Most booster seats don't provide crash protection?

bubbaray

http://www.vancouversun.com/life/Most+booster+seats+provide+good+protection/2071137/story.html

This was the lead story for the "B" section of the Vancouver Sun today. It also talks about a lot of infant seats failing.

Anyone (yoohoo, Allport?!) know the details?

Specifically, anyone know why the Monterey wasn't tested???

TIA

ETA: http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/safedrivers/childsafety/programs/testing/booster/report.htm
that is the link to the TC testing -- I admit, I can't even begin to figure out the charts or the test results. Did the TB do well or poorly???? That link might as well be written in Greek. Makes no sense to me....

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I've only skimmed -- but that actually seems to confirm what many of us have known all along, that most of the combination harness-to-booster seats do not make good boosters.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Specifically, anyone know why the Monterey wasn't tested???

TIA

ETA: http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/safedrivers/childsafety/programs/testing/booster/report.htm
that is the link to the TC testing -- I admit, I can't even begin to figure out the charts or the test results. Did the TB do well or poorly???? That link might as well be written in Greek. Makes no sense to me....

I watched all the videos, it seems a few of the newer seats weren't tested (this is also common in the US, where seats can be several years old before NHTSA finally gets to them for compliance testing purposes).

sparkyd

That link is to results of "research testing" of booster seats, not "compliance testing". Booster seats do not currently undergo dynamic testing (for compliance) in Canada (though they will soon).

This link has further links to compliance testing and research testing.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/roadsafety/...y-programs-regulations-research-index-883.htm

The research testing info seems to be new (hence the news report, I guess). Someone else asked about it in another thread.

http://car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=100569

tiggercat

I'm surprised that the Clek backless boosters scored so poorly. The belt fit on the Olli is excellent, I don't see how you would get abdominal injuries out of it? And how on earth did the Coscos and Evenflo combo seats not do worse? And Turbos had a bunch of abdomen injuries too? Did they put the screws in :whistle:

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I'm surprised that the Clek backless boosters scored so poorly. The belt fit on the Olli is excellent, I don't see how you would get abdominal injuries out of it? And how on earth did the Coscos and Evenflo combo seats not do worse? And Turbos had a bunch of abdomen injuries too? Did they put the screws in :whistle:

I'm also surprised about the clek, but one thing discussed in great detail on the booster page is the hypothesis that because the seat doesn't move with the child, and is relatively short in depth, this influences the actual performance in a collision.

As Nicole mentioned in the other thread, we're working on something, so try and sit tight. :thumbsup:

tiggercat

I'm also surprised about the clek, but one thing discussed in great detail on the booster page is the hypothesis that because the seat doesn't move with the child, and is relatively short in depth, this influences the actual performance in a collision.

As Nicole mentioned in the other thread, we're working on something, so try and sit tight. :thumbsup:

I heard there is going to be some discussion at our next refresher, so I'm guessing this is what it is about.
I suppose it makes me feel better that Greg's Olli isn't latched right now because the 3rd row doesn't have UAS.

U

Unregistered

I watched the booster footage of the ones that my family uses and looked at the chart
Evenflo big kid deluxe
Turbobooster hb
and GN (not being used as a booster yet but may as a spare later on)

If I understood the video and the chart the truboboosters did the worst out of those 3?

I was thinking on getting a compass and it looked like it did a good job to better then the turbo (esp in the Jeep Compass with those darn head rest wonder if the compass will fit Jeep commander?)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC