36 weeks pregnant...

mommygraham

...should I be installing the baby's seat soon? DD was induced one week late and DS came 2 weeks early. My doc seems to think that this one will come early too (apparently he sees patterns of each pregnancy coming earlier and earlier, though I'm not sure I agree). Anyway, how long would you wait before installing it?

ADS

kaysmom

I think now would be a good time...that way you arent in a hurry to do it in the hospital parking lot after you've had the baby, or worse, trying to do it somewhere in labor ;)
But also if you do it know you'll know that it's in there the way you want it to be instead of relying on someone else to do it while your in the hospital. So I'd say go for it!

MANDY1234

I would wait...but that's just me. We installed our seat the day our last baby came lol On our way to the hospital...takes about 2 seconds. I would hate to install my seat and get into an accident, and not have it replaced before the baby comes.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Are you working with a 3-across, or another somewhat tricky installation? If so, I'd do it soon so that you have it done and don't have to worry about the possibility of someone else having to do it if you go into labor unexpectedy. I am dealing with a tight 3-across (in both cars), and I plan to install this weekend at the latest. Should have done it last weekend, but we were at my folks' from Friday until Sunday. I am 37 weeks along tomorrow.

skipspin

I'd at least install it once and see how it goes. If it's easy, DH can do it, etc then take it back out if it's easier without it. If it's a pain for some reason then leave it in.

I installed my base in my three-across, but kept the seat in the house (homebirth) so that it was ready. It also got the kids used to climbing around the base.

AtTheSouthDam

I installed mine before we left for the hospital but I was induced so I wasn't in labor at the time. If it may be a tricky install I would do it know otherwise I would probably wait.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I'd install it, but it depends on your situation.

I really just wanted to post to put a wrench in your doctor's theory. My four kids were born at 38, 36, and 38 weeks.... and the last was born at 41 weeks 5 days. ;)

In any case, best wishes for a safe & happy delivery, regardless of when! :)

Pixels

I had the bases installed in both vehicles super early. I totally did NOT trust DH to do it, and didn't want to do it in labor or after giving birth. We pulled it out a half dozen times and threw it in the trunk to have space, and then I put it back in again.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
"There's no time like the present" was kind of my motto when expecting. :) We had somewhat challenging vehicles for carseats when expecting our first baby (a Saturn SW1 wagon and a Saturn SC1 coupe) and there was a learning curve involved there as first timers. We also had concerns about an early arrival with our second baby. I installed the infant seat bases and taught DH how to redo them if need be before 36 weeks. Plus I'm a planner, lol, and carseat setup was part of my nesting. DD1 was born just shy of 37 weeks, while DD2 arrived at about 38.5 weeks.

Congrats in advance on the pending baby's arrival.

mommygraham

I'd install it, but it depends on your situation.

I really just wanted to post to put a wrench in your doctor's theory. My four kids were born at 38, 36, and 38 weeks.... and the last was born at 41 weeks 5 days. ;)

In any case, best wishes for a safe & happy delivery, regardless of when! :)

Thank you! I had never heard a doctor say this until now. I doesn't make any sense to me. DD was at 41 weeks and DS was at 38 weeks, but I'm not banking on this baby coming any earlier than 38 weeks.

mommygraham

I'd at least install it once and see how it goes. If it's easy, DH can do it, etc then take it back out if it's easier without it. If it's a pain for some reason then leave it in.

I installed my base in my three-across, but kept the seat in the house (homebirth) so that it was ready. It also got the kids used to climbing around the base.

I think I might just go ahead and do this. I've installed it before (this is baby #3), so I'm not concerned about knowing how to do it or anything. I just wasn't sure if installing a car seat at 36 weeks preggo sounded WAY early. Good idea though. I'll just install the base :thumbsup:

4boysmom

yeah I followed that pattern theory thing, to a "T" until #4
#1 40w3d (born 9/25)
#2 39w1d (born 6/20)
#3 36w6d (born 10/25)

actually a pretty astonishing actual pattern of minus 16 days each time, and a 25/20/25 pattern.

#4 was born 41 5 on the 6th day of the month My baby shower was way early because I feared delivering at preemie 34 weeker.

I'd say install now if it isn't going to effect much. I am not looking forward to my three across because it probably means taking two of my kids out of harnesses and into boosters to accomplish.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC