How do I prevent this? (photo)

Michi

My oldest is 9 and she often falls asleep in the car.
We have one of two problems when she does....she either slouches or she brings her legs up like this, causing the lap portion of her seat belt to 'ride-up.'
IMG_1657_1.jpg

I am constantly waking her and telling her to "sit up straight" or "put your legs down".... ( which makes her grumpy! But better SAFE and grumpy, then unsafe!;) )

We are going shopping for a new booster this week - (probably a Parkway...) - as she still doesn't pass the 5 step test w/o a booster. Would there be a better option for her? (as you can tell, she's VERY 'leggy') Is the Parkway going to help this?

ADS

SPJ&E

I've heard some talk about using a styrofoam cooler under their feet to help support their legs...I don't know if that would really help in your situation though! I'm not helping here, so I'm going to shutup, lol! I'm sure someone else will be more helpful!

skaterbabs

The PW will help with the head, the wings are much better for sleeping IMO. For her legs, I would say a crdboard box or styrofoam cooler. But you may find the more spportive wings on the PW prevent some of that.

twokidstwodogs

I'm short, with especially short legs, so I feel for her! I think a "footrest" styrofoam cooler or box would be a great idea. I love footrests, and get pretty grumpy myself when I have to sit for long periods without one.

Splash

Wow, that is one tall kid!
Yeah, giving her something to rest her feet on will help all around. If you've got a spare $400, the Recaro Start has a footrest you can buy for it. Yeah, I know that's out.
A sleeping bag rolled up will probably do the trick.

scatterbunny

A styrofoam footrest is the best idea, IMO. :)

I wonder if the seating area is just not deep enough for her, so her thighs are bothered? I liked the new Evenflo Confidence booster because it is depth adjustable for longer-legged kids, but it doesn't have as deep of sidewings as even the Turbo. :(

Michi

Wow, that is one tall kid!

Yeah she IS tall, which surprises me that she doesn't pass the 5 step test. The seat belt really cuts into her neck still though, (AND, although she's tall, she's only 52 lbs, so I just don't feel comfortable putting her in a seat belt alone.)

Her thighs ARE really bothered in the Turbo - which I don't think the Parkway will help that too much, other than that it's more padded. I have searched and searched for a longer (front to back) booster, and I just haven't found one. ( I wish I COULD afford a Recarro, though, I'd buy her one in a heartbeat!) :(

The only thing I have found that seems longer ( I'm not sure as it's 'tied' to the shellf at Wal-Mart...) is a backless Safety first booster. ( It appears to be the bottom-only portion of this seat.... http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4645519

What I don't know, however, is if it comes with one of those straps that pulls the shoulder belt down ???
There's not one attatched to the floor sample, and help in the baby dept. of our Wally World is practically non-existant.
also, I would prefer a high back booster A) for SIP reasons, and B) because she naps so frequently.

scatterbunny

YEah, it doesn't seem like there are any boosters that acommodate the really TALL, really long-legged kids. The Parkway adjusts nice and tall and has awesome SIP, but the seat depth isn't enough. It IS more padded than the Turbo and contours more at the edge of the seat, so it may help.

Papooses has that seat (the Prospect) so maybe ask her to measure the seat depth?

LuvBug

the new evenflo confidence or whatever it is called might be good? it is an improved version of their big kid and supposedly adjustable in depth.

ETA: someone posted the new evenflo, the uptown post. It looks like there is a graco right nex to it, not a good shot but it looks bigger overall than that. Worth a look Id say.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Her thighs ARE really bothered in the Turbo - which I don't think the Parkway will help that too much, other than that it's more padded. >>

That's the old Turbo, the newer ones are even longer in the seat...I think you'll find the Parkway may not be much deeper, but they are curvier downward to not push on the back of the thighs so much.

Morganthe

Yeah she IS tall, which surprises me that she doesn't pass the 5 step test. The seat belt really cuts into her neck still though, (AND, although she's tall, she's only 52 lbs, so I just don't feel comfortable putting her in a seat belt alone.)

Her thighs ARE really bothered in the Turbo - which I don't think the Parkway will help that too much, other than that it's more padded. I have searched and searched for a longer (front to back) booster, and I just haven't found one. ( I wish I COULD afford a Recarro, though, I'd buy her one in a heartbeat!) :(

Wow, she is leggy. At that angle, she looks much older than 9 and the seat looks much too small for her through the hips & seat area.
TBH, there are many back seat & even front seats that I couldn't pass the 5 step test on at 5'8. I'm just too short waisted. I was sitting next to a 5'3 friend and she was taller than me through the torso. :rolleyes: From the photo, that's one of the rear seatbelts that would cut right over my neck too.

I wonder if the new Britax Monarch would help since the belt path would keep it over her legs vs her stomach.
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.htm...0/601-2339393-2570568?ie=UTF8&asin=B000K1MIQI

Too bad, It's not in stock yet. :(
best wishes to her. I have sympathy pains and remember how I'd used to sit just like her, thankfully no car accidents ever happened with the lap belt I was in.

Splash

I've seen the Monarch. It's nice, but it's just as shallow as all other Britax seats. It wouldn't give her much more thigh support.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Wow, she is leggy. At that angle, she looks much older than 9 and the seat looks much too small for her through the hips & seat area.

I was thinking the same thing, at first. I thought she was at least 11 or 12. :) But then I realized it was the angle. I looked closely and saw that she is just very tall (leggy).

I think the idea of the styrofoam cooler is an excellent one.

Good luck!!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC