Really cheap infant seat

mommyof3tx

Can someone help me out...well for my friend. Her SIL is about to have her 2nd baby, in the next few weeks and doesn't have a carseat yet. These people (the one having the baby and her parents that she lives with) are NOT very good with carseats....her older son is not quite 2 and has been caught riding in the front seat of the car no carseat at all and didn't even make it to age 1 rear facing...they just don't care about car seat safety. So my friend is trying to help her out finding a seat. She found her one on craigslist for VERY cheap....I think she said $10 for a girly graco seat, at that price I'm led to believe something must be wrong...expired or in a wreck. I told her to do everything she can before getting her a used seat. She does have a new convertible that was given to her but my friend doesn't know the brand...so not sure how well it works for newborns but my friend is concerned that if they have one that CAN be forward facing it will be WAYYY too young. Also since they are bigger, getting them to even use it all the time will be a feat in itself. It's mostly the girl's parents that don't use them...the girl herself just isn't very educated on how to use them properly..but she doesn't have much money at all. I found quite a few Evenflo infant seats in the price range of $50-60 but I hate those seats just from the little bit I have messed with them so I'm not too familiar with them. My friend has one and I know hers can not be used without the base...is that the case with all Evenflo? From pictures it looks like it is...which means more than likely they will still use it without the base...obviously unsafe so trying to avoid those if that's the case too. Can someone let me know the cheapest infant seat out there that is pretty much fail proof? Or is anyone here selling any infant seats that they are selling cheap? I would trust people on here, rather than craigslist

ADS

April

I too don't like the Evenflo seats. If you don't want to go that route, I'd be inclined to say a Safety First Designer 22, BUT, I wouldn't even give them the base. I have zero confidence in those seats when used with the base after the statement Transpot Canada released about them last month, and after watching the crash test videos on them today.

mommyof3tx

Oh ok good so that one is actually better without the base? I know that they move the seat alot because she (the kids mom) doesn't have a car so people are driving her places. Which is why she can't qualify for the free program TX does...you have to have your car or a drivers license apparently. Does anyone know if my friend took her up there and they did the class together since my friend keeps her kids ALOT and drives her around some would they give her the seat then?

mommyof3tx

I'd choose a $40 Scenera before using a used seat.

That's what I suggested first but that's when she got worried about them turning her forward facing at a young age, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if she was that way at a month or 2 old if they had a seat they knew could do it.

amyd

I'd get an Evenflo before a Designer 22, personally. There's another Cosco bucket, though, the Starter, I think it's called.

Jennifer mom to my 7

If she is that worried about forward facing too soon, I would see if she can scrape together 100 for a safeseat 1 from albeebaby. THey still have the nectar and the laguna green. Then the seat only rear faces, and should last until baby is 12-18 months old.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
That's what I suggested first but that's when she got worried about them turning her forward facing at a young age, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if she was that way at a month or 2 old if they had a seat they knew could do it.

If people want to forward-face too early, they will. I'd rather see a baby forward-facing in a convertible seat than an infant seat (and yes, I've seen infant seats rigged to FF).

mommyof3tx

Yeah I've seen people do that too. I know they wouldn't go through the trouble of making an infant seat forward face but if one is able to be installed that way they would. I'm more worried about them not using a seat at all if it's a pain for them to use...like having to move a convertible around (which is why they don't always use the 2yr olds seat) and then the evenflo not being able to just be buckled in without the base I'm sure they would do it anyways without it because that makes it easier then moving the base each time too

MustangMama

If people want to forward-face too early, they will. I'd rather see a baby forward-facing in a convertible seat than an infant seat (and yes, I've seen infant seats rigged to FF).

:yeahthat:

I was going to say the same thing. It doesn't really matter what you get her, she will misuse it somehow if she wants to.

I would also go for the Scenera, that way when it's time for the kiddos next seat, you don't have to worry again about the baby being safe.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
I found quite a few Evenflo infant seats in the price range of $50-60 but I hate those seats just from the little bit I have messed with them so I'm not too familiar with them. My friend has one and I know hers can not be used without the base...is that the case with all Evenflo? From pictures it looks like it is...which means more than likely they will still use it without the base...obviously unsafe so trying to avoid those if that's the case too.

I think that all current Evenflo infant seats can be used baseless now (the Embrace was changed last fall). :thumbsup:

mommyof3tx

Oh really? Thanks! My friend had one she bought like Jan this year and can't use it without the base and from the pics of other ones it looked like that. I'll let her know that the new ones you can :)

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Oh really? Thanks! My friend had one she bought like Jan this year and can't use it without the base and from the pics of other ones it looked like that. I'll let her know that the new ones you can :)

Have her check her instruction manual ... the change was made last fall, I believe, so if she bought the seat in January it's quite possible that it was manufactured before the change.

mommyof3tx

Yeah that friend..diff than the one I'm looking for a seat now...I've seen her seat in person that one def can't go without a base. But we found one for only $60 that can at walmart, my friend is going to try and get her FIL to buy it for her SIL...should be able to :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC