Britax Frontier

LP Mom

In your opinion, at what age is a child ready for the Frontier? Trying to decide whether to keep mine or not.

ADS

MOM25BOYS

I put my DS4 in it at 32 mths when he started to teeter between 34-35lbs. My TF only went to 35lbs then and he fit nicely in it.:) I regret selling mine, but I need a more narrow harnessed seat to fit my 3rd row.:(

mamabear

We started using ours when DD outgrew the MA (at almost 5). but I think around age 3 she would have made a nice fit too:twocents:

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
As soon as you are ready to forward face them :whistle:
Leah was comfy in hers at 'almost 3' in daddy's car, she was still RF in mine for another 6+ months, though.

kittykate

My older son's stats are in my siggy. He will be in the Frontier when it arrives on Monday as he is at 35 lb rear facing limit of our True Fits when clothed, shod and fed (and he has outgrown the Marathons we had before our accident by height) As none of the 40+ rear facing seats work with both him and my car, he is now forward facing.

So my opinion would be that a Frontier is appropriate for a child who has outgrown the rear facing limit of her or his current convertible seat, as long as they meet the minimum age and weight limits of the Frontier.

LP Mom

All of these kids are 3 or almost 3 like my son who I got the new Radian SL for (and who is currently in the Frontier). Makes me wonder if I should have gone through this whole Radian thing! LOL.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
As soon as you are ready to forward face them :whistle:
Leah was comfy in hers at 'almost 3' in daddy's car, she was still RF in mine for another 6+ months, though.

yes, this. honestly, with the ERF seats on eth market, I can see many kids not needing the seat until they are 4-5-6 if they ERF to the limits in one o fthe new 40-45 lb seats. However, I aso think that a child who is the minimum 2 yo and 25 lbs would be fine in it..as fine as they woudl be in any FFing seat. It actually has a really short shell and short harness slots, such that my tiny, i mean really tiny ds, at 18 months old, 20 lbs and 30 inches (so, the size of a 9-12 month old) fit in the harness REALLY well. (in my living room, not in the car, of course ;))

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Yeah, it's like they designed it to fit the regular 20lb/1 yo kiddo and then changed their mind and slapped that higher minimum on :thumbsup:

LP Mom, don't lose faith now! You are joining the cool kids in the mega-ERF club! :love:

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Yeah, my kids would fit in the Frontier-- but they're not. ;) It makes a really nice, really tall booster, though, and soon you'll even be able to buy the Slide Guard anti-sub clip as an accessory! So it could be great for a backup and then for a booster once a kid who is ERFing in primary car goes into a booster full-time (if you're like me, and your kids are likely to be able to go straight from RF to booster...)

stephcali

My DD was 26 months when I moved her to the Frontier (she was about 36lbs at the time). She is a big girl and fits great in it. She was already on the 2nd harness position, then quickly moved up to the 3rd and now is on the 4th position at almost 33 months (big and tall!) I'm hoping her growth slows down soon, I really don't want to have to move her to a booster before 6!

LP Mom

I just opened the Radian 80 SL and wow, way more narrow than the Frontier. I will have to have DS sit in it tomorrow. I think I will return the 80 SL and wait for the XT SL though. I do like the huge headwings in the Frontier and the 80 SL is obviously lacking those. The pics online are deceiving because it looks like the infant head pillow can be used on top, like mini-head wings.

So the consensus is that I would be able to use the Radian until he is 4-5 and won't need the Frontier anytime soon or should I keep it just in case he grows quicker than anticipated?

jsmom

I bought ours earlier this year, DD was 2.5. It is a second seat so its not really used but I am regretting getting it and I wish I would have bought another seat that can RF because now I am stuck with this one and I want my DD RFing at ALL times. Im hoping that either this one sells or we have some extra money and I can get a seat that will RF before winter and all of the terrible weather.

PHaley

Unless you think you won't have the $ for a new one when the time comes I don't see any reason to keep it. Then again if he rides with other people or you are like most of us and are concerned about having a spare so you dont have to uninstall your day-to-day seats then keep it. It really wouldn't hurt anything either way :)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I think your supposed to most the infant torso wings up to use as headwings for bigger kids, if they want extra pillows :thumbsup: Ours just made Leah's had flop forward when FF, though, she finds the plain old 65 with no extra pillows the most comfy.

LP Mom

I think your supposed to most the infant torso wings up to use as headwings for bigger kids, if they want extra pillows :thumbsup: Ours just made Leah's had flop forward when FF, though, she finds the plain old 65 with no extra pillows the most comfy.
So you are saying that the body pillow can be moved up to be used as a head pillow for toddlers?

We tried the 80 SL last night and hit fits but just barely (width wise) as it is so much more narrow than the Frontier. Will this be a problem? He is skinny but fit in the Frontier very nicely. He says he does not like the 80 SL (and I don't like the color anyway so we are in agreement), so hopefully we will like the XT SL better. I did like the 65 we had gotten from diapers.com earlier. Bummer that it only went 40 pounds and the kiddo is already at 35#.

LP Mom

Unless you think you won't have the $ for a new one when the time comes I don't see any reason to keep it. Then again if he rides with other people or you are like most of us and are concerned about having a spare so you dont have to uninstall your day-to-day seats then keep it. It really wouldn't hurt anything either way :)
We only have one car and he does not ride with anyone else, so we don't really need two seats for him right now. Then again, I got it for a good deal and would kick myself if we needed it a year from now and I'd sold it!

armywife12

We bought our Frontier when Caleb was just over 2 yrs old because he was fastly approaching the 35lb weight limit on his True Fit. He is just about 26 months old now, 35lbs and close to 38 inches or so. He is in the Frontier full time in my vehicle and rear facing in the MyRide in daddy's unsafe Neon. Caleb fits wonderfully in it. He's already using the fourth position and he's so close to it that I'm wondering if it needs to be moved up another notch. My husband deploys next month so the MyRide will most likely go back into my vehicle and he'll return to the Frontier when he hits 40lbs.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC