Question What to do re; rf and outgrown triumph??

loganandsoleste

So my daughter is about 1/2 inch from outgrowing the triumph (as measured rf with the perpendicular ruler post on here). The problem is she is only 2 1/2 years old, and about 24 pounds. I really don't want to turn her around yet. However, we have a Subaru outback and the marathon or Radian installed rf literally makes the front passenger touch the glove box. No help to install it in the middle either, as there isn't enough room to help, and my 6' husband can't sit that close to the wheel anyway. So, we can NOT afford to get a new car with more room for rf. Any ideas??
I'd really like to be able to keep her rf as long as possible!
TIA:)

ADS

kittykate

Have you tried installing the seat at a 30* angle? Since your daughter is 2.5 she no longer needs the 45* newborn recline rear facing and her seat can be installed as upright as 30*

The radian can be tricky to get more upright, but it is usually fairly easy with the Marathon and it takes up a lot less room when it is installed more upright :)

ETA: These threads might be useful to you...

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=89379

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=89375

Pixels

Did you try installing the Marathon more upright? Pull the seat away from the bight (where the vehicle seat back and bottom meet) an inch or two, and press down near the harness adjuster while tightening. Older, neurotypical children don't need the full 45 degree newborn recline. Once the child has good head control, the seat can be installed up to 30 degrees.

My friend has a small subaru and she originally had her daughter in a roundabout... around the time her daughter was 18 months she had outgrown her roundabout rear facing, and needed a new seat, she was not sure what to do cause she was worried a taller seat wouldn't fit.

I went along car seat shopping with her and we tried True fit RA 50 marathon, any one of my radians....

Well she went with the marathon cause she loved how it installed and the fit is great, you just have to get a more upright install..

I would look into the RA 50 or marathon, the true fit was ok too, rock solid but it had to be a little more upright than I like for a true fit, and the radian was a really close call..

We did not try an EFTA

Mommy2Marcus

I own a tiny 2 door Subaru Impreza. I have fit a Marathon, AOE, My Ride 65, EFTA & a TrueFit. It does make the passenger seat a little closer to the dash, but not to terribly bad. I have installed them more upright at closer to a 30 degree angle.

Also is she in a newer style Tirumph or an older style Triumph. That makes a HUGE difference in what we would reccomend.

loganandsoleste

She's in the older style Triumph... I guess I don't know the difference between the older one and the new one. We bought it for my son, so about 3-4 years ago. DOM was '04. Is the marathon or Radian allowed to physically touch the front seat? I don't know why our '05 is so much smaller than our '99 Subaru Outback? Does anyone know if the Marathon or RAdian (or something else) can be used with latch rear facing longer than the other?thanks again, you guys are great!

Mommy2Marcus

She's in the older style Triumph... I guess I don't know the difference between the older one and the new one. We bought it for my son, so about 3-4 years ago. DOM was '04. Is the marathon or Radian allowed to physically touch the front seat? I don't know why our '05 is so much smaller than our '99 Subaru Outback? Does anyone know if the Marathon or RAdian (or something else) can be used with latch rear facing longer than the other?thanks again, you guys are great!

The newer Triumph is MUCH better & quite a bit taller. With the fact that you have the older style, then I would look at:
Evenflo Triumph Advance (EFTA)
Graco My Ride 65 (MR) (this seat goes to 40lbs RF)
The First Years True Fit (or True Fit Premier)

However with as smalle as she is I would deffinatly look into another convertible to keep her RF longer. If you really like your older style Triumph then I would look into the EFTA. She should get another year or more out of it RF. My son still fits RF at 3 years old in the EFTA with room to grow above his head with a 14 inch torso. Another great option is the MR. Both of these seats fit really well RF in smaller cars. Here is a picture of my DS RF in the EFTA at 2 1/2 years old, so about 6 months ago.
014-3.jpg

017-3.jpg

Also for comparison, here he is about 3 months ago RF in the MR!
003-11.jpg

Either seat will offer her a TON more room.

abacus2

Before you give up on using the Marathon RFing if you already have one, try installing the Marathon more upright and making sure the front passenger seat is upright rather than reclined. Unless your car manual says otherwise it is ok for the RFing seat to touch the seat in front of it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC