The geat debate...

AtTheSouthDam

Would you get a MA or Signo as a FF only seat?

DD2 is now 33.5# fully dressed. DH wants a sporty car with those contoured seats in the back. I figured one of these seats would probably install the best back there. The Nauti and FR are so huge that I can't imagine them fitting with out fighting with them, defeating the purpose of DH being able to install it as needed. The base on these seats would make it easier I think.

DD2 demanded to FF today. I compromised and told her she could in daddy's car since I don't think RF would work anyway. She is still fairly short torsoed. RF in the MA she has about 4" of shell over her head (she'll hit weight first at this rate!) and 4" until the top slot! She had 1/2" of torso growth in relation to the 2.5" of overall growth in the past year. So I think either one would get her to booster age.

I could wait until he gets his car but if I order one now I could get it in time to take on vacation with us and let DD1 use the RN so I don't have to gate check her booster. I've traveled with a MA before and the base it sits on makes it comfortable enough to sit next to. And it would puzzle better with the RN for the 3 across we need to do when we get there.

What do you think? Am I missing something or am I thinking this through okay?

ADS

MySillyKids

The only seat my DH would allow in his 2 seater honda s2000 is the nautilus. It fit between the sides of the seat, and didn't squish there the leg part on the seat.

AtTheSouthDam

this is the back seat I am dealing with. Those buckle make me think a car seat that sits up high will work best.

sm_backseat1.jpg

canadiangie

this is the back seat I am dealing with. Those buckle make me think a car seat that sits up high will work best.

sm_backseat1.jpg

Does this car have LATCH?

Something about those seatbelts makes me think incompatible to be honest. :eek:

Definetely a try-before-you-buy situation, and I'm not sure I'd rule out other seats as well.

Good luck!

AtTheSouthDam

My BRU doesn't let you try first. They claim they have a test bench for that reason :(

ETA: I had another post going about this when DH was pondering this car and others have said they have gotten MA and Sceneras back there so it must be possible :) I really want another RN but I don't think it will work...

Kaede's_Mom

My DH drives nothing but sports cars. The only seat I have found that installs in all of them is our MA and it will RF in a few of them. It is great for bucket seats like shown since the base is just tall enough to bost the carseat up out of the buckets. Those seat belts pictures look tricky, but it might be able to be done if you fight with it a bit. Our GN doesn't install in all our bucket seats and is a pain to install in deep buckets with out LATCH.

Do he know what kind of car he is wanting (sorry if I missed that somewhere). We have installed in many sports cars and countless two door sportty cars.

jujumum

I would rather ff in the Signo or BV due to the extra head protection, over an MA. The MA or BV would be lighter than the Signo for travel. I think an MA/BV would work in those seats, but have no experience with a Signo.:)

Kaede's_Mom

The Britax's will fit. In that car if you can swing the extra money go with something with headwings like the PP said. It will be a pain to install and will need to FF. It may take a few tries to get it in, but it will go in. We have had ours in a late 90's and one of the new body styles too, it was even harder in the 2007 we had it in even with LATCH and we ended up using the seat belt. I couldn't get enough recline in either while RF.

Hope that helped a little.

kathysr98

I've had great luck putting the Signo in deep buckets like that. I have a Mustang Mach 1 for an occasional driver, and my dad has a constant parade of different cars. I have never found a car I couldn't put the Signo in.

AtTheSouthDam

Thank you for everyone's help while DH got a car and with my car seats debat. DH bought his car tonight. It's a 2000 Honda Civic LX :eek: He wasn't even considering Honda's as far as I knew!

So now I have many more options for seats.... Too many choices! :p

The Eclipse was sold out from under him. :(

romanoma

kind of a moot point now, but I have also installed a signo FF in deep bucket seats of a mustang, it was rock solid.

OP, since you now have more options, I would definitely get the signo for FF use, but then I do love love the signo. In a tiny little sports car, I think the added padding and wings on the signo will be a great benefit. Plus, there are great deals on them right now!!

However, it will not make a great travel seat since it is heavy and bulky. After traveling with a radian and a EFT I swore I would only ever travel with radians in the future. Is there another seat you can travel with?

Good luck!

djma

Signo! We loved our's for FF. DH has had 2 mustangs - and it fit in both. The only hard time I had was getting it *into* a Vette - but it installed fine, it was just getting it in the car. :p

Mommy0608

Now that you have more options, I'd actually recommend trying lower profile seats. If the back seat is anything like my DH's 2003 Civic, putting a taller seat back there is a little less convenient for getting kids in and out of. Perhaps the Nautilus would work in there? The Signo just sits up so high, plus the Nautilus has has higher top slots so it'd last longer (I know your DD has a short torso though). :twocents:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC