Holy growth spurt! DD's RF days are numbered.

Mommy0608

I'm shocked and sad. :( I weighed Jessica today on a nice digital scale, and she's 33lbs wearing very light canvas shoes, jeans, a t-shirt and a super thin/light jacket. That means that with a sweatshirt, boots and a fleece jacket, she'll be at the RF limit of her True Fit. :crying:

I knew she had/is having a major growth spurt, but I didn't expect her to gain THIS much since her 3 year check-up in June when she was 29lbs. I really, really thought we'd make it to at least 4 years old. :(

No, I'm not turning her now. I'm going to weigh her weekly and wait until she actually hits 35lbs. Hopefully she's done with the growth spurt, but still, with the addition of winter weight clothing and boots, she'll be awful close.

Unfortunately, getting a higher weight RF seat isn't an option. The My Ride is too short, Radian has install issues - don't like that someone else can't install it in an emergency plus she's close to outgrowing it by height anyway, so I doubt she'd make to 40lbs RF in it. I already bought and returned the Complete Air for several reasons. I reeeeeally wish Learning Curve would increase the RF limit on the True Fit. It's really the perfect seat for her. :(

Please tell me I'm not making a mistake by not getting a higher weight RF seat for her. Hopefully we can get a few more months out of her current seat before I turn her, and she'll be 3.5 years old. Oh, and she'll be FF in the Signo when the time comes so that Tyler has more room RF, and because I like the wings on the Signo for FF use.

I can't WAIT to hear all the comments from friends and family about how much happier she'll be FF. :mad:

:crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying:

ADS

NannyMom

I'll cry with you :crying: Sorry :( I'm sorry none of the 40 pound RF seats work for you :( She's made to 3, you've done a great job.

Do you happen to remember how much she weighed at 2 or 2.5? Sofi was just 29 at her 3 year check up, I'll have a heart attack if she has another spurt and is 33 in a few months like Jessica (like you are now :eek:).

Mommy0608

Jessica was 23-24lbs and 35" at her 2 year check-up (don't remember it exactly down to the ounces). I don't know what she was at 2.5. She has gained 10lbs and about 6-7" in 15 months!!! HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE?!?! :eek: :(

jujumum

Awww! You've done so good for so long!

The good news is, she might not hit 35lbs until her 4th birthday. My dd was 33lbs at 3 years and 4 months, and still hasn't quite hit 35lbs. She's still 34.5lbs or so, and likely won't be exactly 35lbs until her birthday in December.

Mommy0608

Awww! You've done so good for so long!

The good news is, she might not hit 35lbs until her 4th birthday. My dd was 33lbs at 3 years and 4 months, and still hasn't quite hit 35lbs. She's still 34.5lbs or so, and likely won't be exactly 35lbs until her birthday in December.

Yes, this is true, but unfortunately with winter clothes and boots she could be at 35lbs much sooner. If only it were spring, not fall! Is your DD 34.5 with or without clothing/shoes?

jujumum

We always weigh her with clothes but no shoes. She mostly wears flip flops and light clothes as we're in FL.

I just ran and weighed her - she is now officially 35lbs (with no shoes).:(

Raegansmom4

Good job w/ rear-facing this long! I bet you get a bit longer, though. Just be glad you don't have a 29.5 lb 18-month-old like I do!! I must really, really have a chunkers since your dd weighed 29 lbs at 3!

ginny4

keep the boots off!!:whistle:

that is some growth spurt!!

i think its fabulous that she stayed rfing for so long. how wonderful! :love:

side note: i tested out the CA today with james. & OH MY GOSH the harness is SO close together - looked liek his head would get chopped off. i liked it but it certainly has its cons along with all the pros. he'd have plenty of RFing height room which i liked best.

Mommy0608

Aww, sorry to hear that she's 35lbs. :( Sounds like our DDs are very similar in size for their age. We don't really have the option to wear flip-flops here at this time of year since we're in Michigan and it's already down in the 30s-40s in the morning when we go to school. With all the snow we usually get, she'll be wearing boots in the van. It's too much work for her to put them on and off in the van, so she just wears them.

Actually I just bought her winter boots tonight. I should weigh her with the boots, jeans, a sweatshirt, her coat and hat to see where she's at with all that on.

Mommy0608

Good job w/ rear-facing this long! I bet you get a bit longer, though. Just be glad you don't have a 29.5 lb 18-month-old like I do!! I must really, really have a chunkers since your dd weighed 29 lbs at 3!

She's quite a string bean! Her weight to height ratio on the percentile chart is only 1%, so she's very thin. I tried to measure her height tonight and I think she's around 41" which is quite tall for a 3 year old girl. She's the tallest of all her friends.

My son, however, is quite chunky. He was 24lbs at his 1 year check-up, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if he was 29lbs at 18 months like your child.

keep the boots off!!:whistle:

that is some growth spurt!!

i think its fabulous that she stayed rfing for so long. how wonderful! :love:

side note: i tested out the CA today with james. & OH MY GOSH the harness is SO close together - looked liek his head would get chopped off. i liked it but it certainly has its cons along with all the pros. he'd have plenty of RFing height room which i liked best.

I'd love to keep the boots off, but she has fits about it. If her socks end up wet from the van floor or whatever, she'll FREAK (goes back to all the sensory issues). Plus she's super slow and sometimes needs help and with Tyler along, it can be difficult. However, I might try to make her do that. We'll see.

If she were only 1 or 2 years old, I'd suck it up and get the Radian, even with it's issues. The Complete Air just won't work for her. She hated how close the harness was on her neck and I didn't like how it felt installed in my van. There were other reasons I returned it as well.

kittykate

Hugs :)

We had the same thing happen recently with DS1. He was 29 lbs at his 3 year check up, 29 lbs in July and just in the last few weeks has gone up to 33 lbs (all in undies only.) With autumn clothes and shoes on he was 35.1 lbs, so we ended up FFing him as none of the 40 lbs seats work with both him and our Versa.

Its been three weeks now and I am finally at peace with our decision and have decided that I will not feel guilty about the reality that my son can no longer rear face. He is still riding in the safest manner that he can ride in the car, and that is all that matters!

Jan06twinmom

Jenny -

How did that happen? What have you been feeding her? Miracle Kid-Grow??? LOL!

I thought for sure she would make it to 4 years old rf. I thought she was tracking smaller than Isabelle and our seats only have a 33lb rf limit. Of course, Isabelle only gained like 2-3 lbs when she was 3 years old. I've already started to think about whether I'll let Isabelle sit in a booster pt when she is 6 or 7 years old if she is under 40lbs.

Sorry to hear that she is growing way too fast! But there's always a chance things will slow down and level out for several months. I know that Isabelle hovered at 32lbs for probably close to 4 or 5 months.

Melanie

Mommy0608

Jenny -

How did that happen? What have you been feeding her? Miracle Kid-Grow??? LOL!

I thought for sure she would make it to 4 years old rf. I thought she was tracking smaller than Isabelle and our seats only have a 33lb rf limit. Of course, Isabelle only gained like 2-3 lbs when she was 3 years old. I've already started to think about whether I'll let Isabelle sit in a booster pt when she is 6 or 7 years old if she is under 40lbs.

Sorry to hear that she is growing way too fast! But there's always a chance things will slow down and level out for several months. I know that Isabelle hovered at 32lbs for probably close to 4 or 5 months.

Melanie

Hi Melanie,
I have NO idea what happened. She's a huge eater lately and is still on whole milk because of weight issues when she was younger. She still looks really skinny, which makes it even harder to believe. I'm really hoping she's done with the growth spurt and that the total weight of her winter apparel doesn't exceed 2lbs.

AtTheSouthDam

I'm sorry :( But you did well to keep her RF this long!
I don't think it is some fluke of nature. I watched DD2 go from 29.2 at 3 years to 30# 12 oz at 3 year 6 weeks to 31# 10oz 3 years 2 months! I am a bit afraid to see what she weighs at the followup Thursday, yikes! Oh and she grew an inch as well ;)

TheNimpsGirl

I'm sorry you may not be able to RF her as long as you wanted, but great job keeping her RFing this long :thumbsup:

You said she is almost too tall to RF in the Radian at 41"? Does she still have a lot of room in the TF though shell wise?

Just throwing this out there about her issues with her socks, what if you bought her the ones that have the harder soles to them? Do you know what ones I mean? They usually come out around this time and have grippers on the bottom. I would think (but am not sure) that it would be harder for the bottoms to get wet with that on the bottom.

Mommy0608

Hugs :)

We had the same thing happen recently with DS1. He was 29 lbs at his 3 year check up, 29 lbs in July and just in the last few weeks has gone up to 33 lbs (all in undies only.) With autumn clothes and shoes on he was 35.1 lbs, so we ended up FFing him as none of the 40 lbs seats work with both him and our Versa.

Its been three weeks now and I am finally at peace with our decision and have decided that I will not feel guilty about the reality that my son can no longer rear face. He is still riding in the safest manner that he can ride in the car, and that is all that matters!

Thank you, this post was really helpful! :)

I'm sorry :( But you did well to keep her RF this long!
I don't think it is some fluke of nature. I watched DD2 go from 29.2 at 3 years to 30# 12 oz at 3 year 6 weeks to 31# 10oz 3 years 2 months! I am a bit afraid to see what she weighs at the followup Thursday, yikes! Oh and she grew an inch as well ;)

I should have known Ciara would be doing the same, they're twins of course! :p You'll have to let me know what she weighs Thursday.

I'm sorry you may not be able to RF her as long as you wanted, but great job keeping her RFing this long :thumbsup:

You said she is almost too tall to RF in the Radian at 41"? Does she still have a lot of room in the TF though shell wise?

Just throwing this out there about her issues with her socks, what if you bought her the ones that have the harder soles to them? Do you know what ones I mean? They usually come out around this time and have grippers on the bottom. I would think (but am not sure) that it would be harder for the bottoms to get wet with that on the bottom.

Yes, she's got a few more inches in the True Fit. Here's a picture of her in the Radian a month or so ago:

Same day, in the True Fit:

I do know what socks you're talking about... those might work, as long as they aren't too tacky so that getting her shoes/boots on would be difficult. If I'm thinking of the right thing, I think I've only seen those for baby/toddler sizes. In the past couple of months she has gone from a shoe size 8 to 10.5 or 11. :eek:

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
((((HUGS)))) I know the feelings you're having. It was so easy when my dd1 weighed, like, nothing and could RF as long as we wanted, and dd2 is just so much bigger and we can't :eek: I find it a huge consolation to have top tethered seats with excellent SIP in a nice big van, though. Not AS safe, but still extremely safe. :thumbsup:

Mommy0608

((((HUGS)))) I know the feelings you're having. It was so easy when my dd1 weighed, like, nothing and could RF as long as we wanted, and dd2 is just so much bigger and we can't :eek: I find it a huge consolation to have top tethered seats with excellent SIP in a nice big van, though. Not AS safe, but still extremely safe. :thumbsup:

Yeah... I had high hopes of hitting 4 years old. Up until this growth spurt it was a very realistic goal.

You're right though... we have a nice, new van, seats with (perceived) SIP and top tethers. I know she'll be safe, but it makes me sad that she isn't as safe as she could be... although with the current 40lb seats and the fact that we've tried them all, I suppose it's accurate to say that she is as safe as she can be since those seats won't work for us. Now I just need to convince myself of this. :eek:

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
More ((Hugs)) to you. I can relate because DD2 maxed out the RF capacity of available convertible seats at 35 lbs. in the spring of last year, a few months before her third birthday, and she's pretty much beyond the ERFing capacity of the more recently released 40/40+ lb. capacity ERFing convertibles now as well.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
If the boots she owns are typical, heavy snow boots, I'd agree with lose the boots. What we do is buy an easy on/easy off pair for to/from the vehicle, then she also has a pair of snow boots that either have velcro/bungie toggles, etc. to keep snow out. Her easy on/easy off boots are Sheep Dawgs (link) and as DD climbs in her seat, we just pull a boot off as she lifts a leg.

I just checked the average winter temps for Michigan and it gets WAY, WAY colder where I live and in this situation, these boots work for us for with our way below freezing temps.

Lots of other companies make something similar so they should be easy to find if it interests you.
1.jpg

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC