Generations 65...4 year old + comparison pics

Shaunam

Took DS to babies'r'us today and tried him in the Generations 65. *I'm* impressed with the top slots on this seat, though I know a lot of people are disappointed. Not super high, but good for the money. No tape measure, but I do have comparison pics. Adrian is about 43" tall and hovering around 40 lbs.

1007091552a.jpg

1007091552b.jpg

About 1 1/2" of growing room.

1007091749a.jpg

AT the top slots of the My Ride.

0410091156a.jpg

About 1" of growing room in the radian (if you push his sweatshirt down).

regent.jpg

A tiny bit under the third slots of the regent.

0625091454a.jpg

1/2" growing room in EFTA.

I don't have a good pic of it, but he has about as much growing room in this as he does in the apex.

I will definitely be recommending it as a good, cheap HWH seat. I prefer it over the apex simply because you don't have to worry about the adequate head support thing. Obviously not the tallest top slots, but good considering my child is almost 5, with a good-sized torso. He would easily last until 5 1/2 to 6 in this seat.

Oh and it still makes an awful booster. ;)

ADS

Qarin

It looks exactly the same as the old Generations, as far as its geometry. I stuck my almost identically sized 4 year old in ours (manufacture date feb 05) and she fit exactly like that, quite a lot of room in the harness. I remember when I bought it it was one of the few combination seats which was recommended as being "not terrible" as a booster, primarily, I think, because of the lack of closed belt guides. Unfortunately, if you care about lap belt fit (which you must care about), it is terrible. :( I put my 47"/47lb 7 year old in it as a booster and it was so awful I confiscated the seat from my MIL so she wouldn't use it.

Thanks for the pictures of the g65!

MANDY1234

oh and don't for get it can be a do able 3 across... Ohhh I think it was with 1 radian and 1 titan it's been a few weeks so I can't remember :shrug-shoulders:

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
I am VERY impressed with the top slots. They are about 17.5, not 16 as some people have reported. DD is exactly just barely under the second to top slots of the nauti..essentially even with them. One more milimeter of torso, and I'm going to move them up. And she has about 1.5 inches of growing room in the generations.
It's a great (harnessed) seat for the average parent who bought a convertible with low slots and who gets to the point where her 3-4 year old has outgrown it by height and needs a little something more before a booster.....with the slots where they are and the weight limit of 65 lbs, I can't imagine most kids outgrowing it before 5.5-6.5 years old. Ginormous torsos maybe a tad sooner, but it'll still get 98% of all kids to 5, I'd bet. And at only $99, a great deal.
The big issue is the booster. *sigh* Because most parents, (especially those really tight on money) -if they buy a combo seat, are going to USE the booster portion of it when theharness is outgrown, they won't run out and get anotehr dedicate boster like us geeks.

So.....while i really like the seat, I am extremely torn. For the much younger kids, the big 2 and 3 year olds outgrowing comfortsports, sure, I'll recommend it. But if the kid is at least 4 yo and 35+ pounds.....it's a toss up. I'd almost rather see them in a properly fitting turbobooster than have them harnessed in the generations, knowing that in a year or 2, they'll be BOOSTERED in the generations. It's defintiely a parental choice, and i would be sure to inform them to the best of my ability.

Mommy2Marcus

Thanks for the pictures! I am thinking of buying this seat in a few weeks for Marcus for my MIL's car. She is complaining about how big his MA is in her car. She also put him in a backless booster the other day & was trying to do it again today. Deffinatly didn't happen, but she tried. I think she will be MUCH happier with a smaller seat.

April

So, just to confirm that I'm seeing/reading right, he has more room in the harness of the Generations 65 than the Radian?

Shaunam

So, just to confirm that I'm seeing/reading right, he has more room in the harness of the Generations 65 than the Radian?

Yeah, a bit more room. Our radian has 17" slots and if the generations has closer to 17.5" like bobnjess said, that makes sense. If I put the radian bolt upright and don't use the recline, he has a bit more room, closer to 1 1/2" so it probably does depend on how it's installed in the car. The test bench at babies'r'us is whacked though and I couldn't install it. I had to lean it back into the seat a bit so he could sit in it without it tipping forward off the bench, so that might have been a good comparison to how it would fit if it were slightly reclined in the car. But it installs bolt upright like a lot of combos, he might even have MORE room.

Shaunam

I am VERY impressed with the top slots. They are about 17.5, not 16 as some people have reported. DD is exactly just barely under the second to top slots of the nauti..essentially even with them. One more milimeter of torso, and I'm going to move them up. And she has about 1.5 inches of growing room in the generations.
It's a great (harnessed) seat for the average parent who bought a convertible with low slots and who gets to the point where her 3-4 year old has outgrown it by height and needs a little something more before a booster.....with the slots where they are and the weight limit of 65 lbs, I can't imagine most kids outgrowing it before 5.5-6.5 years old. Ginormous torsos maybe a tad sooner, but it'll still get 98% of all kids to 5, I'd bet. And at only $99, a great deal.
The big issue is the booster. *sigh* Because most parents, (especially those really tight on money) -if they buy a combo seat, are going to USE the booster portion of it when theharness is outgrown, they won't run out and get anotehr dedicate boster like us geeks.

So.....while i really like the seat, I am extremely torn. For the much younger kids, the big 2 and 3 year olds outgrowing comfortsports, sure, I'll recommend it. But if the kid is at least 4 yo and 35+ pounds.....it's a toss up. I'd almost rather see them in a properly fitting turbobooster than have them harnessed in the generations, knowing that in a year or 2, they'll be BOOSTERED in the generations. It's defintiely a parental choice, and i would be sure to inform them to the best of my ability.

Yeah I have the same concern, which is why I didn't recommend the apex that much. It's a better booster than some combos, but really not great, especially if a string bean 5 year old outgrows the harness at 38 lbs.

I try to recommend stuff on an individual basis. If I think the parent isn't up to the task of buying more than one seat, I'm going to suggest the nautilus and nothing less. But if they really are trying their darndest and WANT to do the safest thing and are just struggling with money at the moment, I'd rec this in a heartbeat, and just fully inform them that they need to save for a booster later.

firemomof3

I guess I'm the oddball here, I don't like the Generations at all. Look at how close the straps are on his neck :eek: An older/bigger child is going to horribly irritated by this, don't you think?! Reminds me of the new AOE on the top harness position, it squeezed my dd1's neck:
AOE003-1.jpg

Shaunam

I guess I'm the oddball here, I don't like the Generations at all. Look at how close the straps are on his neck :eek: An older/bigger child is going to horribly irritated by this, don't you think?! Reminds me of the new AOE on the top harness position, it squeezed my dd1's neck:
AOE003-1.jpg

I taught my DS to pull his shirt up so it keeps the straps off his neck. He does that in any seat without strap covers, not just ones that are super close to his neck. It doesn't bother him at all.

PHaley

Definately like and thanks for the comparisons, I would love to swap out the scenera DGDs keep in the babysitters car with one of these...trying to get immature DGD1 to 6 years old and in Kindergarten before boostering her. Maybe a trip to BRU is in order tomorrow ;)

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
How much do they cost? I may have to suck it up and buy 2 for my foster babies for their mom....she is using expired car seats and so far, is refusing to buy new seats...and so far DHS isn't making an issue out of it. I'm about to go over the workers head on this, but at the same time...don't want to have them continuing to ride in expired seats and do not want her to use my seats since they are smokers. :(

Shaunam

How much do they cost? I may have to suck it up and buy 2 for my foster babies for their mom....she is using expired car seats and so far, is refusing to buy new seats...and so far DHS isn't making an issue out of it. I'm about to go over the workers head on this, but at the same time...don't want to have them continuing to ride in expired seats and do not want her to use my seats since they are smokers. :(

$100 each. If they are not big kids though I'd totally go for sceneras first, or maybe a chase if one is taller but not 40 lbs yet. The only reason one of these would be better is if the kid is too big for a regular convertible. Depends on how broke you are I guess.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
One has a really long torso, they other is a peanut. And if they get in regular convertibles, she'll have them in LBB by the time they are 3 (assuming she has them back by then). But if I can somehow swing something HW, maybe, just maybe they'll make it to 4. But I doubt it. :( I'm trying to get some free seats for the time being, and that will buy me some time to save up the moola to get them decents seats for her that I could give her when/if they go home.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC