Ugh...someone help me fix my head. LOL

strollerfreak

Senior Community Member
...no I'm not talking mentally...that requires more help than anyone person could give. :D

I've got a cold...and I'm pregnant. Bleh.

What can I take to try and kick this beasty to the curb? I always end up with a monster cold in my 3rd trimester that lingers until I deliver...it's like my immune system just gives out in my 3rd trimester. I just want to make sure that THIS cold doesn't turn into a 2 month one.

My head is stuffy & plugged up, but my nose isn't running. I'm coughing, and this morning I could feel pressure in my chest a little when I was coughing.

Anyone know any OTC stuff that's safe that I can take, or a herbal remedy of vitamins that can help speed the healing process?

ADS

Dillipop

I know you want to try not to take any OTC, but there are times when your health may make it necessary. Call your doctor or midwife for safe recommendations for either OTC or home remedies that will help. I was told I could take a small dose of benydryl and I believe in the third trimester sudafed was ok in small amounts, but it is always better to check with your md.

LEAW

I'm right there with ya... due in a few weeks and so grumpy... I figure a happy mama makes a happier and healthy baby, so I use meds if I need... so far I'm doing megadoses of vitC, drinking lots of decaf tea w/honey, water w/lemon, and using OTC at night. Be careful with vit A,E,D,K as they are fat soluable and stay in your body, everything else is water soluble so you pee out the excess.

REST!

Ok, these are safe meds (typing from the list my midwife handed me, she's VERY conservative about OTC meds).

Cough/cold:
Robitussin, Mucinex, Robitussin Max. strength cough, Vicks 44 cough relief, robitussin dm, vicks 44E, cough drops, vicks vaporub, AVOID PSUEDOEPHEDRINE AND PHENYLEPHRINE

Headache:
anacin asprin free, tylenol

Allergy:
Chlor=trimeton allergy tabs, alavert, claritin, tavist ND, benadryl,

lovinwaves

Hi Melissa!!!! We should get together soon!!

Anyways, I was totally against taking any OTC medicine when I was sick, but oh my was I sick!! I ended up getting a list from my OB that had all the OTC medicine that I was allowed to take while pregnant. The list did change tho when I was breast-feeding because some of the meds can dry up your milk supply.

I took Sudafed at night to help me sleep and used saline nasal spray during the day. I also would take regular strength Tylenol during the day to help with my sinus headaches. The problem with Sudafed is after a couple of days your body seems to get used to it, so it is not as effective. Then you would have to alternate with another kind of medicine.

My doctor told me to stay away herbal and natural stuff, because it it not approved by the FDA? She also said not to because it has not been tested on pregnant women to know the effects it would have on an unborn fetus?

Awww I hope you feel better!! Did you see the recall on your E3 stroller?

Last edited:

southpawboston

My doctor told me to stay away herbal and natural stuff, because it it not approved by the FDA? She also said not to because it has not been tested on pregnant women to know the effects it would have on an unborn fetus?

wow, i am truly amazed your doctor recommended that. that's rich about the FDA. so because they don't control a substance, you are warned to stay away from it based on its "unkown safety". like a loft of the drugs on the FDA approved list are safe? i happen to work in drug research and development, and i wouldn't trust the FDA in telling me what's safe for me and my family. just read up on the artifical sweetener aspartame (nutrasweet) and how it happened to get approved way back in 1980 after years of rejection by the FDA. then you'll think twice about the FDA. lobbies, lobbies, lobbies.

sorry for going O/T.

despite what i said, i do think one should trust one's doctor over any comments made on an internet forum.

Last edited:

Dillipop

Most lists given by an OB/midwife has OTC drugs on it that have been used for many, many years in pregnant women and have shown very few or more often no adverse affects. You will not find any new medications on the list and you will not find any medications that they are just not sure of.

That being said, my midwife cautioned against herbal remedies because we just don't know. There has been no study of affects on pregnancy and most have not been used by a large population during pregnancy to show if they have any effects. I think it is one of those better safe than sorry things. There are some approved herbal remedies, like peppermint tea for nausea, and I am sure any tea that creates steam will help with stuffiness. With some of the others, we just don't know...so always consult with your doctor before taking any medication during pregnancy.

strollerfreak

Senior Community Member
Yeah, I have some of the "new" Sudafed that doesn't have whatever it was in it that made them put it behind the counter? Bought it right before I was pg this summer.

That stuff was a waste of money.:rolleyes:

I know that there was a good mix of vitamins to help with the healing process...just couldn't remember what they were... A & C sound familiar though. May have to make a run to the pharmacy later when DS#2 is at preschool.

southpawboston

Yeah, I have some of the "new" Sudafed that doesn't have whatever it was in it that made them put it behind the counter? Bought it right before I was pg this summer.

That stuff was a waste of money.:rolleyes:

agreed! that derivative of pseudophedrine is useless. i've been told that you can ask the pharmacist for the "real" sudafed and that with discretion they can sell it to you OTC from BTC (behind the counter, lol). supposedly it's not illegal to sell but stores don't want to stock it on their shelves.

bp2002

Any of the "old" Sudafeds are available, just behind the counter, and alot of the time they take info down if you buy them. They track those or something because you can use the ingredients to make drugs. (I can't spell the psuedo stuff to save my life!) But you dont need an RX to get them, just ask.

The new stuff that is on the shelves is the "PE" stuff, and useless.

Lauren

Lys

Senior Community Member
Just wanted to add that breastmilk works wonders for a stuffy nose ;)
and All natural too.

strollerfreak

Senior Community Member
Just wanted to add that breastmilk works wonders for a stuffy nose ;)
and All natural too.

Ok, just so you know how bad I'm off my rocker...

I'm sitting here imagining how I'm supposed to get my own boob in my mouth...

I'm KIDDING! Though if I had any on hand I wouldn't hesitate to use it, because it always worked on my kids!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC