Supplimental side airbags?

skipspin

The vehicle (07 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4-door) we are looking at buying has supplimental side airbags available. They deploy from the side pillar next to the front seats, but are not "side-curtain" airbags.

Is anyone familiar with these and how they work or reduce injury? We put them on our vehicle order, but I'm just curious what the differences are. They are a $400 option, but unless I find out that they don't do anything we are going to get them. They aren't an option in the back seat, but all our kids will be little and in seats for the whole time we have this vehicle (not more than 36 months) so I don't care all that much about the back seat since any outboard seats will have SIP anyway. (Either a RFing infnat seat, WZ, or Recaro YS at this point.)

ADS

southpawboston

there are generally two types of side impact airbags: torso protection only, and torso+head protection. these are distinct from side curtains, which are designed to provide head protection/rollover protection but do not provide any torso protection.

i don't know the specifics of the jeep's system, but that's generally the breakdown.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
The key thing is that you want them to provide head protection. In general, it doesn't matter if that head protection is provided by a separate bag, a curtain, a tube or other system. According to the IIHS, NHTSA and Jeep sides, it does look like the front seat has optional side impact airbags for the head and torso.

Even though it is limited to the front seat, I think it is a very important feature. Of course, since there are no crash tests available, you never know how it will perform. Even some models with side curtain airbags haven't performed well, so there's always a chance that the design may not end up being a big advantage. Odds are it will be an improvement, though.

skipspin

Thanks, I was just confused by the language I was reading in the brochure. We are getting them since I figure it can't make anything worse. If Dh gets his bigger tires, I get my side airbags. LOL. Besides, it's MY vehicle.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Nice- are you getting the new 4-door version? I like the Sahara version, though it's probably not a purist Jeep.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC