Question Trouble deciding on a jogging/all terrain stroller...

Logan's Mommy

Hello =). I need a stroller for my big 2 year old (35" & 31lbs). I won't be using it for running, it will mainly be used as an everyday stroller and for brisk walks in the evenings. Price is an issue, I'd like to stay under $150. Also, I have a 2002 Nissan Altima and need to be able to fit the stroller in the trunk without too much of a struggle. I'm hoping someone can help me make this decision! I've been going back and forth and reading reviews for weeks. I've finally narrowed it down to two strollers and cannot, for the life of me, make a decision! LOL! The first option is the Baby Trend Expedition LX in phantom (http://www.target.com/Baby-Trend-Ph...&searchRank=pmrank&searchPage=1&searchSize=30). It's available at Target for $109. It has everything I'm looking for, but the fold isn't very compact and I'm really concerned about some of the reviews I've read for Baby Trend products. The reviews for that particular stroller aren't bad, but almost every Baby Trend jogger has reviews complaining about a shaky, dangerous front wheel. My second option is the InStep Suburban Safari (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10980095). It's $129 at Walmart.com and I can have it shipped to the store. I like the smaller wheels on this one and it folds up more compactly, but the sun shade stinks and the fabric isn't as durable. Also, the footrest area seems a little smaller than the Baby Trend, which is a concern for me since my son has long legs and needs space to put them! However, this stroller gets all around good reviews. Sorry this is so long! Any advice is welcomed! I'd especially like to hear from owners of these products!

ADS

lovinwaves

I would not recommend either. :sorry!:

Buy a Baby Jogger Micro for shopping and such.

Buy an older model "Baby Jogger" single with front fixed wheel for your brisk walks :)

MySillyKids

Link to your Craigs list?

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Jogger-Micro-Single-Stroller/dp/B002AMVEME/?tag=carseatorg-20"]Here's the micro on sale at Amazon![/ame]

Logan's Mommy

Thanks, but I really wanted the stroller I buy to have a child tray as well as a parent tray. Also, the wheels on the city mini are too small since I would like to be able to take it on trails sometimes as well. I've been checking my local craigslist religiously, trying to find something to suit my needs, but no such luck.

MySillyKids

I bet you lovin and i could find something on your CL. We're like the CL stroller queens ;)

My neighbor has that first one that you like. I see him every day, with it backwards, pulling it, because the sunshade is no good. The baby is screaming the entire time down the walkway.

lovinwaves

Thanks, but I really wanted the stroller I buy to have a child tray as well as a parent tray. Also, the wheels on the city mini are too small since I would like to be able to take it on trails sometimes as well. I've been checking my local craigslist religiously, trying to find something to suit my needs, but no such luck.

Ok I can fix the child tray and parent tray dilemma, but I can't fix the need for you needing an all-terrain and possibly air tires. Hmmm.....

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Advance-Mobility-J7G50-Jogger-Child/dp/B0013BQWLG/ref=pd_bxgy_ba_img_b"]Kid Tray[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Sunshine-Kids-Stroller-Accessory-Buggy/dp/B000SMWUPS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1255114728&sr=1-1"]Parent Organizer/Tray[/ame]

Can you please link your CL? :)

MoreLatte

I wouldn't recommend either of those, either. I've had one of those and the seat back is not tall enough at all for a growing toddler.

The Baby Jogger strollers are the bomb!! They are so sturdy, have an awesome canopy and super quick and easy fold. If you can swing it, the City Classic is a wonderful do it all stroller. It has air filled tires that are quick release, swivel front wheel and an adjustable handle. After five kids and LOTS of strollers, it is by far my favorite. Its perfect for the mall or bumpy, uneven terrain.

If you have your mind set on one of those two that you linked to, I think I'd go with the Baby Trend with a swivel front wheel. The InStep one has a rod that borders the back of the seat and it was right in the middle of the back of my DDs head!

Logan's Mommy

I bet you lovin and i could find something on your CL. We're like the CL stroller queens ;)

My neighbor has that first one that you like. I see him every day, with it backwards, pulling it, because the sunshade is no good. The baby is screaming the entire time down the walkway.

Really? The first one actually has the bigger, ratcheting shade to block sun from almost any direction. Maybe he has an older model without that feature. This is my craigslist:
miami.craigslist.org

Logan's Mommy

Thanks guys! Believe me, if we could afford it right now, I would totally get the $400 stroller of my dreams. Unfortunately, strollers at my price point leave a lot to be desired...

Logan's Mommy

Do you have a regular stroller for him now? If so, what is it?

What about this for walking and trails? http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/bab/1412044122.html

That's a really nice one, but I want to get only one stroller, so I need it to have a swivel wheel and be able to fit in my trunk. We used to have a bulky Graco travel system that I sold when he turned 1, now we just use our Chicco C6 back breaker...I mean, umbrella stroller. We've needed a decent stroller for quite some time now.

lovinwaves

Thanks guys! Believe me, if we could afford it right now, I would totally get the $400 stroller of my dreams. Unfortunately, strollers at my price point leave a lot to be desired...

We are trying to help you find a stroller to suit your needs. That may happen to be an originally priced $400 stroller, but noone here is giving you links to a brand new $400 stroller ;)

My belief is that if you are patient, and look for it, you can have the stroller of your dreams. Maybe new, but more than likely used, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Heck I just purchased a $300 Maclaren today for $55. :) I would never ever spend $300 on the stroller new, but a used one for $55 is a deal. It's a quality stroller that will last me a long time.

So, I am just trying to help you :) I hate to see people buy new stroller because they think they are best, when actually a good used stroller can be better most of the time (price wise). :love:

lovinwaves

That's a really nice one, but I want to get only one stroller,

Ah, that sure would be nice, but I think you will find alot of people have at least 2 strollers. Even if you had $1000 to spend on a stroller will you find it hard to find one stroller to fit all of your needs.

It would be easier for you to find one stroller to suit your needs, except the part about you wanting to take it off-road, or brisk walking. That changes things up a bit. That means you need an air tire stroller. When a stroller has air tires you just automatically made the stroller harder to close, heavier, bulkier, and awkward to put in your car. :( BUT, there are some stroller manufacturers who have seemed to finesse this a bit and lessen the burden, and that's why they cost more. BOB, and Baby Jogger are two brands that come to mind that try to attempt to make a stroller do both. Baby Jogger's line called "City Series" does this quite well. It gives you the compactness of a mall stroller, but ruggedness of an all-terrain. It folds up small, is lightweight, and is easy to fold.

Logan's Mommy

Sorry if that sounded rude, that wasn't may intention and I do appreciate your help. I have no problem getting a nice, used stroller. My problem is, I have no patience! I have been checking craigslist daily for quite some time and can't seem to find what I'm looking for. I guess I'm too picky. I've been losing weight and need to fit more exercise in to keep it up, but it's hard when I can't take the baby with me, and even harder when I try to do it with that stinkin umbrella stroller.

lovinwaves

That's a really nice one, but I want to get only one stroller, so I need it to have a swivel wheel and be able to fit in my trunk. We used to have a bulky Graco travel system that I sold when he turned 1, now we just use our Chicco C6 back breaker...I mean, umbrella stroller. We've needed a decent stroller for quite some time now.

I'm sorry to say, but I think the 2 you listed in your OP are going to put you right back where you were :(

Hopefully someone here that has one of those strollers can chime in on the fold, and how it fits in their trunk. I can tell you though that the more expensive models have better folds, and are lighter and alot less bulkier. :twocents:

MySillyKids

I have 3 strollers. They all serve different purposes. I can't get rid of one of them, because then i'd have a void again.

I chose to get better quality strollers because of the resale value. I know for a fact i could get 100% of my money back on two strollers that i have, and 95% of the other.

It IS alot of money up front, but i'll get it all back when we're done with them! :love:

lovinwaves

Sorry if that sounded rude, that wasn't may intention and I do appreciate your help. I have no problem getting a nice, used stroller. My problem is, I have no patience! I have been checking craigslist daily for quite some time and can't seem to find what I'm looking for. I guess I'm too picky. I've been losing weight and need to fit more exercise in to keep it up, but it's hard when I can't take the baby with me, and even harder when I try to do it with that stinkin umbrella stroller.

You weren't rude at all! :love:

I completely understand :( I know it's hard to be patient, and it must be confusing with all of this info we are giving you as well.

One thing to keep in mind. Strollers will tend to veer one way or another when a wheel is fixed or locked. This very very aggravating, I should know because I have owned a few "cheaper" strollers. The great thing about the BOB stroller that I linked you above on your craigslist is that it has a nice feature where you can adjust the front wheel if it does start to veer. :)

Starlight

Senior Community Member
I had a Baby Trend Single Jogger and yeah it was cheap. In price AND quality. I couldn't stand it. It was a pain to fold and then big and bulky (the back wheels are quite big) and then it got sunfaded really quickly. I sold it and bought a 6 month old Bob Duallie for $300 on my CL. With the infant bar. It ROCKS.

MSK has 3 strollers, which is probably a good number.

I have:

1 Mac Techno Single (mostly in storage, just used occasionally when I happen to have only 1 kid)
1 Peg Perego Venezia Single (was used for mall, but it's missing a peice and I need to order it)
1 Graco Duoglider (Double) (used for mall and grocery and the like)
1 Mac Triumph Twin (used for traveling)
1 Bob Duallie (used for the zoo, fair, walks around the neighborhood, etc)

and, truth be told, I need another one, as I need a single that can accomodate the baby seat. We don't do that often, but sometimes it's needed. 1 stroller will not be enough to satisfy all of your needs - that whole jack of all trades, master of none thing

LP Mom

I would not recommend either. :sorry!:
This. I bought an Instep Safari Double and sold it within days because I just did not like the quality and it was supper tippy. I then found a BJCCD and it rocks. I would recommend a BJCCD or a BJCMD. Yeah, they are a little more expensive, but well worth it. Much better quality, better handling, no tipping and AWESOME separate canopies. Also, the Instep Safair only fits kids up to 38 inches tall. My toddler was squished against the canopy, but has tons of room in our BJCCD. The BJCCD is being discontinued this year, so watch the sales. The price will keep going down.

MoreLatte

Be patient, sales do pop up. Amazon had the Baby Jogger City Classic for $155 a few months back!

Check the shopping/deals section here often because there are lots of mamas finding great deals and sharing them with us:)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC