2 year old on top slots of Radian??!?!?!

fyrfightermomma

So yesterday my younger DD had to carpool with a friend and because of logistics (and the fact that a Radian and Kia don't mix very well RFing) had to go forward facing. Now I always knew she had a long torso, but I didn't think it was THAT big. I have no other comparison of her in other FFing seats cause she's only been FFing twice in her life. She looks like she has plenty of room in the XT RFing (about 3" above her head, on third from bottom slots). But when I converted the seat and put it in my van FFing she was right *AT* the second from top slots, so technically needs to be on the top slots. WTF?? She is TWO. Isn't this seat supposed to fit kids until like 5,6 etc?? I mean she looked like she completely filled the seat up and looked really squished. I can't imagine her being much bigger in it.

She is right at the limit height wise of the Marathon RFing if thats any indication on how tall she is. Overall only about 36-37".

So is there something weird with my XT? Do they have lower slots? Or is my 2.5 year old (last month) seriously on the top slots?!?!?

It's out of commission now waiting for a new cover, but I'll snap a pic when I get the new cover.

ETA: I do remember someone on here had a 3 year old who outgrew the Radian. So I guess it's not completely unheard of

Last edited:
ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Uh, my second daughter went FF in the Radian at 2 years, at 2 years 3 mos. she moved up to the top slots... When FF she's really only about 1/2 inch below them now. (But of course, she is RF so she's on the 4th slots. :) )

myliljunebugs

Holy cow! Now I'm scared a little. Except DD only has about a 14-15" torso so surely she will have a while right? RIGHT? :eek: I will need to see pictures.....:D

ETA: Not that I don't believe you, I totally do, I just NEED to see pictures! LOL

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
She'll sloooooow way down, I'm sure of it. And her growth will be in her legs, she'll just stretch out like taffy in the next couple years :D (I thought for SURE Leah would be too tall by now, she's been AT the second to top slots for almost 2 years now, but her sister fit in the seat till age 7 and she's bigger, but not THAT much bigger, really, percentile wise).

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I just NEED to see pictures! LOL

Did someone say pictures?! ;) (Okay, okay, I know you wanted to see photos from the OP, but I couldn't resist...)

This is my DS on the top slot of the Radian when he was two:

Ron-071021-1335-199.jpg

fyrfightermomma

She'll sloooooow way down, I'm sure of it. And her growth will be in her legs, she'll just stretch out like taffy in the next couple years :D (I thought for SURE Leah would be too tall by now, she's been AT the second to top slots for almost 2 years now, but her sister fit in the seat till age 7 and she's bigger, but not THAT much bigger, really, percentile wise).

The funny thing is, she really isn't growing. She's been the same height for close to 6 months and hasn't gained any weight in close to a year. So she's probably always been like this in the seat, I just never noticed cause I never tried. So she can't slow down too much cause she isn't growing LOL :whistle: I'm a little afraid of what will happen when she does finally slow down!

fyrfightermomma

Did someone say pictures?! ;) (Okay, okay, I know you wanted to see photos from the OP, but I couldn't resist...)

This is my DS on the top slot of the Radian when he was two:

Man I need to learn to multiple quote

Anyways..... that is EXACTLY how she looks in the seat!! Fills it out, shoulders maybe 2" below the top slots, and the ears in the same spot. She looks almost like an identical fit. I gotta get pics to show you. Agghhhh. When did he end up outgrowing it?

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
When did he end up outgrowing it?

He's actually still in it! :thumbsup: (Well, I think, we actually haven't used it for a couple of weeks, and I've noticed he has grown a bit. :eek:) We're taking SK's word that you can use it over the top slots. ;) I've got a more recent photo somewhere... I'll try to track it down.

Splash

Charlie was at the top slots in a MA at 2 years old. He's still in the top slots at four years old. I think he's shrinking, even. He has not grown torso wise at all in the past two years. He's outgrown pants and shoes like crazy, but wore the same coat for three winters in a row and the only reason he can't wear it this year is the sleeves are too short.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
AJ moved to the top slot about 2 mos before his 3rd birthday. He still fits at almost 6.5yo, barely but still fits.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
O....M....G... y'all make huge babies right? Please say these are just extraordinarily tall/long torsoed kids?!

Well, we all know I have mutant torsoed children. My 1 1/2 year old is almost ready to move up to the 4th slots on her RF Radian.:p

myliljunebugs

wow...so these are basically kids that will rearface until they booster right? Like they will outgrow the Radian FF'ing while RF'ing? Or will they still have growing room? I hope their torso's slow down for you!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC