winter coat issues fleece isn't working (am I doing something wrong?)

Last year I got so sick of people coming up to me in parking lots with the "oh don't you think they are going to be cold if you take their coat off" and having to explain the dangers of winter coats in car seats, while they walked off rolling their eyes or urged on acting like my child would for certian die of hypothermia if I left the coat off..

This year I went on a mission to find coats that had the shell and the fleece liner, I finally found them for all three kids. The other morning it was nippy when we left to bring Julianna to school so I had them wear the fleece parts.. Well try as I might I can not buckle the harness over the fleece part, I have to loosen it, so off went the fleece liners.. I thought fleece was ok? Is it not? Do I over tighten the harness maybe normally? I can be a freak about the harness being tight..maybe its too tight? the fact that I can't buckle it over fleece made me wonder? any input would be great.

ADS

Mommy0608

It's okay if you do have to loosen the harness just a little bit. Fleece is thin, but what makes it a safe option is that it's not really compressible, as opposed to puffy-style jackets. Having the straps tight over the fleece is appropriate and safe, even if you have to slightly loosen the straps when the child is wearing it. Just make sure that the fleece is flat against the child (not bunched up) and flat behind the child's back so that the child is still sitting as far back as possible in the seat when buckling.

Hope this helps. :)

Minnesota

CPST Instructor
It's okay if you do have to loosen the harness just a little bit. Fleece is thin, but what makes it a safe option is that it's not really compressible, as opposed to puffy-style jackets. Having the straps tight over the fleece is appropriate and safe, even if you have to slightly loosen the straps when the child is wearing it. Just make sure that the fleece is flat against the child (not bunched up) and flat behind the child's back so that the child is still sitting as far back as possible in the seat when buckling.

I couldn't have said it better myself! Please do not worry about a little fleece coat - you understand about harness tightness, and your kiddos will be safe and warm!

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Were the coats open or zipped? I tend to leave them open and then pull them through for less bulk. There's a pic here somewhere.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
How in the world are you doing the 3 across w/ those Vivos?! I tried it in my van and there was just no way I could get the Vivo buckled!

swtgi1982

Yea, I would not worry about a fleece either since many kids wear a fleece shirt as a shirt and it is not much thicker anyways.

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
Do this: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLTVPqn0aR8&feature=related"]YouTube - How to SAFELY wear a winter coat in a car seat[/ame]

I tried open and closed, I foundthat with it open it actually made it worse cause of the bulk of the collar bunching up under the harness.. it might work better, tonight for Fiona cause we are using the frontier (I tried it when she was rfing in her radian.) so since the straps will be above her shoulders she might be ok.

Nolan might be harder still, but I will give it a shot again.. I won't worry about loosening the straps for fleece! thanks so much!

fyrfightermomma

I found even with very thin fleece you still have to loosen a teeny bit. I have a feeling most of us
overtighten the harness to begin with, so honestly that tiny bit doesn't worry. It's not gonna eject my child and the material isn't compressible so it's not going to get any looser.

Otherwise the unzipping works well too but that got old for me :)

Jennifer mom to my 7

I found even with very thin fleece you still have to loosen a teeny bit. I have a feeling most of us
overtighten the harness to begin with, so honestly that tiny bit doesn't worry. It's not gonna eject my child and the material isn't compressible so it's not going to get any looser.

Otherwise the unzipping works well too but that got old for me :)

:yeahthat:

I know that I sometimes have the harness overtightened (well "almost" overtightened, if you know what I mean). So, I take solice in the fact that these are the rear facing kiddos, and they are so much more safe that way, that a harness a tad loose won't really affect them that much. Plus, fleece really isn't compressable, like a down jacket would be.

by a tad too loose, I mean I still can't pinch any, but I can get a finger under it

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC