safe seat vs snug ride

MJHY27

Can you use eiher of these seats on a 4lb baby? which has a better fit? I know a key fit is the preferred choice but could a safe seat or snugride be an option?

ADS

gecikuh

Senior Community Member
i have never seen a snugride or safeseat fit a 4 lb baby well. or a 5 or 6 lb baby for that matter. not sure the min. weight on them, but i'm sure lots of other people do.

MJHY27

The reason I am asking is I know someone who has a preemie to bring home from the hospital (might be 5.5lbs but could only be 4lbs when they get to come home), I am pretty sure they have a snug ride and I was wondering if offering my safe seat would be helpful or not.

Mommy0608

They both have a 5lb minimum. The crotch buckle is pretty far out for a preemie, and the harness might not be below the shoulders.

If these are absolutely the ONLY options, I'd measure both and see which has the lowest harness slots and shortest crotch buckle depth. It can be helpful to put a rolled washcloth in front of baby's crotch to fill the gap so that the baby doesn't slide forward (yes, this is a safe and approved modification). They'll likely also need rolled towels or receiving blankets around the baby's sides and head to prevent slumping to the side.

If the Keyfit or Safety 1st OnBoard 35 are feasible, I'd go for one of those.

gecikuh

Senior Community Member
I don't think snugride vs safeseat will make much difference at all. Baby will not fit well in either one of those for a bit. It is still acceptable as long as the bottom slots are below the shoulders and he or she meets the minimum weight requirement. The hospital will also do a carseat test prior to discharge to ensure the baby can ride safely in the seat without dropping heart rate, respiratory rate, or oxygenation level in the blood.

Mae

Here's a comparison picture of the SnugRide (left) and SafeSeat (right) so it looks like the SafeSeat actually has a lower first harness setting.

DSCI1525.jpg
DSCI1527.jpg

TheNimpsGirl

I would try and get a different seat honestly. I know all seats fit kids different but we brought DS home in the SS1 and honestly, if he has been any smaller he would not have fit. The harness was at his shoulders and I had the harness pulled as tight as I could. He was 7lbs 5 oz when he went home and 20.5" long. He has a short torso but still, I was only okay with the fit, not super happy. I can't imagine a 4 or 5 lb baby in it (though I'm sure others have fit just fine).

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Yeah, I'd go for a different seat if at all possible.

The Keyfit and the Safety 1st OnBoard are both rated from 4 lbs.

The Combi Shuttle is "from birth."

chelle80

Baby probably won't fit in the safeseat at all, the chest clip is so huge my 5lb 8.5ozs little one almost didn't fit. My 6lb 2ozs (pic in siggy of her in it) little one just barely fit.

I would really try and get a keyfit, but if not possible I would definetly go with the snugride over the safeseat.

MJHY27

thanks for the replys! It's not for my use, I just know some people who need to bring home a preemie and the baby might only be 4lbs when they get released. I was just wondering if offering my SS1 would be helpful at all. I'm sure the nurses will release them only in a properly fitting carseat and they will buy a new one if they need to.

Mommy0608

thanks for the replys! It's not for my use, I just know some people who need to bring home a preemie and the baby might only be 4lbs when they get released. I was just wondering if offering my SS1 would be helpful at all. I'm sure the nurses will release them only in a properly fitting carseat and they will buy a new one if they need to.

Don't be so sure of that. :( Here, the hospital only requires a car seat - doesn't matter if it fits, is installed well or anything, you just have to have a car seat. They aren't trained to check that it fits properly. I know that preemies will have to have the car seat test, but I don't know if they'll actually check the proper fit of the car seat or just whether the child's heart/respiratory functions are affected.

cookie123

Where I work the car seat test doesn't really include fit, so much. Most kids go home in Snug rides or Safe seats, and the harness height is generally above the shoulders. Occasionally they'll recommend a new seat for a really small baby in a 3 point harness.

Still, Graco, or any other 5 lb minimum seat manufacturer that I emailed for information, does not recommend using their seat if the weight minimum is not met or if the harness is not at or below the shoulders.

DahliaRW

My 7lb dd barely fit in the SS1 a few days after birth when we first took her out. I would definitely do a keyfit for a smaller baby, or another seat. I was regretting not getting a keyfit30 at first, but within a few weeks she fit just fine and 6 weeks later I had to move the harness up!

If her baby is in the NICU, they do seem more stringent on car seat guidelines being met then a baby who is born early, but fine and goes home a couple of days later. I think mostly because they do do the car seat tests.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC