few of us took some rough calculations and realized that the Marathon failures were happening at about an equal amount of Newtons as if the seats were utilized at the maximum weight and at test speeds. That's still scary, but not worthy of freaking out over either.

-Nicole.

I'm not saying that TC didn't provide very important and useful information. They did. Nor am I saying they were irresponsible and secretive in the way that CR was by hiding their test data. I'm just saying that it is unrealistic to change my whole approach at this point, based on what these tests show. Even in the cases of the harness failures in various seats (all of which were both above the upper weight limit AND above the normal crash test speed if I'm reading correctly), the tests showed that the injury criteria was within acceptable limits.

The last thing we need is to start a fire by freaking out over these tests. We have a hard enough time as it is getting people to put kids in seats that fit the child, fit the car, use them properly, and retire them when they expire. New information and stricter standards are great and wonderful and something I very much look forward to. I'm sure the TC study is absolutely invaluable to that end. I'm sure better seats will come out if it. But for now, the seats we have work amazingly well and it would be a disservice to tell parents that that they do not.

As an aside: the video of the Snugride installed without the base shows the seat belt incorrectly routed through the belt path.

seamonkeys

Man, I am not happy seeing this. Now I'm just confused! Why didn't they have the MA tethered in the RFing tests? And I don't like that they didn't show other RFing seats like RN, MR, and the TF more upright. So how do I know if other convertibles would be safer RFing than the MA?

DD is currently in a KF (with several inches above her head). My plan is to move her to the MA next, but she's still below the lowest strap, so it will probably be a few more months before I can do that.

But now I don't know what to do for DS2. I was going to move him to a Frontier once DD needs the MA. Should I be concerned about this decision? He's about 31-32 lbs.

I just don't know now if I should let these videos freak me out. It seems like all the seats looked horrible in the videos - but they were high-speed crashes, right? So yeah, isn't it expected that the results of a crash like that are going to be bad? :confused:

aisraeltax

i agree that they are very confusing.

i am using my son's infant seat for a few weeks until we get teh RXTSL and now im nervous as heck. i feel like not driving until i get the other Radian.

3plus2isme

I just posted in the other thread but thought I'd throw it in here too.

I can't watch the vids because of my not so wonderful laptop... but I keep reading civic + FF MA = BAD. Well ds2 is in that exact situation and I'm freaking out. Could someone tell me in layman's terms what TC showed??? He has a radian he can go into but he <3's his cow seat so much he'll be horrified but safety is my #1 concern!

momto2princes

No not at the moment.

I would have liked to have seen a Radian RF'ing in the videos but I was happy with its results FF'ing so I feel good with that one.

I just moved my oldest from his Frontier into the Oobr. I would have liked some videos with either of these but alas no luck. Whether I keep him in the Oobr or move him back to the Frontier hasn't been decided yet.

Shanora

I just posted in the other thread but thought I'd throw it in here too.

I can't watch the vids because of my not so wonderful laptop... but I keep reading civic + FF MA = BAD. Well ds2 is in that exact situation and I'm freaking out. Could someone tell me in layman's terms what TC showed??? He has a radian he can go into but he <3's his cow seat so much he'll be horrified but safety is my #1 concern!

The harnesses are pulled through the back of the seat. Now remember these are at really high speeds, 56.4km/h to a dead stop. From what I understand is that MOST crashes are slower when its dead on....as you tend to apply the breaks. That being said its still kinda freaky.

That's also my issue, DS is LOVING his new Fido (blues clues) cover for the MA....and would be VERY upset to have to give it up.

Shanora

Also, the dummy in the FFing MA is 3 pounds over the weight limit. And we have NO idea what kind of structual difference there is between the 48# MAs and the 65# MA...or if there is any.

What I'd like to see is the same tests done with the 65# MA....if they fail then with a 51# dummy, THEN I'll be freaking out.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC