Annoyed by Army safety video

Kellyr2

So my DH had to do an online safety course last night and it was on driving safety. The majority of it was talking about drunk and reckless driving but there was one tiny section on child safety. Here's how it went (all scripted, not real world stuff)
Woman is driving and gets pulled over by an "MP" (i doubt he was an mp). She gets out of the car yelling that apparently his pulling her over was somehow compromising her child's safety. The dialogue really made no sense. So then she goes around to the other side, opens the FRONT door, and there's her son. She reaches in and pulls him out. he's in an OHS, but it didn't look to me like she even pulled the shield up to take him out, meaning he could have been in there unbuckled, but maybe that just didn't show up well. The "MP" asks how old the child is and then tells her that children under the age of 12 should be in the backseat, because the airbag can kill younger children. Now, of course, this is a child around 18 mo and is FF, in his OHS, in the front. So then, the other MP there reaches in and takes out the carseat. I dont mean uninstalls... it took him about 2 seconds total and I KNOW I didn't see him unthreading any seatbelt! It was just SITTING on the front seat! Then he reached in and put it into the backseat. And that's all while the other guy is doing his speech on airbags and kids, and riding in the backseat being safest. Oh and the woman's lame excuse (told you the dialogue was bad) was that her husband lost the manual and she was in a hurry, that's why it was in the front seat. I don't even think the most carseat illiterate would say that being in a hurry meant the front seat was easier.
So, my annoyances - 1 - that for the sake of a safety video, they had a woman drive on a road with her child in the front seat, in an uninstalled seat. 2 - that the ONLY thing they discussed was the need to ride in the front seat. No other mention of carseat safety stuff, nothing about visiting a tech, etc. They did say at the end of the segment that you can visit your base safety office for help with carseats - but I know I wouldn't trust them, they aren't techs. (at least none here are)
Dh was cracking up that I was getting all pissy over a stupid 1 minute long safety clip on his moronic test. (I could have passed it before I even started studying to get my permit LOL)

ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Well, my gooddness, that is just a totally ridiculous segment! :eek: :confused: It is so FRUSTRATING & infuriating when anything related to the federal government isn't practicing/encouraging safest practice since NHTSA is federal :mad:

Lys

Senior Community Member
Kelly,
They do have certified techs in the safety office on Ft Bragg. Not sure if you meant there or Pope. I've spoken to them before about seat cheks for LLL.
also, the safety office at Womack has several techs as well.
I've given them (Safety Office coordinators) both my card in the past to contact me to volunteer for seat checks.

Kellyr2

Do they really? I"d been told at some point that they don't. well, then that's cool! I think I'm going to see if they have cards. I'd take some and stick them in windshields. hows that for passive aggressive? LOL hand out cards for someone else to be the bad guy! :) I see SO many clueless people on base. And so many who I knowo just donj't realize that they're making mistakes - like the infant in a snowsuit i saw the other day. but worse is the horrible 10 yr old seats installed all wrong with a teeny tiny one FF>

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC